Author Topic: Is Season 5 of the Wire good compared to the others?  (Read 1074 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Is Season 5 of the Wire good compared to the others?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »

If Omar falls off a building and has this huge limp for the rest of the time, then why does he have no limp at all in the final scene he's in when the kid shoots him in the store? Sloppy production for a sloppy season.

Omar was based off a real life person who existed in Baltimore and robbed drug spots, and that real life person really did jump off the 6th floor of a building and only had a limp afterward.  As as the weeks passed the limp went away.

Watch the scene again, and then watch the scene before it. Just before the store scene in the same episode in the same time frame he's limping, but when he gets in the store he's not. It's just bad editing and post-production. They probably shot both scenarios where the limp passes and the limp doesn't, but they screwed up the takes. For me it's reflective of the amount of time and effort that went into planning this season.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
spoiler alert

watching mcnulty mutilate bodies in order to keep his case open and that whole thing, made me nauseous it was so bad.
and having omar killed by a little nobody kid was so anti-climatic.

Matty

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »
spoiler alert

watching mcnulty mutilate bodies in order to keep his case open and that whole thing, made me nauseous it was so bad.
and having omar killed by a little nobody kid was so anti-climatic.

i thought the way omar was killed off in 'anti-climatic' fashion was quintassential wire - an anti-drama in its emphasis or complete lack of on particular events, however significant. but the whole story with the forging of evidence was the thing that bugged me about season five, far more hyperbole and unrealistic in terms of plot than anything that had come before. not really in the same spirit as the rest of the wire. a let down, but i didn't think it spoiled the show entirely, just the weakest season for that reason.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »

Watch the scene again, and then watch the scene before it. Just before the store scene in the same episode in the same time frame he's limping, but when he gets in the store he's not. It's just bad editing and post-production. They probably shot both scenarios where the limp passes and the limp doesn't, but they screwed up the takes. For me it's reflective of the amount of time and effort that went into planning this season.

your really trippin on this one homie.   If you realize how much the actors and directors cared about this project and how much it meant to them you would never make such a statement.  You really need to check out some interviews/lectures from the shows Creators/writers/and actors and it would certainly change your mind.  Wasn't no half-steppin on this project!
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:09 AM »

your really trippin on this one homie.   If you realize how much the actors and directors cared about this project and how much it meant to them you would never make such a statement.  You really need to check out some interviews/lectures from the shows Creators/writers/and actors and it would certainly change your mind.  Wasn't no half-steppin on this project!

Just explain to me how the limp disappears. If I remember correctly as he's walking to the store he's limping, but in the store he's not. It's plan and simple sloppy post-production.

The bottom line is that the show went from docu-drama to suspense thriller and I didn't like the switch. I've seen all the footage and extras. I was really into the show. The scene Omar dies in actually leaked early and the first thing I said was it's a fake leak because he's not limping. Then in the ep I see him limping and go "I knew it". Then all of a sudden he's not another part of town far away from Michael's corners and that little kid is all of a sudden hanging around there burning cats instead of on his corners like he is all day. The plot was reaching far too long than it ever had in the series and it was silly.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
I agree with Shallow.  I think the Wire is absolutely incredible but season 5 was the weakest.  I still enjoyed a lot of the season but it was rushed and the mcnulty/homeless storyline went way too far.  I was a huge fan of Marlo's character but they made some mistakes with him in season 5 as well.  This just felt like a forced and rushed season without the same level of realism found in the other four seasons.  Still a legendary series though and season 5 was still good imo but definitely the weakest.

DIP DIP SET SET