Author Topic: Is Season 5 of the Wire good compared to the others?  (Read 1072 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Is Season 5 of the Wire good compared to the others?
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
I was thinking about buying Season 5 because it is the only season I haven't seen.  But from what I've heard it is the worst season of the Wire... is that true?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is Season 5 of the Wire good compared to the others?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
It's the weakest season, but it's worth watching.  A few posters on this board really hate it. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »
it really pained me to watch it, it was hard to get through, i wish i never watched it,

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
it really pained me to watch it, it was hard to get through, i wish i never watched it,

I couldnt finish the last season of Oz, so maybe Season 5 of the Wire will be the same way for me.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »
You already invested four seasons in to the series, might as well finish it. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
If you like the wire and you like the characters and don't them ruined forever then don't buy or watch season 5. I wish someone told me this before it came out. If they decided to re-do the season and pretend 5 never happened I'd be all for it.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
You already invested four seasons in to the series, might as well finish it. 

kemizt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
Just finished Season 5.  It was by far the Best Season in my opinion.  Spectacular television.  The way everything came together at the end, with Bubbles moving up in life meant moving up to the living room floor.  Method Man saying Prop Joe didn't mean shit anymore, and Tall Man gunning him down out of respect for Joe.  I mean, it was a great finish. 

And the story lines throughout with Omar hunting Marlo, and McNulty doing anything to get funding, and so on.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »
Just finished Season 5.  It was by far the Best Season in my opinion.  Spectacular television. 

once again you prove your horrendous taste and your aspirations to be 'different'

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Just finished Season 5.  It was by far the Best Season in my opinion.  Spectacular television.  The way everything came together at the end, with Bubbles moving up in life meant moving up to the living room floor.  Method Man saying Prop Joe didn't mean shit anymore, and Tall Man gunning him down out of respect for Joe.  I mean, it was a great finish. 

And the story lines throughout with Omar hunting Marlo, and McNulty doing anything to get funding, and so on.

But you didn't find it completely out of tone with the rest of the series? It's not so much that I hated the season on it's own. Like Godfather 3, if all you saw was that season, or if season 5 had been the first season of the show, it still would have been better than 90% of TV that year. But because the series had a certain style almost through out, it seemed silly to me.

Season 5 of the wire is the best Will Smith film, or season of The Shield, on TV. But compared to the rest of the Wire it's too hokey, over the top, and far fetched to be placed with the other seasons.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »
^The Shield was friggin' awesome, can't believe you didn't like it, then again I don't agree with alot of your posts. Not dissing but you seem to have a weird taste when it comes to entertainment, not everything is real, calm the fuck down.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 04:41:51 PM »
^The Shield was friggin' awesome, can't believe you didn't like it, then again I don't agree with alot of your posts. Not dissing but you seem to have a weird taste when it comes to entertainment, not everything is real, calm the fuck down.

I didn't say anything all that bad about the Shield. In fact I was using it as an example of what realm the season 5 of the Wire would be good in. I could easily see a great 12 episode arc around Vic faking murders to get money and distributing around the station being the hero. It just didn't work in the Wire.

Everything does not have to be real with me. I like some of the silliest things. But when a show is established as this and then because that I think it's stupid, unless it's done for kicks, like Gossip Girl turning into a vampire series after the main girl gets turned into one. That would be very cool, because it would really fuck with the audience of that show.

All this being said, the rape angle of the captain was really stupid, and that dude that killed the cat. I never made it past season 4 because of that garbage.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »
Just finished Season 5.  It was by far the Best Season in my opinion.  Spectacular television. 

once again you prove your horrendous taste and your aspirations to be 'different'

I promise you I'm not the only person that thinks Season 5 is the best.  I love journalism, so it's not surprising that I would like Season 5 considering the newspapers role in the Season.

...and sometimes nicca's just are different, and they ain't trying to be.  Sometimes there's just a disconnect whether they like it or not.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

I promise you I'm not the only person that thinks Season 5 is the best.  I love journalism, so it's not surprising that I would like Season 5 considering the newspapers role in the Season.

...and sometimes nicca's just are different, and they ain't trying to be.  Sometimes there's just a disconnect whether they like it or not.

Let me come right out and say, and you check my post-history when season 5 was airing; the news room scenes of that season were among the best of the series. I feel they went to far with Scott making up the serial killer, but everything up until that moment was incredible and perfect for the tone of the wire.

It's the rest of the storylines that were stupid and inconsistent and sloppy. Just ask youself this one question Infinite with regards to how well thought out that season was;

SPOILER ALERT

If Omar falls off a building and has this huge limp for the rest of the time, then why does he have no limp at all in the final scene he's in when the kid shoots him in the store? Sloppy production for a sloppy season.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »

If Omar falls off a building and has this huge limp for the rest of the time, then why does he have no limp at all in the final scene he's in when the kid shoots him in the store? Sloppy production for a sloppy season.

Omar was based off a real life person who existed in Baltimore and robbed drug spots, and that real life person really did jump off the 6th floor of a building and only had a limp afterward.  As as the weeks passed the limp went away.