Author Topic: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio  (Read 36433 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

Re: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio
« Reply #600 on: November 20, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
^^ werd. a lot of the posts that are praising this track are already on a semi-defensive vibe. if this was really up to standard there would people going nuts and breaking down how well it works or whatever. i'll be the first to admit if this track becomes highly respected over time, compared to other dre or dre-produced singles. i might even grow to really appreciate it a lot more too, but i doubt it.

it aint bad its just average-good, the vocals being the weaker part.

the constant rolling piano was.  everything else was fine.  the piano's should've been used on the break downs and not as the main melody in the beat.  

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio
« Reply #601 on: November 20, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.

I feel that's a cop out.  It's like you're admitting the song isn't substantive, so you're telling people not to analyze it, because the song doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  Think about that, and what you're admitting.

If something is classic, not only is it viscerally pleasurable (for lack of a better term, haha), but it also stands up to intellectual analysis.  Kush doesn't.  I mean, when you listen to the instrumental, do you think to yourself, "This would be a perfect instrumental for a song about smoking!"  NO, you don't.  This song has a disconnect between what I call form and content.  In other words, the content of the song (i.e. the substantive message of the song conveyed via the vocals) does not fit the form of the song (i.e. the musical aspects).

If that's going too deep in analyzing this song, then ok.  But by saying that, you're basically saying to me that this song can't hold up to scrutiny, which to me makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a classic.  Classic music/movies/art do hold up to intellectual analysis and scrutiny.

Not that you're saying this is anywhere near classic.  I'm just making a larger point.

Completely ludicrous. Almost none of Dre's music has substance as far as "intellectual analysis". He makes the opposite of intellectual music. So obviously that's not what makes something classic.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #602 on: November 20, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »
Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.

I feel that's a cop out.  It's like you're admitting the song isn't substantive, so you're telling people not to analyze it, because the song doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  Think about that, and what you're admitting.

If something is classic, not only is it viscerally pleasurable (for lack of a better term, haha), but it also stands up to intellectual analysis.  Kush doesn't.  I mean, when you listen to the instrumental, do you think to yourself, "This would be a perfect instrumental for a song about smoking!"  NO, you don't.  This song has a disconnect between what I call form and content.  In other words, the content of the song (i.e. the substantive message of the song conveyed via the vocals) does not fit the form of the song (i.e. the musical aspects).

If that's going too deep in analyzing this song, then ok.  But by saying that, you're basically saying to me that this song can't hold up to scrutiny, which to me makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a classic.  Classic music/movies/art do hold up to intellectual analysis and scrutiny.

Not that you're saying this is anywhere near classic.  I'm just making a larger point.

Completely ludicrous. Almost none of Dre's music has substance as far as "intellectual analysis". He makes the opposite of intellectual music. So obviously that's not what makes something classic.

indeed

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #603 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
It's always the same shit.  Either you feel it and you state your opinion why or you don't and you state your opinion why.   Then some asshole tells you why you're wrong.  Then you defend your opinion and blam you're either a stan or a hater.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Stan

« Reply #604 on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »

If something is classic, not only is it viscerally pleasurable (for lack of a better term, haha), but it also stands up to intellectual analysis.  Kush doesn't.  I mean, when you listen to the instrumental, do you think to yourself, "This would be a perfect instrumental for a song about smoking!"  NO, you don't.  

Respect the feedback but unfortunately I can't take you seriously b/cuz of your bias.  Look at your name, it's completely disproved.  Yes, I'm admitting it, the song isn't substantive and you are over-analyzing it.  Sure, criticize it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a club-banger and that's it.  I listen to it for what it is...  Analyze it but be fair.

Again with the classic non-sense, I posted it elsewhere that classic comes with time, and that's it.  You can't call a song classic if it's only been out for a week.  Gimme a year or two then we'll see.

When I listen to the instrumental I think this is bad ass, and one of the best one's I've heard in a long time-- party wise that is.  Again, nothing more, not tryna listen to it for what it isn't.  This is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it on a subjective level.  Production wise -sonically- I don't see how you can overlook it in comparison to the other rap shit that is out.   

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #605 on: November 21, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
Fans don't kill records.  Either we feeling it or not.  If the artist doesn't have the balls to put out a record due to fear of response then he should just lay down the mic.  Slaughterhouse was right about the west coast.  Move on.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #606 on: November 21, 2010, 01:30:12 AM »
Why people hating? What did you actually expect? This song is fresh, lots of variety, well thought out. Best rap single I've heard in years. BANGINNNNN
i stilll like to know why this song is fresh.

the best thing about thsi song is the sound, kinda weird to have akon on this not because of his voice but because he said himself that he doesnt smoke...but yeah the sound of it is great the instruments on there the way the song is done! good job
i understand why you like it, but i still don't get the fresh point.
Why people hating? What did you actually expect? This song is fresh, lots of variety, well thought out. Best rap single I've heard in years. BANGINNNNN
i stilll like to know why this song is fresh.
look for same soundin song, ull get the point
there are so many club songs out there.
this one doesn't sound fresh to me. i already mentioned Timbaland & Busta Rhymes' song Touch it.

The only thing I think that's fresh about the track is the mixing - Dre keeps on advancing with making everything bigger and crisper and clearer,
and I think if anything saves the track for me it's the way that the song just jumps out at you in the mixing

But everything else about it isn't fresh -

-He's been using piano melodies for ages now
-The claps are roughly the same
-An Akon chorus - that's the opposite of fresh, everyone has an Akon chorus, didn't Crooked I have an Akon chorus at one stage
-Sort of autotune sounding on that beginning bit - that shit is everywhere
-More upbeat, dance tempo - everything on the radio is at that tempo nowadays
-Doing a Nate Dogg impersonation... it's dope, but it's hardly fresh sounding
-Neither of the verses are really anything in particular, they're sort of just generic verses, so it's definitely not fresh lyrically
-Talking about smoking weed, which has been done for the last 20 years

yeah, i don't see how anyone could come with strong arguments for why this is fresh

JML-G

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #607 on: November 21, 2010, 02:49:09 AM »
btw, i wonder if Roscoe will actually be featured on Detox  ???

Mietek23

« Reply #608 on: November 21, 2010, 02:54:34 AM »
25 pages already, lol - only on Dubcc :D

Prof@ssor

« Reply #609 on: November 21, 2010, 05:41:11 AM »
btw, i wonder if Roscoe will actually be featured on Detox  ???

who the fuck cares ? fuck a roscoe

dnjp4life

« Reply #610 on: November 21, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
Becuz it's a good song that Dr. Dre made in 2010 that's why (if ur going to be technical).  It's not even really all of that serious on tha critiquing, the song iz whut it iz, something to crank up.  

Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.  It is so obvious too, I mean the song is called Kush!

The point of the song -imo- is to just make you feel good and wanna blast it and enjoy the sound.  Nothing to reflect on or over-analyze.  Same with Next Episode.  I definitely see this as a fitting sequel to that song minus all the hating on Akon.  I actually like Akon's sound, and have been listening to him since Lock'd up with Styles P.

Exactly!  I think people are now reading too far into Kush as to how the album will sound - this is unrealistic and pointless because no one but Dre and a select few others know how the final product is going to turn out.

People should focus on the positive aspects of a new song such as Kush instead of always trying to find things to knock it and bring it down.  Even if it isn't what you expected and/or want, there's still much to enjoy about it.  Once you're more positive about it you will enjoy the song a whole lot more.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #611 on: November 21, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »
I'm NOT putting down anybody's opinion.  Again, as I wrote in my first post in this thread, if you like this song, then that's great.  I'm happy for you.  However, there are now people saying that other people like me are overanalyzing the song because it's just a head-nodder for the clubs, etc.  And in response to that, I'm just explaining why that's a cop out.  Everything is open to analysis, and if you're telling me not to analyze something, that tells me something right there.

And lol at Dre never making music that holds up to analysis.  LMAO, in fact.  The Roach on The Chronic was a perfect unison of form and content for a smoking weed song.  The music was tailor made for a song about smoking a fat one.  8)  And, lo and behold, that's what the lyrics were about, too.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #612 on: November 21, 2010, 06:25:47 AM »
25 pages already, lol - only on Dubcc :D

Lol, I know what you mean, but at the same time, had Detox dropped back in 2003 or something, the "first single off Detox" thread on Dubcc would have been 50 pages by now.  A lot of the old timers who used to check for this kind of music on Dubcc have moved on.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #613 on: November 21, 2010, 06:29:11 AM »
Look at your name, it's completely disproved.   

I told everyone I would keep this screen name if Detox finally comes out.  I'm not scared  :laugh:  The fact is they used the specter of Detox to help promo The Documentary and Encore and the headphones and so forth.  They new Detox was not coming out back then, but they kept pumping it up, regardless.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #614 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
Look at your name, it's completely disproved.   

I told everyone I would keep this screen name if Detox finally comes out.  I'm not scared  :laugh:  The fact is they used the specter of Detox to help promo The Documentary and Encore and the headphones and so forth.  They new Detox was not coming out back then, but they kept pumping it up, regardless.
I highly doubt that "Detox" was the thing that promoted The Documentary or Encore. "Detox" was only mentioned once in single songs on them, people had no idea bout it untill they bought the album, so i dont think "Detox" had anything to do with the promotion then, unless i dont know somethin.