Author Topic: 2010 has been the best year in movies in a while  (Read 757 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
2010 has been the best year in movies in a while
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
from all the major movies that are getting "oscar buzz", I've seen most of them except for Blue Valentine and The King's Speech.  This is going to be year where I'm not going to be annoyed at who wins Best Picture most likely. 

I guess I would grade them this way

A to A-
-The Social Network
-Black Swan
-Inception
-Exit Through the Gift Shop
-127 Hours
-Toy Story 3
-Kick-Ass
-Animal Kingdom

B+ to B-
-True Grit
-The Fighter
-Enter the Void
-Winter's Bone
-Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
-Somewhere
-Shutter Island
-Greenberg
-Four Lions

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: 2010 has been the best year in movies in a while
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
still need to see a couple of those, but i agree, compared with last yeer, jeez, i cant think of one movie from ;ast year that comes close (other than inglorious basterds) anywho, i was w/e about 127 hours, i (suprisingly) did not like the directing at all, and i love dude's work, franco did kill it tho, winter's bone was nice too, very different type of movie, gonna watch king's speech tonight and blue valentine is on the horizon.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
Other then a handful last year was terrible. Seems like every year gets worse, I struggle to find ten movies a year to want to see in theaters

krzieg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Live 4 Everything Die 4 Nothing
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »
movies are a bore nowadays. I started watching tv series. Finished Rome, Mad men, Breaking bad, Spartacus & i'm currently watching The tudors.
IT'S STILL..........

H.E.A.T
n'
H.E.A.D

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:45 AM »
Nominations For The 83rd Academy Awards!

Best Picture:
    127 Hours
    Black Swan
    The Fighter
    Inception
    The Kids Are All Right
    The King’s Speech
    The Social Network
    Toy Story 3
    True Grit
    Winter’s Bone

Best Director:
    Darren Aronofsky – Black Swan
    David Fincher – The Social Network
    Tom Hooper – The King’s Speech
    David O. Russell – The Fighter
    The Coen Bros. – True Grit

Best Actor:
    Javier Bardem – Biutiful
    Jeff Bridges – True Grit
    Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network
    Colin Firth – The King’s Speech
    James Franco – 127 Hours

Best Actress:
    Annette Bening – The Kids Are All Right
    Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole
    Jennifer Lawrence – Winter’s Bone
    Natalie Portman – Black Swan
    Michelle Williams –  Blue Valentine

Best Supporting Actor:
    Christian Bale – The Fighter
    John Hawkes – Winter’s Bone
    Jeremy Renner – The Town
    Mark Ruffalo – The Kids Are All Right

Geoffrey Rush - The King’s Speech

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams – The Fighter
    Helena Bonham Carter – The King’s Speech
    Melissa Leo – The Fighter
    Hailee Stienfeld – True Grit
    Jacki Weaver – Animal Kingdom

Best Animated Feature
    How To Train Your Dragon
    The Illusionist
    Toy Story 3

Best Adapted Screenplay:
    127 Hours
    The Social Network
    Toy Story 3
    True Grit
    Winter’s Bone

Best Original Screenplay:
    Another Year
    The Fighter
    Inception
    The Kids Are All Right
    The King’s Speech

Best Foreign Film
    Biutiful (Mexico)
    Dogtooth (Greece)
    Hors la Loi (Outside the Law) (Algeria)
    Incendies (Canada)
    In a Better World (Denmark)

Best Cinematography
    Black Swan
    Inception
    The King’s Speech
    The Social Network
    True Grit

Best Editing
    127 Hours
    Black Swan
    The Fighter
    The King’s Speech
    The Social Network

Best Art Direction
    Alice in Wonderland
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    Inception
    The King’s Speech
    True Grit

Best Costume Design
    Alice in Wonderland
    I Am Love
    The King’s Speech
    The Tempest
    True Grit

Best Makeup
    Barney’s Version
    The Way Back
    The Wolfman

Best Original Score
    127 Hours – A.R. Rahman
    How to Train Your Dragon – John Powell
    Inception – Hans Zimmer
    The King’s Speech – Alexandre Desplat
    The Social Network – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

Best Original Song
    127 Hour- A.R. Rahman, Rollo Armstrong, Dido(“If I Rise”)
    Country Strong – Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey, Troy Verges(“Coming Home”)
    Tangled – Alan Menken, Glenn Slater(“I See the Light”)
    Toy Story 3 – Randy Newman(“We Belong Together”)

Best Sound
    Inception
    The King’s Speech
    Salt
    The Social Network
    True Grit

Best Sound Editing
    Inception
    Toy Story 3
    TRON: Legacy
    True Grit
    Unstoppable

Best Visual Effects
    Alice in Wonderland
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    Hereafter
    Inception
    Iron Man 2

Best Documentary
    Exit Through the Gift Shop
    GasLand
    Inside Job
    Restrepo
    Waste Land

Best Documentary, Short Subject
    Killing in the Name
    Poster Girl
    Strangers No More
    Sun Come Up
    The Warriors of Qiugang

Best Short Film, Animated
    Day & Night
    The Gruffalo
    Let’s Pollute
    The Lost Thing
    Madagascar, a Journey Diary

Best Short Film, Live Action
    The Confession
    The Crush
    God of Love
    Na Wewe
    Wish 143

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:11 AM »
obv nolan gets a snub for best director, and i dont like tom hooper's nomination, even though i just watched the king's speech and rather enjoyed it, the directing was nothing special, same with the cohen brothers w/ true grit.  black swan, the fighter and social network were all wonderfully directed

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:58 AM »
Why would they snub Nolan?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
I hate awards so much. They infuriate me. Just because a bunch of 60 year olds, who couldn't even keep up with Inception don't understand, it'll likely walk away with nothing.

It's also stupid because I feel like they don't even award people for the movie, but more what the movie is about. I was watching the Golden Globes & "The Kids Are Alright" won quite a bit. Average ass movie. But the plot is two lesbians are raising kids & they meet the father. Some fucking unusual, dramatic bullshit & they get recognition for being different, not being good.

The only movies I haven't seen out of "Best Picture" are The King's Speech & Winter's Bone & I'm convinced Inception was EASILY the best movie. I don't hate the fact that the The Social Network likely will win, that was a great movie. But then to not even have Nolan up for best director, is madness.

It's gay too because if you had the general public vote for it, Inception would win by 100,000 votes.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
I hate awards so much. They infuriate me. Just because a bunch of 60 year olds, who couldn't even keep up with Inception don't understand, it'll likely walk away with nothing.

Actually I read a couple years ago that a lot of these really old timers an big wigs don't really watch or vote on anything and have their personal assistants do it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
I like the Academy Awards because there are those rare times that it gives some recognition to lesser known films and it might get more people to see it.  Winter's Bone, Dogtooth, Exit Through the Gift Shop are all some really great movies that needs more exposure.  I've actually heard about The Illusionist before, but now I'm pretty eager to see it. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »

It's also stupid because I feel like they don't even award people for the movie, but more what the movie is about. I was watching the Golden Globes & "The Kids Are Alright" won quite a bit. Average ass movie. But the plot is two lesbians are raising kids & they meet the father. Some fucking unusual, dramatic bullshit & they get recognition for being different, not being good.

The only movies I haven't seen out of "Best Picture" are The King's Speech & Winter's Bone & I'm convinced Inception was EASILY the best movie. I don't hate the fact that the The Social Network likely will win, that was a great movie. But then to not even have Nolan up for best director, is madness.

It's gay too because if you had the general public vote for it, Inception would win by 100,000 votes.

At least with the Academy Awards you are most likely assured that the nominees are at least good movies. Why would you want public opinion to be the deciding factor? Grammies anyone?

Majority doesn't always rule. Chances are public opinion will factor on what gets the most hype and completely overlook the smaller films, regardless of quality. That's why the Oscars are considered a big deal and the Grammies are a joke.

Inception might win public consensus, but that's because it's the movie everyone has seen.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 06:15:32 AM »
winter's bone & the kings speech were both great you should check them out, inception has no chance of winning best movie, i dont mind if social network wins,  but i like all the movies this year, EXCEPT the kids are all right was the most overated movie.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

At least with the Academy Awards you are most likely assured that the nominees are at least good movies. Why would you want public opinion to be the deciding factor? Grammies anyone?

Majority doesn't always rule. Chances are public opinion will factor on what gets the most hype and completely overlook the smaller films, regardless of quality. That's why the Oscars are considered a big deal and the Grammies are a joke.

Inception might win public consensus, but that's because it's the movie everyone has seen.

I understand what you're saying. But music is different, in my opinion. A couple of years ago, I was interested in who won; but only the Hip Hop awards. I could care less about every other genre. & I'm sure someone who loves Rock or Pop could care less about who wins the Hip Hop awards. Movies aren't really broken down intro genres as much as music. People have a wider taste & don't stick to one type of film.

"The Hurt Locker" won like six awards last year & that's an independent film & it was well deserved. That's like the Grammy's giving Album of the Year to Joe Budden or Hopsin; that will never come close to happening.

I guess what I was complaining about is that if the academy didn't pick one winner & had to rank them one to ten, they would have Inception at like five or six. When it's clearly a top movie. But it's cool, if The Social Network wins, that works for me.

It's hard to make a movie that's a sellout to public like Hip Hop does to win Grammies. & even if you could make a "sellout" movie, Inception was far from that. Most of the public couldn't even keep up with it lol.

To be honest, Shutter Island was better then True Grit, The Fighter & 127 Hours; these movies were good though.

winter's bone & the kings speech were both great you should check them out, inception has no chance of winning best movie, i dont mind if social network wins,  but i like all the movies this year, EXCEPT the kids are all right was the most overated movie.

I'll have to check them out. 8)

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
ah, i wasnt really feeling shutter island after the half, but the fighter killed it for me, besides marky mark it was an amazing movie amazingly directed and sick bale performance.