Author Topic: Back Pack Rap - what is it to you, and can it really be defined?  (Read 322 times)

Will_B

I keep reading this term and to me it seems like 'real hip-hip' - like everyones got their own idea about what it is, and it's usually what they bump and not what the 'other guy' does.

So what is it, and who do you consider a 'back packer' from the west and why? :eh:

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Back Pack Rap - what is it to you, and can it really be defined?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »

MistaNova

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:46:37 AM »
I don't consider it "real hip hop" exactly, but a sub-genre where the rappers use big words. Or hip hop made by nerds whom come from middle class families and have nothing to rap about except racism and love (mostly failed relationships). People like Drake, Wale, Kid CuDi, XV, Charles Hamilton (him especially) and 7-outta-10 of the XXl 2011 freshmen.

It's hard to say exactly who from the west is a back packer since all West Coast rappers rap about is mindless gang-banging. But I'd say these guys.
*Murs (from the sterotypical thought that back packers have a big vocabulary)
*Nick Cannon (spoon-fed)
*Kendrick Lamar
*New Boyz (they're nerds aren't they?)
*Doughboy (spoon-fed)
*OMG (spoon-fed)
*Xzibit :P

Schüler Music

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.soundcloud.com/ludwigschuler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:58:12 AM »
Hahaha Kanye what a fucking clown.

I consider backpack hiphop as cocksuckers like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock and Atmosphere.

MistaNova

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:06 AM »
I consider backpack hiphop as cocksuckers like Sage Francis, Aesop Rock and Atmosphere.

In other words you're angry at them for using big vocabulary words that your Swedish ass could only dream of understanding. Or you're an idiot who thinks hip hop should be mindless gang-banging and downright empty yet catchy.

Will_B

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:46 AM »
I don't consider it "real hip hop" exactly, but a sub-genre where the rappers use big words. Or hip hop made by nerds whom come from middle class families and have nothing to rap about except racism and love (mostly failed relationships). People like Drake, Wale, Kid CuDi, XV, Charles Hamilton (him especially) and 7-outta-10 of the XXl 2011 freshmen.

It's hard to say exactly who from the west is a back packer since all West Coast rappers rap about is mindless gang-banging. But I'd say these guys.
*Nick Cannon (spoon-fed)
*Kendrick Lamar
*Doughboy (spoon-fed)
*OMG (spoon-fed)

Is still don't get it though - I thought it was also used to describe more grimy raps. It seems like nothing to be proud of :laugh:

B.t.w. I only started to to appreciate Xzibit fairly recently. He's an unrecognized tallent as a better rapper IMO.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:13 AM »

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:35:33 AM »
Is still don't get it though - I thought it was also used to describe more grimy raps. It seems like nothing to be proud of :laugh:
B.t.w. I only started to to appreciate Xzibit fairly recently. He's an unrecognized tallent as a better rapper IMO.

I don't think Back Pack Rap has a proper definition now that I think about it. A lot of people consider it intellectual rap or mature rap but I think it's just rap that focuses more on emotions and feelings that the artists try to express.

NoobCake

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:16:54 AM »

*Nick Cannon (spoon-fed)
*Kendrick Lamar
*Doughboy (spoon-fed)
*OMG (spoon-fed)

I think there is a distinction that has to be made.  Yes, the rappers from the 90's still rap about the crip/blood shit, but most of the new dudes from the west are not on that kick no more.  Kenrick, Tyga, Pac Div, Odd Future etc, none of them do that 90's recycled gang bang shit. Nippsey Hussle is the only one who still does.  Prolly why he's liked here so much.

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:31:47 AM »
I think there is a distinction that has to be made.  Yes, the rappers from the 90's still rap about the crip/blood shit, but most of the new dudes from the west are not on that kick no more.  Kenrick, Tyga, Pac Div, Odd Future etc, none of them do that 90's recycled gang bang shit. Nippsey Hussle is the only one who still does.  Prolly why he's liked here so much.

Jay Rock, G. Malone, Cashis and 90% of the Bay Area still does 90's gangsta rap do you see them getting any love here?
Also when the new guys you mentioned first came onto the scene they probably did do some tracks involving gang-banging. I don't know about Odd Future, but I've heard a couple of K. Dot & Tyga joints of that nature.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:33:40 AM by Iveus »

NoobCake

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 05:53:45 AM »
Jay Rock and G Malone used to.  Cashis i don't know anything about.  Anyway, i should've said that anybody from the west who actually has some national buzz and has the ability to sell some records is not rapping about that anymore.

MistaNova

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
Jay Rock and G Malone used to.  Cashis i don't know anything about.  Anyway, i should've said that anybody from the west who actually has some national buzz and has the ability to sell some records is not rapping about that anymore.

The only new guy that fits into that category is Game and he's only a modernised version of what the west has been doing since 1990. You could also add Lil B, Far East Movement, New Boyz and Black Eyed Peas but they're either not considered hip hop or they're likely to fade away as one-hit-wonders.

NoobCake

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
Really?  You think Game fits that description the most?  I think the buying public has moved on from him to the next hot thing.  And when they do they don't usually come back.  I reallly think all those dudes with the right labels behind them can do something.

MistaNova

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
You said that anyone from the west who has national buzz and ability to sell records doesn't rap about gangsta shit, but Game's the only one on the west (other than Snoop) to have that nationwide buzz (though the ability to sell records is debatable) and almost all of his discography is gangsta rap.
Although the way he brags about being shot and being a blood with those who aren't makes him suspicious, I wouldn't say he's a back packer but he's more like a studio gangster.
Also he has Aftermath and Interscope behind his back again, you think he can do something?
Same goes for Ya Boy who's signed to Konvict (the same label that brought you Akon, T-Pain & Lady Gaga), Malone on Cash Money, Ca$his on Shady and Mistah F.A.B. on Atlantic, you think they can do shit?