Author Topic: How factual is this statement "Kanye is a producer. Jay Z is a rapper."  (Read 710 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: How factual is this statement "Kanye is a producer. Jay Z is a rapper."
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
Jay Z is a producer and Kanye is a rapper.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »
Jazzy Jeff is the DJ and Fresh Prince is the rapper.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »
Kanye West is way better than DJ Quik as a rapper

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
I think he's a rapper like Dr.Dre, Warren G and other cats are. Someone else said it earlier, he knows how to make dope songs of both....

I guess to me it was factual to say that when you strip it all away, dude is a producer and other dude is a rapper.

Like I used to hate when people would compare Dre to other rappers because to me that missed the point of the rubric you would accurately judge that artist on.

I am not denying his success, nor am I hating, I agree that he is among the most listenable mainstream hip hop acts out.

That said, was Miles Davis that good at guitar? I don't know, I like to hear him play trumpet.

That was where I was coming from but my buddy was saying what a lot of cats here are, that he has put in the work to be a rapper so I guess I can't deny that.

I do wonder through...is there a line? Like some musical artists do their own album artwork...do we gotta call them painters now and incorporate that into how we define them when we assess them? Would it be inaccurate to call such artists 'musicians' and leaving out the other stuff they do?

I mean, does there not come a point where we can't keep track of all the shit an artist does and just remember them for what they're really good at?

To be more specific, maybe there's a substantial difference between Kanye making 6 rap albums and Snoop making a handful of Niggarachi beats? I haven't been following dude really, how much stuff about has Snoop produced as niggarachi?

That said, I agree with most points said in response to what I put forth, I just like to really keep breaking shit down so I continue to play devil's advocate. Thanks for the input guys

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 01:05:53 AM »
but kanye is successfull as both producer and rapper. its nothing like snoop making some tracks, it nothing like dre doing the odd verse, nothing like miles playing guitar, nothing like musicians doing the odd painting, nothing like anything youve mentioned.

dude is accomplished in both fields. why do you have to pick one label and put him in the box?

forget about his albums, people pay for a kanye guest feature! i think that says enough

bouli77

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:51 AM »
but kanye is successfull as both producer and rapper. its nothing like snoop making some tracks, it nothing like dre doing the odd verse, nothing like miles playing guitar, nothing like musicians doing the odd painting, nothing like anything youve mentioned.

dude is accomplished in both fields. why do you have to pick one label and put him in the box?

forget about his albums, people pay for a kanye guest feature! i think that says enough

thank you, that was exactly my point. at this point i'm sure if you ask random people, more would know about kanye's accomplishments as a rapper than as a producer.

That said, was Miles Davis that good at guitar? I don't know, I like to hear him play trumpet.

liking is subjective, facts are facts. Kanye has been a professional rapper for a while and has been successful at it, it's his main activity with being a producer, he is a full-fledged rapper (and a successful one), that's a fact.

I do wonder through...is there a line? Like some musical artists do their own album artwork...do we gotta call them painters now and incorporate that into how we define them when we assess them? Would it be inaccurate to call such artists 'musicians' and leaving out the other stuff they do?

well if they do their own album artwork and only that we can't really call them painters cause it's not their professional activity. on the other hand, if people pay them to do other people's album artwork or if they have set up their own company and provide such services or if they expose their creations in galleries and shit and get acknowleged for it then we can say that they're also painters.

to me it's all about whether you dedicate yourself to it and do it for a living or for fun... Snoop Dogg has starred in movies, I wouldn't call him an actor though, because he did it cause he had the opportunity to do it but didn't dedicate himself to the craft of acting and chose to pursue an active career as an actor, which Kanye did as a rapper. Will Smith was a successful rapper and then chose to do movies in which he was even more successful...

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 03:36:34 AM »
hes a producer that raps.. hows that?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »
I think he's a rapper like Dr.Dre, Warren G and other cats are. Someone else said it earlier, he knows how to make dope songs of both....

I guess to me it was factual to say that when you strip it all away, dude is a producer and other dude is a rapper.

Like I used to hate when people would compare Dre to other rappers because to me that missed the point of the rubric you would accurately judge that artist on.

I am not denying his success, nor am I hating, I agree that he is among the most listenable mainstream hip hop acts out.

That was where I was coming from but my buddy was saying what a lot of cats here are, that he has put in the work to be a rapper so I guess I can't deny that.

I mean, does there not come a point where we can't keep track of all the shit an artist does and just remember them for what they're really good at?

To be more specific, maybe there's a substantial difference between Kanye making 6 rap albums and Snoop making a handful of Niggarachi beats? I haven't been following dude really, how much stuff about has Snoop produced as niggarachi?

That said, I agree with most points said in response to what I put forth, I just like to really keep breaking shit down so I continue to play devil's advocate. Thanks for the input guys

-T

well what would you call mf doom?

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »

-T

a lazy motherfucker that hasnt made a beat in a decade? lol

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Kanye already has the legacy of being an artist.  That's not going to change. 

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »
wait, kanye is a producer? i thought jay z sang  ???

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »

-T

he makes his own beats

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:49 AM »

-T

he makes his own beats

oh word. but im having a joke about the fact that he is still using the same beats he made 10 years ago. whens the last time doom made a new beat

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »
I see the points you guys are making, but just to continue the discussion... i don't think the fact that you get paid to do a certain kind of service even makes you 'that' for real.

Like someone just said, people have paid Snoop to act in their films. Because he's an actor? No, but he's a big name and they can.

I know cats have had Kanye do features but I call that a rapper slumber party between a bunch of artists that know each other and hang out, or some less prominent artist that wants the clout of a Kanye verse on his shit and not say, "Kind of Blue" in which Miles Davis and Coltrane put together a virtuoso piece of art together.

someone said earlier, people know him for his raps...well people "know" Dre for his raps too and the average person doesn't know Dre makes beats so that perspective doesn't really mean anything to me. S'why I talk to knowledgeable heads such as y'all. Good discussion, good points all.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

Like someone just said, people have paid Snoop to act in their films. Because he's an actor? No, but he's a big name and they can.
sometimes yeah like in old school, but in shit like starsky and hutch he was really the best fit for the role. not a very wide range for an actor but hes still an actor.
I know cats have had Kanye do features but I call that a rapper slumber party between a bunch of artists that know each other and hang out
  :camp: :camp: :camp:
.well people "know" Dre for his raps too and the average person doesn't know Dre makes beats so that perspective doesn't really mean anything to me.

the average person who knows who dre is in the first place knows that he makes beats. youre tripping

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.