Author Topic: The DOC Death Row Days.  (Read 1149 times)

KC-HOODSTA

The DOC Death Row Days.
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
What's the history there? did he actually record any music? yeah i know the situation with his voice.

I was just wondering was he actually a big deal there. because it looks like he didnt do much. and wha is up with the helter skelter album what label was it on? 96'?

is there any history with DOC and 2pac?

just curious thoughts?

MarshColin

Re: The DOC Death Row Days.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
What's the history there? did he actually record any music? yeah i know the situation with his voice.

I was just wondering was he actually a big deal there. because it looks like he didnt do much. and wha is up with the helter skelter album what label was it on? 96'?

just curious thoughts?

He played a huge role in developing and writing for Snoop Dogg. Snoop himself gives him credit for that and I think that was a pretty major role.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »

just curious thoughts?

I'm kind of curious about this as well.  We know he was there during the early days laying the foundation with the Chronic album.  I assume he was a big part of the Doggystyle album as well but I'd like someone to confirm that.  Seems after those two albums though he got arrogant and wanted to get paid and Dre didn't want to pay him and he blamed it on Dre or something.  Dre alluded to something of that nature in his 96' source article when he was asked about D.O.C.   He said him and DOC were brothers, but that DOC had too big of a fuckin ego and that he'd never do business with him again.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Raiders4Life

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a RAIDER!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »
Snoop fell off once The D.O.C. left.

BIGWORM

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

I disagree...

I would say he fell off when Dre left.  Cause Snoop was still great on the albums Above The Rim, Murder Was The Case, Dogg Food, All Eyez On Me.. his appearances on all the records that came out while Dre was on the label showed no signs of him falling off.

...I also think his trial and the death of his homeboy 2pac shook him up, and he kind of lost the heart to do the real gangsta shit he was doin before that.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Raiders4Life

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I'm a RAIDER!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »

I disagree...

I would say he fell off when Dre left.  Cause Snoop was still great on the albums Above The Rim, Murder Was The Case, Dogg Food, All Eyez On Me.. his appearances on all the records that came out while Dre was on the label showed no signs of him falling off.

...I also think his trial and the death of his homeboy 2pac shook him up, and he kind of lost the heart to do the real gangsta shit he was doin before that.

Maybe "falling off" is overreacting. I'd go with "wasn't the same". He was a beast on those first two albums.

I can understand him toning down his material because of what he was dealing with at the time and that he still released great music, but I believe had The D.O.C. had been there his flow would had been way better. He was laid back way too much on Tha Doggfather, and that was recorded while 2pac was still alive. Listening to Doc's "No One Can Do It Better" and one can hear that influence he had on Snoop early on.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
The D.O.C. became associated with Suge Knight after his car accident for create a new label, FutureShock Records. During a few years, Suge, Mario 'Smooth' Johnson (aka Chocolate), The D.O.C., Erotic D, Dr Dre, The Unknown DJ began a new family, ready for a new label, later titled Death Row Records. Suge & The D.O.C. were the first and really wanted Dr Dre off Ruthless for work together, on a brand new label.

After Death Row Records was born, The D.O.C. help Dr Dre and then Snoop Doggy Dogg for their albums. During this years, The D.O.C. got an idea, more, a concept, for a new album : "Helter Skelter". Dr Dre though that The D.O.C. couldn't record songs any more and wanted this concept for a new album, with Ice Cube as performer (not Snoop Doggy Dogg). Once again, The D.O.C. wrote lyrics for Dr Dre when Dr Dre worked on the sound of "Helter Skelter". When "Murder Was The Case" was released, The D.O.C. wanted to leave Death Row. Not paid, frustration, not loved by everyone who were around the label, The D.O.C. used to wrote for other guyz like MC Breeda and DFC. Off Death Row, The D.O.C. wanted to create a new album with Erotic D. as producer. They didn't want to use the beats created by Dr Dre for Helter Skelter, but some songs contained original ideas comin from the Death Row era, as "Da Hereafter" ("The Year After").
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

sofdark

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:13 AM »
So is he getting that surgery or what?

green-eyed bandit

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »
I've read that he took some DRE beats out of the studio as well & used them for this album...

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • way more karma than posts
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:07:08 AM »
I've read that he took some DRE beats out of the studio as well & used them for this album...

maybe that was D.O.C.'s plan for a while, but Erotic D changed that and made his own beats
I'm pretty sure the released version doesn't contain any dre (or dre remake) beats

green-eyed bandit

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

maybe that was D.O.C.'s plan for a while, but Erotic D changed that and made his own beats
I'm pretty sure the released version doesn't contain any dre (or dre remake) beats

I know, I just checked the credits again of that album. Anyway, I got that information from a Dr. Dre biography book.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:25 AM »

I disagree...

I would say he fell off when he left death row.  Cause Snoop was still great on the albums Above The Rim, Murder Was The Case, Dogg Food, All Eyez On Me.. his appearances on all the records that came out while Dre was on the label showed no signs of him falling off.

"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • way more karma than posts
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »

I know, I just checked the credits again of that album. Anyway, I got that information from a Dr. Dre biography book.

I got mine from an Erotic D interview, read it and you know what I mean
check it out, it's got a shitload of info about early DR days and the Helter Skelter album
http://www.bomb1st.com/s/showthread.php?4496-Erotic-D-about-the-early-days-of-Death-Row-The-DOC-amp-Helter-Skelter
you need to register to view it but it's worth it, there are also some other interesting interviews in that section of the forum
I could copy paste it but it's kinda long and I'm kinda lazy right now

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
"The Hearafter" song that recently leaked sounds like a Dre/Sneed track.