Author Topic: Good Kid m.a.a.d City production credits  (Read 1534 times)

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
Re: Good Kid m.a.a.d City production credits
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 04:20:34 AM »
^^^^ yeah 4 beats on official releases during these latest 3 years  :laugh:..

Dre is pretty much retired for some time now ... not sure why some people are surprised with his lack of involvement in this album

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 04:27:35 AM »
If you ask me, it's all about information given. Let's ask ourselves one thing. From 2000-2005, do you guys really think The Recipe would be credited to Scoop Deville? Hell no.

Seems to me like Dre is doing what he could've done years ago and what people also demanded in a way. Give credit where credit is due. IMO 10 years ago the production credits would look like this:

- The Recipe (produced by Dr. Dre)
- Compton (produced by Just Blaze, co-produced by Dr. Dre)
- the 2 solo mixed Dre tracks would translate into "produced by Dr. Dre"
- the 7 mixed by Dre & Ali tracks would/could translate into "additional production by Dr. Dre"

Matty

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »

Dre is pretty much retired for some time now ... not sure why some people are surprised with his lack of involvement in this album

well the recipe sounds great sonically...i'd kinda count any track that's engineered by veto as in the 'dre beats' category, especially when coupled with dre's 'mixing'. that expands the pool out much more than a handful of tracks. doesn't seem like this album has been through that process though...more of an external production.

Matty

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »
If you ask me, it's all about information given. Let's ask ourselves one thing. From 2000-2005, do you guys really think The Recipe would be credited to Scoop Deville? Hell no.

Seems to me like Dre is doing what he could've done years ago and what people also demanded in a way. Give credit where credit is due. IMO 10 years ago the production credits would look like this:

- the 7 mixed by Dre & Ali tracks would/could translate into "additional production by Dr. Dre"

the thing is almost none of the tracks are down as having been engineered in-house at aftermath. those are always the tracks which shine the most and sound like a 'dre beat' sonically. we'll have to listen to the album, but i think the recipe is perhaps the most dre produced (in terms of what we can hear on the record) on here. compton too, but it's probably more similar to its origins being a just blaze beat.

i would like to have heard more dawaun parker involvement, if dre is keeping material for himself etc. his beats are incredible. but again, seems like the album isn't so much of an aftermath project.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:46:55 AM by Matty »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 05:14:43 AM »
im not gonna sit up here and act like i've been in the studio with Dr. Dre for the past 25 years but his "crispness" can be disputed and so can his interpretation of what he does musically on a record.  

when i made tracks in Reason 3 ppl used to always think i took that shit to a real studio becuz they sounded so clear and they werent so muddy.  It happens alot more times than not nowadays.  Technogy has advanced in so many ways that u dont really need Dr. Dre in the studio with you to get a certain clarity or a certain sound.  if u want a good comparison of a recent song that a Beat Maker did and a Producer touched then listen to Chief Keef's "I Dont Like".  

you're basically saying that nobody can make something sound as big or as clear as Dre and thats false as hell.  Lex Luger and Kanye West do it among others.  

youre not gonna tell me that this MIXTAPE QUALITY song doesnt have the same level of clarity as a Dre Production.  if u do youre lying or youre talking outta your ass
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEiOkAXYCDw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mEiOkAXYCDw</a>
*if u need further examination then stream the mixtape or download it and play it on your stereo or ride*

we gotta stop making excuses for Dr. Dre and trying to speculate exactly what he does and doesnt do on each and every song that doesnt or does have his name attached to it.  thats living a fantasy.  
http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/480915/dat-nigga-daz-appreciation-thread/p1

look, im sure he does do things behind the boards and we can all pretty much assume he's dabbled in things here and there for the past 27-28 years (undisputedly).  but at the same time we have to account for the Elephants in the room.  

and far as far him releasing good beats i think its safe to say that yall r the minority on that.  it hasnt all been bullshit and some of it has been nice but alot of it has been weak.  it aint exactly hard to tell or something thats super subjective
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:16:43 AM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 05:28:46 AM »

the thing is almost none of the tracks are down as having been engineered in-house at aftermath. those are always the tracks which shine the most and sound like a 'dre beat' sonically. we'll have to listen to the album, but i think the recipe is perhaps the most dre produced (in terms of what we can hear on the record) on here. compton too, but it's probably more similar to its origins being a just blaze beat.

i would like to have heard more dawaun parker involvement, if dre is keeping material for himself etc. his beats are incredible. but again, seems like the album isn't so much of an aftermath project.

Yeah it definitely looks like this is more of a GRODT type situation, where 50 also had the bulk of the album done prior to meeting Dre. Kendrick said he wanted to stand on his own on the first album, maybe we'll get a more Documentary type of project on his 2nd album.

Will_B

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 06:07:11 AM »
Also ppl be romanticising bout Dre's old stuff (most of it sounds lovely) but tracks like Zoom and Heads Ringin are hella overproduced.

What I'm saying is Dre got top level tracks of all eras.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
I always look at the writing credits to see who was involved in putting the track together.  I think they are more revealing than who is nominally credited as "producing" the track.  I see from the JPEGs images that "A. Young" is listed in only "The Recipe."  That makes sense to me, because from what I've heard so far, it's the only Dre sounding track on the album.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say Dre co-produced The Recipe, but relinquished credit.  A track like "Compton" doesn't sound at all like a Dre-produced track.  Sounds like Just Blaze to me -- no surprise he's the credited producer.  :D

As for the Dre mixed tracks -- I don't really think it matters that much.  I honestly don't think those would have been considered Dre produced tracks back in the day; it's simply just that Dre did not musically have much involvement with this project.

In my mind, judging from the writing credits, this album has one Dre co-production, whereas back in the day, he was far more intimately musically-involved with the albums he Executive- or Directly-Produced.  I think that explains why Dre's name is not all over this album.  Therefore, I think some of you guys have it backwards.  Dre is less and less musically involved these days with projects that ostensibly have his name on them, and in fact he's becoming more and more a business overseer of his projects more than anything else.  Check my post in the "so Dr.Dre didn't produce any tracks for Kendrick" shock thread for more of my thoughts on this topic.

Just my 2 cents.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Qup4v2uNfc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Qup4v2uNfc</a>

damn i wanna hear that beat

Lucifuge

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »

check the sound and the mix. we all know how neptunes beats sounds. 8) 8)
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
im sure he will Will (and im actually banking on it).  it still doesnt mean what he's been doing for the past 12 years doesnt count.  at some point the Talent has to meet the concrete. 

sure, dre does toss around simple beats with not as many build-ups, bridges, etc (ie, "King Louis XIII").....but listen to a beat like "Kush". if u think thats just a
"simple loop" then u need more medicine than i initially thought.

Sccit

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »

he's still producing, though...even the new Xzibit album has a new Dre beat. you'd expect an album dropping on Aftermath to have AT LEAST 1 Dre beat. and not that it doesn't, cuz it does....but like i said, the word producer is not defined like it once was.

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »

exactly....only, even to a greater extent. the "Compton" track woulda said "Produced by Dr. Dre and Just Blaze"....the tracks mixed by Dre and Ali woulda said "Produced by Dr. Dre and Ali".......Dre ALWAYS had first dibs when it came to production credit, cuz he was always the mastermind behind ANY production he touched. the way they've re-invented the word producer is bullshit and could end up being Dre's downfall, as well as the reason "Detox" doesnt come out.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
im not gonna sit up here and act like i've been in the studio with Dr. Dre for the past 25 years but his "crispness" can be disputed and so can his interpretation of what he does musically on a record.  

when i made tracks in Reason 3 ppl used to always think i took that shit to a real studio becuz they sounded so clear and they werent so muddy.  It happens alot more times than not nowadays.  Technogy has advanced in so many ways that u dont really need Dr. Dre in the studio with you to get a certain clarity or a certain sound.  if u want a good comparison of a recent song that a Beat Maker did and a Producer touched then listen to Chief Keef's "I Dont Like".  

you're basically saying that nobody can make something sound as big or as clear as Dre and thats false as hell.  Lex Luger and Kanye West do it among others.  

youre not gonna tell me that this MIXTAPE QUALITY song doesnt have the same level of clarity as a Dre Production.  if u do youre lying or youre talking outta your ass
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEiOkAXYCDw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mEiOkAXYCDw</a>
*if u need further examination then stream the mixtape or download it and play it on your stereo or ride*

we gotta stop making excuses for Dr. Dre and trying to speculate exactly what he does and doesnt do on each and every song that doesnt or does have his name attached to it.  thats living a fantasy.  
http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/480915/dat-nigga-daz-appreciation-thread/p1

look, im sure he does do things behind the boards and we can all pretty much assume he's dabbled in things here and there for the past 27-28 years (undisputedly).  but at the same time we have to account for the Elephants in the room.  

and far as far him releasing good beats i think its safe to say that yall r the minority on that.  it hasnt all been bullshit and some of it has been nice but alot of it has been weak.  it aint exactly hard to tell or something thats super subjective

go slap them tracks you're talkin about in your whip....then slap "2001" immediately after. now, slap yourself if u dont see the difference.

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I always look at the writing credits to see who was involved in putting the track together.  I think they are more revealing than who is nominally credited as "producing" the track.  I see from the JPEGs images that "A. Young" is listed in only "The Recipe."  That makes sense to me, because from what I've heard so far, it's the only Dre sounding track on the album.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say Dre co-produced The Recipe, but relinquished credit.  A track like "Compton" doesn't sound at all like a Dre-produced track.  Sounds like Just Blaze to me -- no surprise he's the credited producer.  :D

As for the Dre mixed tracks -- I don't really think it matters that much.  I honestly don't think those would have been considered Dre produced tracks back in the day; it's simply just that Dre did not musically have much involvement with this project.

In my mind, judging from the writing credits, this album has one Dre co-production, whereas back in the day, he was far more intimately musically-involved with the albums he Executive- or Directly-Produced.  I think that explains why Dre's name is not all over this album.  Therefore, I think some of you guys have it backwards.  Dre is less and less musically involved these days with projects that ostensibly have his name on them, and in fact he's becoming more and more a business overseer of his projects more than anything else.  Check my post in the "so Dr.Dre didn't produce any tracks for Kendrick" shock thread for more of my thoughts on this topic.

Just my 2 cents.

this could be a possibility, as well.....that Dre is simply "less involved" nowadays. but when beats like "Kush", "Topless", "Recipe" etc. drop and Dre gets no production credit, it makes it hard to gauge what Dre's doing and what he's not.....ultimately, we'll be able to tell when we hear the album in its entirety, but u cant say a lot of recent productions with Dre involvement that have been credited to other producers dont have the signature Dre sound.