Author Topic: Did DOC have any role in NWA's first album St8 out of Compton?  (Read 378 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Did DOC have any role in NWA's first album St8 out of Compton?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »

Plus, most of straight outta Compton was written and recorded probably before dre even met the doc.   Ren joined the group late, so notice how doc only has writing credit on the songs recorded after the  singles came out like boys n the hood, f the police, dope man, etc

Yeah.. that's what I remember reading.  That Dre didn't really know Doc until after Straight Out of Compton.  Now it sounds like he was certainly around, but like you pointed out, it was after the key joints had already been created.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

run-of-the-millian

• 'G'
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
DOC talked about this in his dubcnn interview: http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/thedoc08-part1/

Dubcnn: Listening to those old NWA albums, how come you weren’t more involved in those albums, as far as being on the mic? Especially on Straight Outta Compton.

Well, I’m not from Compton; I’m from Dallas. So me getting on a record called Straight Outta Compton didn’t fit. That record was about them. I wasn’t really in NWA, I was just there to help them do what they were doing. It was just path to get to me doing what I wanted to do. It was a learning thing. It makes me feel good to have helped so many cats over the years find their voices. I can remember coming to the studio and rapping, and Cube would go home and have to re-write his shit. We did that a lot! He’d come and rap his shit, and I say, “I got to do my shit over!” I’d come rap my shit and he’d be like, “I got to go do my shit over!”

Also talks about meeting Dre

Dubcnn: I know you’ve spoke on it many times before, but can you sum up how you and Dre met, and formed that bond that made you all so close.

We had a mutual friend in Dallas, before I knew these guys. Dre came to visit the guy in Texas, and he heard me rapping. He was very impressed with my skills. When I saw his production skills, I was very impressed with that as well. So, I followed him back to the west coast; words and music go together. As a matter of fact, Mel Man, one of Dre’s producers, told me once that he asked Dre who was, out of all the artists he’s ever recorded with who rapped his beats the hardest. And Mel-Man told me that he told him it was me, and I believe that. I tore a beat up, nigga, back in the day!

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
DOC is the shit man. As for NWA and the Posse, that was never suppose to be an album. It was just a collection of tracks from NWA (at the time, Eazy, Cube, Dre and Arabian Prince), Eazy E and Ron-De-Vu (the Mexican dude with the 40 ounce Bud on the cover) and DOC and his Fila Fresh Crew. Hell, I'm surprised they didn't use Ice Cube and CIA, as Dre produced their tracks and all three of them were on the cover of the album as well (the dudes with the clocks). The "album" was thrown together as a bunch of Dr. Dre produced tracks, and re-released as NWA and the Posse in 1987, and re-released in 1989 after NWA became popular. Almost every track was originally on an EP or was a B-Side to a single, except Panic Zone and Boyz in the Hood which were singles. (Eazy E and Ron-De-Vu's tracks were B-Side to Boyz in the Hood, all NWA tracks were B-Side to Panic Zone, all Fila Fresh Crew were an EP) With all that said, I'm still surprised that CIA's stuff wasn't in there, especially when Eazy gave them a shout out in 8-Ball.