Author Topic: Do you guys think Alex Smith is a good quarterback?  (Read 223 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Do you guys think Alex Smith is a good quarterback?
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:07:28 AM »
I don't want another "game manager".   That's all we ever have in Kansas City.  In my lifetime (born in 82') we have only had 2 quarterbacks that could actually go out and win games (and both were in their late 30's by the time they got here).   We had Joe Montana in 1993 and 94, and we had Trent Green from 03-05.   Those are the only years we actually had a quarterback that could throw the ball all over the field and win some games.

The rest of the time we've always had these "game managers".  Dinking and dunking their way down the field.  FUCK THAT.  I don't want another "dinking and dunking" quarterback to throw out patterns and hitches to the backs.

Is Alex Smith a "game manager" or is he the real deal?  Can he actually go out and win a few games with his arm?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:09:30 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

Re: Do you guys think Alex Smith is a good quarterback?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:13:20 AM »
Game manager.  The main time Alex Smith was good was when Norv Turnover was his OC.  And when frisco had a weak schedule in 2011.  But of course, the run game & the defense mostly won their games.  Rich Gannon was also good for KC.  Too bad Rottenheimer & the very overrated GM Carl Peterson didn't see that. 

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
yes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
I
Game manager.  The main time Alex Smith was good was when Norv Turnover was his OC.  And when frisco had a weak schedule in 2011.  But of course, the run game & the defense mostly won their games.  Rich Gannon was also good for KC.  Too bad Rottenheimer & the very overrated GM Carl Peterson didn't see that.  

I LOVE Marty Shottenhiemer.  He's my all time favorite coach after Phil Jackson.  We went 8-0 at home nearly every year when Marty was here, and we never lost to the Raiders whether at home or away.   Every year he'd patch up the team with several veteran guys at the end of their career and make another run at it.  Your right about Gannon though.  That was Shottenhiemers fatal mistake, he believed "you don't lose your job because of injury" and he let Elvis Grbac start in the playoffs after Gannon had won a string of games to earn us homefield throughout the playoffs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:17:49 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
That's tough to say. He really never played a good season until that first with Harbaugh. He was putting up very efficient numbers when Kaep came in and took his job, so it's hard to get a sure-fire read on him, since the 49ers put a pretty stacked team around him. From what I gather he's at least very accurate, and I remember him making some huge plays against the Saints in that NFC playoff game a few seasons ago. I think it's safe to say that he's an upgrade over Cassell because of his accuracy and athleticism but I just don't know how much better.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »
Alex Smith's last 4 seasons:

27-17 record in 48 games

62.1 completion percentage   62 TD and 32 INT    88.2 QB Rating   exactly 200 yards per game passing

dude is good, even before Harbaugh he was above average

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »
Ri

27-17 record in 48 games

62.1 completion percentage   62 TD and 32 INT    88.2 QB Rating   exactly 200 yards per game passing

Hope your right, man.  He's got enough tools around him with andy ried at coach, 3-headed monster at tightend, dwayne bowe signed long term, and the ultimate weapon in Jamal Charles out of the backfield. 

I think the biggest argument against Alex is that they always tried to make him a "game manager" in San Fran.  They didn't ask him to go out and win games.  Here in KC he's gonna be featured and he will be asked to throw the ball all over the field and win games... I still don't know if he's capable of that, but he's going to have to be.

O.G A.Geesta'z

The West is Back

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 04:19:07 AM »
That's tough to say. He really never played a good season until that first with Harbaugh. He was putting up very efficient numbers when Kaep came in and took his job, so it's hard to get a sure-fire read on him, since the 49ers put a pretty stacked team around him. .
What made Smith lose his job was when he went Mark Suckchez against the Giants in the regular season.  Although the play callers help messed up also by passing a bit too much.  Frisco abandoned the run game early. 
Ri

27-17 record in 48 games

Hope your right, man.  He's got enough tools around him with andy ried at coach, 3-headed monster at tightend, dwayne bowe signed long term, and the ultimate weapon in Jamal Charles out of the backfield. 
It won't matter if Fat Andy is stubborn with KC like he was at Philly by refusing to run the ball more.  The media act like pass to the death is all the rage but remember....the teams that was in the SB last season believe in running the ball more & having good defense  ;)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:53:32 AM »
i believe he is good.  i live in raider and 49er territory and the consensous out here from a lot of niner fans is that he sucked, but most of them are bandwagon fans who only started to really root for the team when they became good again.  to me alex smith isnt a flashy qb, but he is good.  like hack said he avged good yards, had a good td to int ratio, and didnt make a lot of mistakes.  hes not a trent dilfer "i can only hand the ball off" dude.  but then again hes not a flashy player so its hard for retards to see the inbetween.  hes actually a good scrambler too.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
oh shit, I forgot he's going to be coached by Andy Reid this year  :-X

RIP Jim Johnson, the man most responsible for those Eagles teams making the NFC title game every year.  Even moreso than Donavon.  Dude was a genius defensive mind and it's sad he died so young.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
oh shit, I forgot he's going to be coached by Andy Reid this year  :-X

RIP Jim Johnson, the man most responsible for those Eagles teams making the NFC title game every year.  Even moreso than Donavon.  Dude was a genius defensive mind and it's sad he died so young.

Yep... rieds there... we did a complete overhaul and ended the Pioli Patriots 2.0 thing the chiefs were doing for 5 years.  We have a gm from the packers, new coordinators 

One thing about ried is it seems he knows how to run an offense

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
I don't think he's much of an improvement over Cassel, but I do see the offense jumping thanks to Reid. At the same time I see the defense slipping with Romeo's departure. None of this would have happened had Weis stayed. The Chiefs would have been at least a 9-7 to 10-6 team the past couple years.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
I don't think he's much of an improvement over Cassel, but I do see the offense jumping thanks to Reid. At the same time I see the defense slipping with Romeo's departure. None of this would have happened had Weis stayed. The Chiefs would have been at least a 9-7 to 10-6 team the past couple years.

hard to argue with that.   The Pioli era in KC was a complete disaster.  He took over a 2-14 team from Herm Edwards, and then 5 years later the team was still 2-14, lol.  All the good players on the team are players Herm Edwards drafted, Jammal Charles, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe, Branden Albert; they are all just 5 years older now.  And on top of that Pioli was a jerk, he supposedly even spying and tapping phones of employees and members of the coaching staff.  The joke around town was... "It's one thing to suck and be a great guy like Herm Edwards... it's another thing to have the team suck and be a complete pompous asshole at the same time!"

The only good year of the Pioli era was when Wiess was coordinator.  Although I still stand by the fact that Haley was a hell of a coach in his own right.

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
i think KC will have a decent year with their additions
Infinite you seem like a dedicated fan win or lose, just like i am about my Cowboys, and thats something i can respect
The West is Back