Author Topic: Snoop Dogg Says He's Never Listened To "Doggystyle" In Its Entirety  (Read 927 times)

aerroc

Saturday (November 23) marked the 20-year anniversary of Snoop Dogg's heralded debut album, Doggystyle.

In an interview with MTV News, Snoop reflected on what the project meant to him. "Back then it meant a lot because it was being able to stand on my own two feet and put out a project for the first time and to actually be heard and seen for who I am individually," said Snoop. "Now what it means, it's an accomplishment. Looking back at it, it was very well put together, it was standards, it showed me the way to do it, the only way to do it, even though I haven't always stuck to that high standard."

Snoop admitted that he has never giving the record a proper listen."I don't believe I've ever listened to the whole album and I'm being honest with you," he said. "I ain't never listen to Doggystyle top to bottom. I may have listened to songs, but I never listen to any of my projects to to bottom."

Snoop discussed his favorite songs from the project. "On that record, my favorite song was probably either 'Murder Was The Case' or 'Gz and Hustlas.' 'Gz and Hustlas' was easy; it was supposed to be a mic check. I was supposed to go in there, and when I mic checked, I freestyled, and whatever came out is the record that you hear."

"'Murder Was the Case,' that was kinda hard because I started writing on another beat and I was writing a different kinda story," said Snoop. "And then once Dre gave me that beat the story came to life and it was like I'm writing a story about me making a deal with the Devil, me going to jail,".

Doggystyle, which was one of the most anticipated debut Rap albums in Hip Hop history, sold over 800,000 copies in its first week, which set the record for a debut artist and fastest-selling album ever until Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP.

GangstaBoogy

Re: Snoop Dogg Says He's Never Listened To "Doggystyle" In Its Entirety
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Really? Well shit maybe he should. Then listen to R&G and take notes of all the shit he's been doing wrong.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

aerroc

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »
Really? Well shit maybe he should. Then listen to R&G and take notes of all the shit he's been doing wrong.

:D+1

yeah he should go back and listen to his old shit and find when he started fucking up the last many years

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
 :D  Yea for real.

This is the difference between making music for fun and because it's a job.  I make music because I both love to do it and listen to it.  If it was a job I might not have that same enthusiasm.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
y'all will eat any story the media gives you or hang onto any word a rapper says… dude is saying this for hype lol of course he's heard the entire album, you don't think Suge and company held listening meetings/parties before it dropped?  :D

Will_B

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
Snoop regularly performs the whole album on stage doesn't he?

How could he never have heard it :D

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

kind of normal for most of the Death Row era artists I think.  We as fans know their songs and albums better than they know their own.  I attribute this to the fact that the music for them was part lifestyle and part music. 

...Probably for artists like Eminem or Nas who are all about their craft, they may be more particular about this verse or that verse, this song or that song, certain albums.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

He probably meant that he didnt play the whole album himself - like from intro to outro, you know

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »

He probably meant that he didnt play the whole album himself - like from intro to outro, you know

Yeah.. it's not like Snoop is gonna go up on stage and perform the "Bathtub Intro" and then have Rage come on stage and start setting shit off.  That would be one hell of a show if he really performed the album beginning to end. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:33:30 PM »

Yeah.. it's not like Snoop is gonna go up on stage and perform the "Bathtub Intro" and then have Rage come on stage and start setting shit off.  That would be one hell of a show if he really performed the album beginning to end. 

The camp toured with it after Nates death. Full album shows

bouli77

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »

he did it in paris in july 11, i was there. he performed the album from top to bottom (he did the songs in their entirety) with a few video interludes ala up in smoke but with the doggystyle skits. Daz, Kurupt, Rage, RBX & Warren G were there, they also performed regulate and a few songs from the chronic (stranded on death row), it's on youtube.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »

he did it in paris in july 11, i was there. he performed the album from top to bottom (he did the songs in their entirety) with a few video interludes ala up in smoke but with the doggystyle skits. Daz, Kurupt, Rage, RBX & Warren G were there, they also performed regulate and a few songs from the chronic (stranded on death row), it's on youtube.

shit man, thanks for the info - i looked it up on youtube, shit ass quality but still good to see. i'd go nuts to see it live

doggfather

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
he have to. than shame for the last albums...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

rayza

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
Just shows what that much weed does for your attention span IMO

bouli77

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
it's understandable though. who's gonna listen to his own album from beginning to end ? most people can't bear to hear their voices, snoop didn't make music for himself, he made music for others to listen to.