Author Topic: Straight Outta Compton - The Movie Inconsistencies (SPOILERS)  (Read 1732 times)

abusive

Re: Straight Outta Compton - The Movie Inconsistencies (SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »
Another flaw in the otherwise excellent movie was the portrayal of Dr. Dre. To me, that dude behaved nothing like Dre. He portrayed him as like an innocent, likable, sociable, good-guy. But we all know the truth about Dre. He's an awkward, anti-social guy, probably a closet homosexual, who never seemed comfortable on stage or in front of a camera. His body language always made him seem kinda evil and sadistic to me too. I would bet that when he was on good terms with Suge, he enjoyed taking part in the beatdowns of various people.

Speaking of beatdowns, what's the real story about Suge beating up Eazy E? I never knew much about this, but I found it hard to believe that Eazy got beat up and then did nothing in retaliation because Jerry Heller convinced him to be the bigger man.

I don't know the truth of what went down, but I will say that the scene of Suge and his homies beating up Eazy made me really think Suge is a piece of a shit. What kind of dude needs a group to beat up a guy who is 2 feet shorter? The movie definitely made Suge out to be a hateful bitch.
Interesting.

I recently saw Dre's Big Boy interview and he came off as a killer to me. There was a part that I watched over a few times where he smiles but then catches himself and stops. I don't think he knows who he is. Like when people emulate others because their self image isn't.......It's hard to explain, you might know what I mean.

I know what you mean. Dre comes off not as a tough guy, but as an unstable sociopath weirdo. He's uncomfortable in front of cameras because he's not being himself, he's being a character. 
Sociopath or psychopath one of the two.
yall overanalyzing the man like a mufucka....mobnigga, u know a lot of people think quik n his mannerisms are gay. at the end of the day, if u lookin that close at how another man moves and try to think what they thinkin as u watchin em, thats gay in itself.
I do this and that is my professional opinion. I'm a doctor, not a lawyer. :)
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 09:53:53 AM »
Another flaw in the otherwise excellent movie was the portrayal of Dr. Dre. To me, that dude behaved nothing like Dre. He portrayed him as like an innocent, likable, sociable, good-guy. But we all know the truth about Dre. He's an awkward, anti-social guy, probably a closet homosexual, who never seemed comfortable on stage or in front of a camera. His body language always made him seem kinda evil and sadistic to me too. I would bet that when he was on good terms with Suge, he enjoyed taking part in the beatdowns of various people.

Speaking of beatdowns, what's the real story about Suge beating up Eazy E? I never knew much about this, but I found it hard to believe that Eazy got beat up and then did nothing in retaliation because Jerry Heller convinced him to be the bigger man.

I don't know the truth of what went down, but I will say that the scene of Suge and his homies beating up Eazy made me really think Suge is a piece of a shit. What kind of dude needs a group to beat up a guy who is 2 feet shorter? The movie definitely made Suge out to be a hateful bitch.

i thought dre was portrayed pretty well, they just embellished some shit, like how tough he was, but at the end of the day, it felt like dre, especially the studio scenes.......

jerry heller confirmed the eazy incident and havin to talk him outa killin suge

He probably was that tough. We know he beat on women, he probably got into shit with dudes as well. He was Suge's star act and he owned half the label so he could probably get away with that.

lol so beating on women makes u tough?

Depends what you mean by tough. It certainly means you're violent and don't give a shit.

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

i thought dre was portrayed pretty well, they just embellished some shit, like how tough he was, but at the end of the day, it felt like dre, especially the studio scenes.......

He probably was that tough. We know he beat on women, he probably got into shit with dudes as well. He was Suge's star act and he owned half the label so he could probably get away with that.

Depends what you mean by tough. It certainly means you're violent and don't give a shit.

gettin physical wit men and women is 2 diff things......dre in the movie was portrayed as a tough guy who got physical wit any1. i dont think the fact that he beat his women has any baring on that.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
yall overanalyzing the man like a mufucka....mobnigga, u know a lot of people think quik n his mannerisms are gay. at the end of the day, if u lookin that close at how another man moves and try to think what they thinkin as u watchin em, thats gay in itself.

Nah, nigga, you trippin. Plenty of people have said these things about Dre before me. There was a thread on here not too long ago about how Dre is so awkward in front of the camera. Why would he be that way? Cause he ain't bein himself.

Also, beating up a woman suggests mental illness (or instability) to me. You gotta be a little fucked up in the head to beat up a woman knowing that so much bad shit will happen to your life as a result.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »

Nah, nigga, you trippin. Plenty of people have said these things about Dre before me. There was a thread on here not too long ago about how Dre is so awkward in front of the camera. Why would he be that way? Cause he ain't bein himself.

Also, beating up a woman suggests mental illness (or instability) to me. You gotta be a little fucked up in the head to beat up a woman knowing that so much bad shit will happen to your life as a result.

so what u gota say bout this thread right here?

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=282800.0

Mr.(Ko)Kane

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
I also wondered why they did that "Nuthin' But A G Thang" like that...you know, Snoop freestyling his verse. Dre once said that the original song featured Snoop's verse that he recorded over the phone while being in jail. Could have been a cool movie scene as well.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »

gettin physical wit men and women is 2 diff things......dre in the movie was portrayed as a tough guy who got physical wit any1. i dont think the fact that he beat his women has any baring on that.

If you're that fucked up to hit a woman why wouldn't you hit a dude? Morally its a lot easier to do.

Anyway we know he hit dudes. It wasn't all over the news but its in his history all the same:

"In 1992, Dre was arrested for assaulting record producer Damon Thomas and later plead guilty to assault on a police officer, eventually serving house arrest and wearing a police-monitoring ankle bracelet."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/dr-dre/biography

Dre was a violent young man.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »

Interesting.

I recently saw Dre's Big Boy interview and he came off as a killer to me. There was a part that I watched over a few times where he smiles but then catches himself and stops. I don't think he knows who he is. Like when people emulate others because their self image isn't.......It's hard to explain, you might know what I mean.

I know what you mean. Dre comes off not as a tough guy, but as an unstable sociopath weirdo. He's uncomfortable in front of cameras because he's not being himself, he's being a character. 

You're talking a whole lot of nothing. This man chose to be in front of cameras. He could've easily stuck to being the producer and staying in the background. Instead he was wearing shiny suits and rapping with the Wreckin Cru, then doing the gangsta thing in black with N.W.A.

The camera shy, uncomfortable member of the group was Eazy. Dre's the one who talked him into rapping and portraying the character in the first place. He had to be coached to be a rapper.

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »

If you're that fucked up to hit a woman why wouldn't you hit a dude? Morally its a lot easier to do.

Anyway we know he hit dudes. It wasn't all over the news but its in his history all the same:

"In 1992, Dre was arrested for assaulting record producer Damon Thomas and later plead guilty to assault on a police officer, eventually serving house arrest and wearing a police-monitoring ankle bracelet."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/dr-dre/biography

Dre was a violent young man.

Gangsta

Don Seer

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 05:07:02 AM »
.dre in the movie was portrayed as a tough guy who got physical wit any1.

movie alluded that he had a big mouth.. and in the film, i recall he only punched one guy, one of suges goons right near the end

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
It's a movie so they have to fit the story into 2 short hours, so there is going to be inconsistencies.  But it was a heroic effort, and props to F. Gary Gray and Dre for doing this shit right.

Just for fun though here is some stuff I noticed....

-They made it look like Alonzo was the bad guy making Dre wear that shit and make that music, but I think that that stuff was considered fly back in that era, and that Dre was just taking it to another level when he got into gangsta rap, but I think he liked what he was doing before that.

-They made it look like Jerry followed Eazy but according to Jerry easy paid some bodygaurd friend of his thousands just for the opportunity to have a word with Jerry.

-They showed NWA punching the cops after running away and scrapping with them in Detroit.  If they really fought with them like that, it would of been guaranteed prison time.

-A deleted scene also may of been Dre getting busted for drunk driving.  He did spend some time in a halfway house towards the end of his run with Death Row, and there was some scene in a commercial of Kim walking out of a phone session with him while he was in prison.  Too bad they had to cut good stuff out but a movie can only be so long.

-I actually thought Snoops character was Kurupts character.  I thought it was the whole Dogg pound walking in, lol... they had Snoop in all black and it was before his braided days and the actor looked more like Kurupt than Snoop.

-I really thought they would do the bachelors party scene where Dre plays Snoops tape.

-I loved the Suge/Dre scenes in the last days of his time at Death Row.  I thought the ending was awesome the way Suge asks Dre what he will call his label and Dre goes off into the light answering—"AFTERMATH".   I also loved the scene where Dre tells all those free-loaders off and even punches one of Suges goons.  That was actually an added scene, and its a damn good thing they added it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
It's a movie so they have to fit the story into 2 short hours, so there is going to be inconsistencies.  But it was a heroic effort, and props to F. Gary Gray and Dre for doing this shit right.

Just for fun though here is some stuff I noticed....

-They made it look like Alonzo was the bad guy making Dre wear that shit and make that music, but I think that that stuff was considered fly back in that era, and that Dre was just taking it to another level when he got into gangsta rap, but I think he liked what he was doing before that.

-They made it look like Jerry followed Eazy but according to Jerry easy paid some bodygaurd friend of his thousands just for the opportunity to have a word with Jerry.

-They showed NWA punching the cops after running away and scrapping with them in Detroit.  If they really fought with them like that, it would of been guaranteed prison time.

-A deleted scene also may of been Dre getting busted for drunk driving.  He did spend some time in a halfway house towards the end of his run with Death Row, and there was some scene in a commercial of Kim walking out of a phone session with him while he was in prison.  Too bad they had to cut good stuff out but a movie can only be so long.

-I actually thought Snoops character was Kurupts character.  I thought it was the whole Dogg pound walking in, lol... they had Snoop in all black and it was before his braided days and the actor looked more like Kurupt than Snoop.

-I really thought they would do the bachelors party scene where Dre plays Snoops tape.

-I loved the Suge/Dre scenes in the last days of his time at Death Row.  I thought the ending was awesome the way Suge asks Dre what he will call his label and Dre goes off into the light answering—"AFTERMATH".   I also loved the scene where Dre tells all those free-loaders off and even punches one of Suges goons.  That was actually an added scene, and its a damn good thing they added it.

I have heard some interviews from DJ Yella, who seems really honest and down to earth about what really happened. He's admitted that some of the movie is either condensed for time, or exaggerated, but overall he seems pretty honest about what really happened.

- According to him, they actually were kind to Alonzo... LOL... but mainly because he never paid them. They made all those song, and sold all those records and they never got a dime. But he did admit that they were fine with the flashy suits because that was the style. From Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, to Prince, all the big acts back then dressed like that. And they did it for the ladies, because they had no money so they had to go flashy suits with it. LOL

- One interesting thing Yella mentioned in a few interviews, one with Vlad and one in Germany, is that at the end Heller was getting greedy. He wanted larger tours and more money, but he wanted a larger cut for himself. That's when Dre left. Now Yella never touched on this, but most everyone mentions how Eazy looked for Heller. In an interview with Alonzo, he claims he was the one that Eazy paid to meet him, since Alonzo had the connections already. Listening to Alonzo, I'm not sure how much to believe as he does seem a little dishonest... But he made his money. Even said he got paid for the Eazy E EP It's On because of the Dr. Dre picture.

- NWA punching the cop is COMPLETELY false. Yella said that they cut off the music and they just went off stage and the cops gave them an $80 fine that night. They were ran off the stage and then fined. That was it. LOL. I have no idea what happened in the movie.

- I'm sure they cut out a lot. I guess they were going to do the Dee Barnes scene, as that made sense to the story since it was part of the groups break up and why they dissed Ice Cube to begin with. But they did cut a lot out, Dee Barnes has admitted as much as to not wanting to see her on screen getting abused, so maybe her people called in and told them not to shoot that. Almost everyone admits a lot was cut off. I hope that the rumored Death Row sequel happens, I'm sure a lot more of Death Row Records and Snoop and them will get explained.

- That last scene, I have to see it. Everyone makes it out to be so great... LOL. I just know it was going to have a different name first. Then when Death Row basically crumbed then Dre changed it to Aftermath. But again, what's the movie going to do, draw it all out to get Aftermath... LOL.

-

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
.dre in the movie was portrayed as a tough guy who got physical wit any1.

movie alluded that he had a big mouth.. and in the film, i recall he only punched one guy, one of suges goons right near the end

And at least in that scene he had a reason. He punched more guys than that in reality, for lesser reasons. He was more of an asshole than the movie made him out to be.

bouli77

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »
I thought the movie was one, big revisionist effort. You can see clearly that it's a vanity project from Dre & Cube and that they did everything to both look like good-hearted, yet bad ass characters who never did anything wrong that was not warranted by the situations and they were both surrounded by shady characters (Bryan Turner, Jerry Heller, Suge Knight) who gave them reason to act bad. Had the movie been not produced by Dre & Cube, and shot long after everybody was dead, it would have been totally different. It was an entertaining movie and the music part of it was great, but overall it came out as pretty dishonest and although the actors delivered, it was too Manichean and simplistic. I understand the need for conciseness but some of the shortcuts taken were simply grotesque. There was too much stuff to please the fans in the movie that added to the list of inconsistencies.

Here are the inconsistencies I noticed :

- Dr. Dre walks in on 2pac recording Hail Mary when Eazy E is supposedly still alive. Eazy died in March 1995, 2pac didn't join Death Row until fall 1995 when he got out of prison, and Hail Mary was recorded long after Dre left Death Row in february 1996.

- They make it look like Eazy E's lifestyle downgraded after Dre left the label, yet Eazy E was getting paid off The Chronic (Dre Day only meant Eazy's pay day) and It's On went multi platinum, and Ruthless hit it big with Bone Thugs who went multi platinum with Creepin On Ah Come Up, so best believe Eazy E was still getting it even with Dre being gone.

- When they introduced Snoop, the hook is already ready, when Dre was known to have only one line in mind (tonight's the night I get in some shit)

- They act like Snoop walks in on Dre playing Nuthin But A G-Thang and immediately freestyles his verse and Dre follows up... it's clearly not how it was done, knowing D.O.C. wrote Dre's part and edited Snoop's verse.

- When they mention Death Row to Eazy E, supposedly the whole Death Row idea was Dre's vision of a west coast Def Jam (and it was called Def Row first) and it was supposed to be a sub label under Ruthless until Dre shopped it elsewhere thanks to Suge. In the movie, it was never question of Death Row being a sub label.

- I'm not sure, but Jerry was not fired by Eazy was he ?

- Overall, the depiction of Jerry Heller is a fucking joke, which betrays Cube's vision of Jerry. I mean Jerry is clearly the villain of the movie but a lot of people still give him props to this day for opening doors for NWA, and I'm pretty sure he was there for Eazy's final moments (I think I read it in his book but it's been years since I last read it).

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
I thought the movie was one, big revisionist effort. You can see clearly that it's a vanity project from Dre & Cube and that they did everything to both look like good-hearted, yet bad ass characters who never did anything wrong that was not warranted by the situations and they were both surrounded by shady characters (Bryan Turner, Jerry Heller, Suge Knight) who gave them reason to act bad. Had the movie been not produced by Dre & Cube, and shot long after everybody was dead, it would have been totally different. It was an entertaining movie and the music part of it was great, but overall it came out as pretty dishonest and although the actors delivered, it was too Manichean and simplistic. I understand the need for conciseness but some of the shortcuts taken were simply grotesque. There was too much stuff to please the fans in the movie that added to the list of inconsistencies.

Here are the inconsistencies I noticed :

- Dr. Dre walks in on 2pac recording Hail Mary when Eazy E is supposedly still alive. Eazy died in March 1995, 2pac didn't join Death Row until fall 1995 when he got out of prison, and Hail Mary was recorded long after Dre left Death Row in february 1996.

- They make it look like Eazy E's lifestyle downgraded after Dre left the label, yet Eazy E was getting paid off The Chronic (Dre Day only meant Eazy's pay day) and It's On went multi platinum, and Ruthless hit it big with Bone Thugs who went multi platinum with Creepin On Ah Come Up, so best believe Eazy E was still getting it even with Dre being gone.

- When they introduced Snoop, the hook is already ready, when Dre was known to have only one line in mind (tonight's the night I get in some shit)

- They act like Snoop walks in on Dre playing Nuthin But A G-Thang and immediately freestyles his verse and Dre follows up... it's clearly not how it was done, knowing D.O.C. wrote Dre's part and edited Snoop's verse.

- When they mention Death Row to Eazy E, supposedly the whole Death Row idea was Dre's vision of a west coast Def Jam (and it was called Def Row first) and it was supposed to be a sub label under Ruthless until Dre shopped it elsewhere thanks to Suge. In the movie, it was never question of Death Row being a sub label.

- I'm not sure, but Jerry was not fired by Eazy was he ?

- Overall, the depiction of Jerry Heller is a fucking joke, which betrays Cube's vision of Jerry. I mean Jerry is clearly the villain of the movie but a lot of people still give him props to this day for opening doors for NWA, and I'm pretty sure he was there for Eazy's final moments (I think I read it in his book but it's been years since I last read it).

Some parts were uneven. Like 2Pac's part. I think they'd admit that as they wanted to fit him and others in.

The image of Jerry Heller is how I think all of them feel, but just Cube and Dre. Yella does not have kind words for Jerry when it comes to NWA's break up.

I'm not sure what Eazy's life was portrayed as after Dre left, but some have said he was very hurt. He might have been making more money, but he was not happy about the situation.