Author Topic: RAS KASS: "SOUL ON ICE ORIGINALLY GOT 6 MICS FROM THE SOURCE"  (Read 605 times)

Sccit

RAS KASS: "SOUL ON ICE ORIGINALLY GOT 6 MICS FROM THE SOURCE"
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:29:27 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2ScwmzckI7o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2ScwmzckI7o</a>

doggfather

Re: RAS KASS: "SOUL ON ICE ORIGINALLY GOT 6 MICS FROM THE SOURCE"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:50:06 AM »
interesting
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
WOW.. his album came out in Sept of 96?   That's the most historic month in all of hip-hop history!  It would be easy for an album to get drowned at that time with everything that was going on.... yeah.. he would've been way better off coming out closer to the time of Illmatic and trying to present himself as a West Coast answer to what Nas was doing
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »
highly doubt it

4 mic album at best anyway

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
WOW.. his album came out in Sept of 96?   That's the most historic month in all of hip-hop history!  It would be easy for an album to get drowned at that time with everything that was going on.... yeah.. he would've been way better off coming out closer to the time of Illmatic and trying to present himself as a West Coast answer to what Nas was doing

you know how you always say you're 1996 (pre september 13)...soul on ice came out september 17th of 1996...so i think you might be 1996 (pre september 17), considering soul on ice makes for a good portion of your hip-hop repertoire. soul on ice may have a higher meaning than we know......it may actually mark the true death of west coast dominance. it was the album that was supposed to make the east take the west coast serious as far emceeing goes....it went from getting 6 mics in the source to flopping commercially, marking the official fall of the west. damn shame.

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 01:10:47 AM »
i didnt watch the interview but the most mics that you could get awarded by the source were 5
...ok went back and watched it. so essentially hes saying that because his album was so good it was gonna be considered better than any other reviewed album ever by the source up untill that point. shit, at the time the chronic had only got 4 1/2. i think he may be putting alot on it in this interview, either that or someone sold him a dream back then.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:15:53 AM by CHUCK KNOXXX »
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

HighEyeCue

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:10:57 AM »

Ras was as dope as Nas was back then... its just that his album didn't measure up to Illmatic

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
Fuck all that noise, soul on ice is a classic

doggfather

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:04 AM »

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »

you know how you always say you're 1996 (pre september 13)...soul on ice came out september 17th of 1996...so i think you might be 1996 (pre september 17), considering soul on ice makes for a good portion of your hip-hop repertoire. soul on ice may have a higher meaning than we know......it may actually mark the true death of west coast dominance. it was the album that was supposed to make the east take the west coast serious as far emceeing goes....it went from getting 6 mics in the source to flopping commercially, marking the official fall of the west. damn shame.

Yeah.. knowing it came out when it did, does reveal that this album did come with much deeper implications than we truly realize.... there's other interesting connections, like I just read that Jerry Hellar was responsible for getting Soul On Ice published way back in the late 60's (the book that inspired Ras when he was in prison)
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
Six Mics would have been idiotic.  The thing that made The Source work was that getting Five Mics was close to impossible.  Once they allowed their rating system to be compromised, it was done.  Say what you will about both Chronics getting passed over or Doggystyle but at least, with that example, it sets a powerful standard to live up to.  Once they gave five to that Lil Kim album (the fact that I don't even remember the title should tell you something), it was hard to have any faith in the ratings system. Not a knock on Kim but does anyone remember that album at all?  It had a banging single in "Lighters Up" but I can't even remember the rest of it.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
Its a classic album just because it was one of the first albums I listened to when getting into hip-hop & rap so it brings back alot of memories. Other than that great album but definitely not worth 6 mics or even 5.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
Its a classic album just because it was one of the first albums I listened to when getting into hip-hop & rap so it brings back alot of memories. Other than that great album but definitely not worth 6 mics or even 5.

I agree...an album does not have to be 5 mics to be classic...there are some examples of being both but a 5 mic rating should be special not given out to a Lil Kim album and whatever is hot at the moment

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »

It's a classic album because it bumps front to back and every joint goes .. To me, it can hold its own against any rap album ever made

Blood$

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:15 PM »
i didnt watch the interview but the most mics that you could get awarded by the source were 5
...ok went back and watched it. so essentially hes saying that because his album was so good it was gonna be considered better than any other reviewed album ever by the source up untill that point. shit, at the time the chronic had only got 4 1/2. i think he may be putting alot on it in this interview, either that or someone sold him a dream back then.

Ras has always been one to exaggerate and not be the most reliable guy... very gifted lyricist no taking that away from him but I wouldn't believe most of the shit he says bigging himself up in interviews