Poll

Which album you love more?

Aftermath Presents
1 (6.7%)
Dre 2001
14 (93.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Aftermath Presents vs. Dr. Dre 2001  (Read 739 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Aftermath Presents vs. Dr. Dre 2001
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:49:49 AM »
I might be the only one to say this.  I know that Dre 2001 was a classic, and much better album...  but I really don't listen to it anymore.

...The album that has really stood the test of time for me is Aftermath Presents.  In some ways I think Dre may have been ahead of his time.  And of course, I am INFINITE TRAPPED IN 1996 and the album really puts my mentals back in that time period with all the East/West drama and Dre movin on to leave Death Row and start a new chapter in hip-hop history.

If you compare some of the bangers they are somewhat comparable.  I think that...

"East/West Killaz" is as good as "Forgot About Dre"
"Nationowl" is as good as "The Watcher"
"Fame" is not as good but comparable to "L.A. Niggaz"
"St8 Gone" is not as good but comparable to "What's The Difference"
"Shittin On The World" is as good as "Big Ego's"
"Blunt Time" not as good as but comparable to "The Next Episode"

Dre should've made the Aftermath album a sampler or an EP.  He would've gotten mad respect if the album had simply ran a tracklist like this...

1.  "East/West Killaz"
2.  "Shittin On The World"
3.  "Blunt Time"
4.  "ST8 Gone"
5.  "Nationowl"
6.  "Fame"

^^Would've been a classic^^

...there was some demos and filler in Aftermath Presents but even those are listenable.  Not the quality of the rest of 2001, but listenable.  And ultimately for nostalgia purposes there are few records better than Aftermath Presents.  That's why in retrospect I love it more.   8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:52:44 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: Aftermath Presents vs. Dr. Dre 2001
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »
I might be the only one to say this.  I know that Dre 2001 was a classic, and much better album...  

So why is this a question?!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:16:54 AM »
I might be the only one to say this.  I know that Dre 2001 was a classic, and much better album...  

That was objectively speaking.  Objectively speaking 2001 is a higher quality album, but I was asking which one you love more.  Just like objectively speaking Kim Kardashian is the baddest female, but personally I would take a 96' Foxy Brown over her

Okka

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »
This has to be a joke.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
I might be the only one to say this.  I know that Dre 2001 was a classic, and much better album... 

That was objectively speaking.  Objectively speaking 2001 is a higher quality album, but I was asking which one you love more.  Just like objectively speaking Kim Kardashian is the baddest female, but personally I would take a 96' Foxy Brown over her

WOULD U FUCK KIM KARDASHIAN THO?

REALLY, THIS THREAD ISN'T VIABLE, BECAUSE NO ONES GUNA PICK THE COMPILATION..U PROLLY CAN BUMP IT MORE CUZ U DIDNT PLAY IT OUT AS MUCH. 2001 WAS EVERYWHERE, EVEN WHEN U DIDNT WANNA HEAR IT, SHIT WAS ON. A BETTER PREMISE FOR A THREAD WOULD BE WHICH DRE SOUND DO U PREFER...THE MID-90S BEEN THERE DONE THAT-KEEP THEM HEADS RINGIN SOUND VS THE 2001 STILL DRE-FORGOT ABOUT DRE SOUND.

bouli77

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »
WHICH DRE SOUND DO U PREFER...THE MID-90S BEEN THERE DONE THAT-KEEP THEM HEADS RINGIN SOUND VS THE 2001 STILL DRE-FORGOT ABOUT DRE SOUND.

Keep Their Heads Ringing has a totally different sound and vibe from Been There Done That and the whole Aftermath compilation, another era had begun with Been There Done That with a less G-Funk sound.

I think that's an interesting thread though, I think the Aftermath was a bit underrated because how underwhelming it seemed for most people at the time who were used to Dre's flamboyant style of production. Of course it's not on par with 2001 but the budgets and the aim were different. Kinda like comparing an era defining blockbuster to a more intimate genre movie, both can be masterpieces in their own regard and sometimes the latter can surpass the former in terms of relevance (obviously not the case here), quality and concepts.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:38 PM »
WHICH DRE SOUND DO U PREFER...THE MID-90S BEEN THERE DONE THAT-KEEP THEM HEADS RINGIN SOUND VS THE 2001 STILL DRE-FORGOT ABOUT DRE SOUND.

Keep Their Heads Ringing has a totally different sound and vibe from Been There Done That and the whole Aftermath compilation, another era had begun with Been There Done That with a less G-Funk sound.

I think that's an interesting thread though, I think the Aftermath was a bit underrated because how underwhelming it seemed for most people at the time who were used to Dre's flamboyant style of production. Of course it's not on par with 2001 but the budgets and the aim were different. Kinda like comparing an era defining blockbuster to a more intimate genre movie, both can be masterpieces in their own regard and sometimes the latter can surpass the former in terms of relevance (obviously not the case here), quality and concepts.

lol the fuck u talkin bout, keep their heads ringin and been there done that have an extremely similar vibe and sound as close as can be. u trippin bruh, i know u love 2 be on top of shit, but u way off on this 1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:07:50 PM »

good lookin out cuz... At least someone appreciates the thread...  And yes... "Keep Their Heads Ringin" was a different sound from a different integer in Dre's career.  You described it well, saying it was a more flamboyant sound people were used to from Dre at the time.  I mean, it fits with other post-Doggystyle bangers Dre had been doin like "Natural Born Killaz" and "California Love".   Sccit, if you don't believe bouli, Dre even said it himself in the BET Rap City show when they were with him and King Tee out on a golf course.  They asked him to describe his new sound since leaving Death Row, and he said he was into a "smoother" sound like less is more kind of feel.  So your the one that is trippin cuzz.... (probably because you didn't come all into hip-hop until the Doggfather album which is why all your opinions and info for prior happenings are a bit jaded)

I remember when I first heard "Been There Done That" it was a bit underwhelming for me.  I remembered thinking, "What, they made a video for this song?  It's okay, but not worthy of a big single and video, it is too slowwww!"  That was my first impression.  I still bumped the shit out of that track, but that's because I was a diehard Dre fan.  I don't think the casual fans were ready to accept a more subdued sound from Dre, like Bouli said.

Dre did hold to that smoother sound even in 2001.  Tracks like "Big Ego's" and others kind of fit that model.  So he didn't totally abandon that sound when it didn't garner his standard of critical and commercial praise on Aftermath Presents and The Firm.

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »

good lookin out cuz... At least someone appreciates the thread...  And yes... "Keep Their Heads Ringin" was a different sound from a different integer in Dre's career.  You described it well, saying it was a more flamboyant sound people were used to from Dre at the time.  I mean, it fits with other post-Doggystyle bangers Dre had been doin like "Natural Born Killaz" and "California Love".   Sccit, if you don't believe bouli, Dre even said it himself in the BET Rap City show when they were with him and King Tee out on a golf course.  They asked him to describe his new sound since leaving Death Row, and he said he was into a "smoother" sound like less is more kind of feel.  So your the one that is trippin cuzz.... (probably because you didn't come all into hip-hop until the Doggfather album which is why all your opinions and info for prior happenings are a bit jaded)

I remember when I first heard "Been There Done That" it was a bit underwhelming for me.  I remembered thinking, "What, they made a video for this song?  It's okay, but not worthy of a big single and video, it is too slowwww!"  That was my first impression.  I still bumped the shit out of that track, but that's because I was a diehard Dre fan.  I don't think the casual fans were ready to accept a more subdued sound from Dre, like Bouli said.

Dre did hold to that smoother sound even in 2001.  Tracks like "Big Ego's" and others kind of fit that model.  So he didn't totally abandon that sound when it didn't garner his standard of critical and commercial praise on Aftermath Presents and The Firm.

Actually u are wrong on almost every front .. Listen to keep their heads ringin n been there done that back to back. Both a lowkey eerie, laid back vibe, similar tempo, drums.. Only the additional synths on keep their heads ringin is what u can say separate the two, but not nearly enough to say it's 2 different styles.. Not by a long shot. And also, duno why ud say I got into rap in 98, as I was listening to efil4zaggin n eazy duz it in 93-94 already when my uncle played it for me.. So yea, u trippin on that front as well, and that ain't the first time I had to correct u on that either.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 03:57:11 AM »

Actually u are wrong on almost every front .. Listen to keep their heads ringin n been there done that back to back. Both a lowkey eerie, laid back vibe, similar tempo, drums.. Only the additional synths on keep their heads ringin is what u can say separate the two, but not nearly enough to say it's 2 different styles.. Not by a long shot. And also, duno why ud say I got into rap in 98, as I was listening to efil4zaggin n eazy duz it in 93-94 already when my uncle played it for me.. So yea, u trippin on that front as well, and that ain't the first time I had to correct u on that either.

I didn't ask when you'd heard your first rap song.  I think everybody heard some songs here and there as a kid.  I'm talking about once you were ALL IN... and by the way, I said you became a hip-hop head at the time of the Doggfather album which was late 96', so I don't know where you came up with 98...

As for "Keep Their Heads Ringing" lol@it being eerie, laid back, and low key... "Keep The Heads Ringing" is a hype track, and anyone would identify "Been There Done That" as being considerably more subdued.

btw.. to answer your earlier question, of course I would with Kim Kardashian
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:02:12 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
The Afternath compilation had a few hidden gems but no one likes it for a good reason. I always hoped Dre would avenge the album by doing a follow-up compilation. Imagine if he dropped a part 2 in 05 when Em, 50, Busta, Game, Eve, Stat Quo, etc were all around with Obie, G-Unit, etc all with the camp.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »

I didn't ask when you'd heard your first rap song.  I think everybody heard some songs here and there as a kid.  I'm talking about once you were ALL IN... and by the way, I said you became a hip-hop head at the time of the Doggfather album which was late 96', so I don't know where you came up with 98...

As for "Keep Their Heads Ringing" lol@it being eerie, laid back, and low key... "Keep The Heads Ringing" is a hype track, and anyone would identify "Been There Done That" as being considerably more subdued.

It was maybe early 94 when I would sit in my room bumpin efil4zaggin front to back on full blast, memorizing every word .. I still remember my pops bumpin snoop "what's my name" on the way to first grade and digital undergound, beastie boys, and run dmc in the home system early 90s, I loved all that shit and it actually blew my mind. So either way, your doggfather assessment is off .. Keep their heads ringin is extremely eerie btw, duno if id call that a "hype track", to me a "hype track" consists of a faster tempo and more in your face raps.. Think public enemy or some early NWA. Anyways, like I said, bump both instrumentals back to back n get back to me.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:45 PM »

It was maybe early 94 when I would sit in my room bumpin efil4zaggin front to back on full blast, memorizing every word .. I still remember my pops bumpin snoop "what's my name" on the way to first grade and digital undergound, beastie boys, and run dmc in the home system early 90s, I loved all that shit and it actually blew my mind. So either way, your doggfather assessment is off .. Keep their heads ringin is extremely eerie btw, duno if id call that a "hype track", to me a "hype track" consists of a faster tempo and more in your face raps.. Think public enemy or some early NWA. Anyways, like I said, bump both instrumentals back to back n get back to me.

Well music is subjective so it can be whatever you want it to be at the end of the day.  

Can't remember where it was or what thread, but I could've sworn you said something about not being around for Doggystyle, and how the Doggfather album was the turning point for you that got you into hip-hop.  I must be wrong, because only you would know that.  I think you will at least agree that you considered the Doggfather album a success from jump, and I think most that were around in those mid-90's know just how disappointing it was at the time.  So much was riding on that album and it was the first big failure for Snoop/Death Row and a changing of the guard—and the beginning of the end of the golden era.  

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »

Well music is subjective so it can be whatever you want it to be at the end of the day.  

Can't remember where it was or what thread, but I could've sworn you said something about not being around for Doggystyle, and how the Doggfather album was the turning point for you that got you into hip-hop.  I must be wrong, because only you would know that.  I think you will at least agree that you considered the Doggfather album a success from jump, and I think most that were around in those mid-90's know just how disappointing it was at the time.  So much was riding on that album and it was the first big failure for Snoop/Death Row and a changing of the guard—and the beginning of the end of the golden era.  

Of course doggfather was a huge letdown .. We went from a fully Dre produced album to no Dre beats at all. But in retrospect, still an excellent album.

Tha Crip

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
The Afternath compilation had a few hidden gems but no one likes it for a good reason. I always hoped Dre would avenge the album by doing a follow-up compilation. Imagine if he dropped a part 2 in 05 when Em, 50, Busta, Game, Eve, Stat Quo, etc were all around with Obie, G-Unit, etc all with the camp.

I'd imagine that's what Detox pretty much was...at that time. Heard there was several versions of it throughout the early 2000s
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"