Author Topic: Don't You hate it when you love a song, then find out it's a Cover? SONOFABITC  (Read 281 times)

Trauma-san

Don't you hate it, when you hear a really cool song, and you think they wrote it, and you love it, then you find out later that it ain't even theirs, but an exact copy of an original song? LOL SON OF A BITCH.  I just got a downer from hell.

"The First Cut Is The Deepest" by Sheryl Crow... wasn't written by Sheryl Crow. it's an old Cat Stevens song.  That fucking sucks, here I was going around telling everybody she wrote it about me and shit, and she didn't even write it.  

Don Breezio

Re:Don't You hate it when you love a song, then find out it's a Cover? SONOFAB
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:14:22 AM »
lmfao @ the last line....i dont hate that...actually i enjoy that...like i went to a finger eleven concert back in like 2000 and they did "walking in my shoes"...come to find out depeche mode did it first lol....i almost like depeche modes version better. they're both damn good.

teecee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 11:43:08 AM »
I thought it was an old Rod Stewart song!  He was the first one who made it famous anyway.....

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:10:52 PM »
yea for me its like that with samples. came to find out that my favorite rap songs contained samples that sound exactly the same.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

gdmfsob

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 02:14:43 PM »
yea for me its like that with samples. came to find out that my favorite rap songs contained samples that sound exactly the same.

word. i'm a big parliament/funkadelic head and i was quite surprised when i found out how much dre actually used from george clinton's work. it's all good though.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »
i just think its funny, like the whole samples thing , one that i can rember is Nas's get down, i thought that beat was sooo sick, then i heard the original james brown, and was like bastard, i thought it was his original beat, i guess it was too good to be true, nowadays its hard to tell wats a sample or wats orignal with so many things being sampled, i dont think its bad tho, cause it just means we apriciate different types of music

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 09:10:44 PM »
man, same shit with Snoop's cover of Rakim's Paid in Full. I Liked Snoop's version better.
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 09:19:14 PM »
I was disgusted the first time I heard "I wanna do something freaky to you" .  I even went around telling people that Dre's "G Thang" was different, because he um, eq'd it, and added little touches here and there that totally changed it.

NO THE FUCK HE DIDN'T! He straight up jacked that beat, made it his biggest hit of all time, and got superstar producer props from it, and didn't even record 1 fucking instrument over it.  I take that back, he added the keys.  The whole damn bass, drums, wah guitar, all that shit was on the original song.  

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 06:13:37 AM »
man, same shit with Snoop's cover of Rakim's Paid in Full. I Liked Snoop's version better.

Your kidding right?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 06:21:57 AM »

Your kidding right?

That's what I'm saying. SnoopGogg818 you had never heard Paid In Full before 2002?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 06:35:37 AM »

Your kidding right?

That's what I'm saying. SnoopGogg818 you had never heard Paid In Full before 2002?

LOL!

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 09:07:48 PM »
yep i really hate that... 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 11:55:56 PM »
I was disgusted the first time I heard "I wanna do something freaky to you" .  I even went around telling people that Dre's "G Thang" was different, because he um, eq'd it, and added little touches here and there that totally changed it.

NO THE FUCK HE DIDN'T! He straight up jacked that beat, made it his biggest hit of all time, and got superstar producer props from it, and didn't even record 1 fucking instrument over it.  I take that back, he added the keys.  The whole damn bass, drums, wah guitar, all that shit was on the original song.  

You got it twisted man, he re-did the whole thing...Made it way smoother; better drums, strings, bass, etc...Sampling isn't as easy as you think man...Dre took that sample, and made it sound 10X better...If/When you start producing, you'll see this...

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 12:11:39 AM »
Depends...im of the age and music background where a hell of a lot of artists i recognise are using covers from older (not always a long time before) and more often than not better artists to make them famous / popular...

...only one i think of right now that really pissed me off was that shitty girl band girls aloud or one of those manufactured bands singing adina howard's freak like me....using same melody, hooks, lyrics, ....badly !

Usually i dont mind so much..but when its blatently taking the piss...well ya know

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 04:56:50 AM »

You got it twisted man, he re-did the whole thing...Made it way smoother; better drums, strings, bass, etc...Sampling isn't as easy as you think man...Dre took that sample, and made it sound 10X better...If/When you start producing, you'll see this...

LOL Please.  I do produce, I record full songs, with live instruments I play, songs I write, and vocals I sing.  Dre didn't do anything special with that sample.  PUFF DADDY could have done what Dre did with that sample, and when PUFF DADDY did all about the benjamins, Dre told a reporter "I've got that record at home, why didn't I think of it????"