Author Topic: 1 hit wonders of rap...  (Read 640 times)

mauzip

Re: 1 hit wonders of rap...
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 06:52:01 AM »
hmmm, well i speak for europe,
maybe in the US it was something else... ::)

nah, i'm quite sure dance machine was a hit over here too

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 07:03:05 AM »
J-Kwon - "Tipsy"

nope, Hood Hop his new single is blowing up..

aND THE SONG yOU & ME WILL BLOW UP TOO

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
SCC?  one hit wonders?  dudes have classic albums.  I don't think they ever were commercial.  Not even close to a one hit wonder.

In the early 90's 1991-92, You Gotta Deal Wit' Dis (Gangsta Luv) was all over the radio. I was 11, and that's one of the songs that really got me into rap. In the early 90's, anything gangsta was going on the radio, because Gangsta Rap was the hottest form of rap at the time.

shade shiest - where i wanna be..

and thats mostly because of nate dogg...

Actually Money Owners was a biggest hit than Where I Wanna Be, mainly because of Timberland. Shade Sheist needs to prove he can handle a hit by himself though.

Bye Bye Baby, Daily, and Keep It On The Low also got a significant amount of radio play in the US, and his new album should get some more attention.

I figured that was only Cali radio, because when I was in high school all those songs where on the radio, but when I went to college in Minnesota, no one ever heard of nothing but Westside. But maybe Minnesota's lack of a true hip-hop station has something to do with it, but TQ ain't rap. Who knows.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 02:08:19 PM »

shade shiest - where i wanna be..

and thats mostly because of nate dogg...

Actually Money Owners was a biggest hit than Where I Wanna Be, mainly because of Timberland. Shade Sheist needs to prove he can handle a hit by himself though.

WTF? "Where I Wanna Be" is easily Shade Sheists biggest song...PeACe

Don Seer

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 04:17:07 PM »
^ yup yup...

teecee

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 04:36:57 PM »
Some of this thread is just funny............like Mc Hammer is a one hit wonder!!!!  Pray, 2 legit to quit, Cant touch this, etc   guy had many hits.........just because one song is is most famous does not mean the others werent huge successes also

and how is kris Kross a one hit wonder?  They did have JUMP and WARM IT UP!!!!  two of the most popular songs of that era, both equally as popular as the other

Mack 10?-----ever heard of BACKYARD BOOGIE.........no way foe life is his only hit

and id say its a little early to call JKWON a one hit wonder

As for Shade SHeist,  songs such as Money Owners and Wake Up can hardly be considered hits, let alone rap hits as most people havent even heard the songs........

TQ-  in north america westside is tq's only hit, that is FACT!  How can u call Keep it on the low a hit?  noone liked it, not even gonna be released on an album.......definitely not a hit, if it was a big hit TQ would have it on his upcoming album

Besides, this thread is useless.  A one hit wonder is someone who had a big hit song and was never successful again.  People like Skee-Lo (even though his whole album was dope) and Paperboy are two of the more prominent one hit wonders in rap history.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 09:26:13 PM »
Shit, MC Hammer had a couple of hit songs in '88, Let's Get it Started and Turn this Mutha Out. Remember, that was the song where he was dissin Run DMC if I remember.

2nd II None were not one hit wonders. They had 2 hits from that first album, Be True to the Game and If You Want It. SCC and Mack 10 one hit wonders? WTF?

True one hit wonders:
Tag Team - Whoop there it is
Sir Mixalot - Baby Got Back (yeah I know he released Posse on Broadway but he's known for the former)
Proper Dos - Mexican Power (that song got a lot of play on LA radio then they vanished)
Concious Daughters - Something to Ride To
Black Sheep - The Choice is Yours
Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like That)
Tracey Lee - How We Get Down (I think that's the name of that song...he sounded like Method Man)
Militia - Burn
JJ Fad - Supersonic
Lighter Shade of Brown - Sunday Afternoon
ABC - Iesha (remember those 5 kids that rapped that Michael Bivins was trying to put on?)
Craig Mack - Flava in Your Ear

Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2004, 10:39:05 PM »
Shit, MC Hammer had a couple of hit songs in '88, Let's Get it Started and Turn this Mutha Out. Remember, that was the song where he was dissin Run DMC if I remember.

2nd II None were not one hit wonders. They had 2 hits from that first album, Be True to the Game and If You Want It. SCC and Mack 10 one hit wonders? WTF?

True one hit wonders:
Sir Mixalot - Baby Got Back (yeah I know he released Posse on Broadway but he's known for the former)
Proper Dos - Mexican Power (that song got a lot of play on LA radio then they vanished)
Tracey Lee - How We Get Down (I think that's the name of that song...he sounded like Method Man)
Militia - Burn
JJ Fad - Supersonic
ABC - Iesha (remember those 5 kids that rapped that Michael Bivins was trying to put on?)

SCC commercially only had one hit, in the early 90's, U Gotta Deal Wit It (Gangsta Luv) and since they haven't had a song on the radio, but many classic albums. I was 11 years old, and I remember U Gotta Deal Wit It on the radio all the time, it was on the late night count down for 99.1 in Riverside, which plays nothing but pop music. Since, even on Power, I ain't heard a damn SCC song, and that's from LA/So Cal radio. I was expecting something with their other albums, not even a one time spot.

2nd II None, was Be True to the Game a nationwide hit. I know people outside of Cali heard of If You Want It, but I never heard of Be True to the Game.

agree with Sir Mix-a-Lot and Tag Team (I try to keep it west though, so I kick myself for not naming Mix-a-Lot), Prober Dos I agree with, because commercially he only had Mexican Power, after that I haven't heard his shit on the radio, (Hardtimes is a tight song but never got on the radio), I thought Black Sheep had more hits, just can't name them off the top of my head, never heard of Concious Daughters so I'll take your word, agree with Digable Planets, never really heard the Tracy Lee or Mafia songs, JJ Fad of course, Lighter Shade of Brown, well you gotta check yourself on that one, On A Sunday Afternoon in Cali was their big hit, but also on the radio was Homies, Latin Active, and Hey DJ. Also, Hey DJ was their big nation release of the Mi Viva Loca soundtrack, and had the video played on BET all the time, and I meet dudes from New York that knew of Lighter Shade of Brown through Hey DJ. Another Bad Creation and Craig Mack, I agree.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 06:34:04 PM »

True one hit wonders:
Militia - Burn
JJ Fad - Supersonic

SCC commercially only had one hit, in the early 90's, U Gotta Deal Wit It (Gangsta Luv) and since they haven't had a song on the radio, but many classic albums. I was 11 years old, and I remember U Gotta Deal Wit It on the radio all the time, it was on the late night count down for 99.1 in Riverside, which plays nothing but pop music. Since, even on Power, I ain't heard a damn SCC song, and that's from LA/So Cal radio. I was expecting something with their other albums, not even a one time spot.

2nd II None, was Be True to the Game a nationwide hit. I know people outside of Cali heard of If You Want It, but I never heard of Be True to the Game.

agree with Sir Mix-a-Lot and Tag Team (I try to keep it west though, so I kick myself for not naming Mix-a-Lot), Prober Dos I agree with, because commercially he only had Mexican Power, after that I haven't heard his shit on the radio, (Hardtimes is a tight song but never got on the radio), I thought Black Sheep had more hits, just can't name them off the top of my head, never heard of Concious Daughters so I'll take your word, agree with Digable Planets, never really heard the Tracy Lee or Mafia songs, JJ Fad of course, Lighter Shade of Brown, well you gotta check yourself on that one, On A Sunday Afternoon in Cali was their big hit, but also on the radio was Homies, Latin Active, and Hey DJ. Also, Hey DJ was their big nation release of the Mi Viva Loca soundtrack, and had the video played on BET all the time, and I meet dudes from New York that knew of Lighter Shade of Brown through Hey DJ. Another Bad Creation and Craig Mack, I agree.

You're right about Lighter Shade of Brown. Latin Active was the jam, I completely forgot about that. It was all over Power 106, I remember. I don't think I ever heard Hey DJ or I just don't remember.

Anyone remember College Boys - Victim of the Ghetto? How about that song Helluva? I don't even remember who sang it. Also, I have to add Candyman - Knockin the Boots.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Sikotic™

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 07:22:12 PM »
Mr. Short Khop - Dollaz Drank & Dank
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Mr. RuthlessG

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2004, 07:19:17 AM »
Boss: Recipe Of A Hoe