Author Topic: What happened to Obie Trice?  (Read 531 times)

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
Re: What happened to Obie Trice?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 11:13:23 AM »
Obie's album = Possibly the worst choice of singles in recent memory IMO

You have such a dope CD (I personally thought ''Cheers'' was great) and he releases ''Got Some Teeth'' first. Fair enough, I can just about see the logic in that - up tempo record made for radio play, clubs, etc. although far from the best track on the record. Next, he effectively kills his chances of success by dropping ''The Set Up'' as single number two. If Obie wanted a track with Nate and a single with Dre released it DEFINATELY should have been ''Look In My Eyes'' which was so much stronger and more catchy. I always thought of ''The Set Up'' as dull. Finally, he drops ''Don't Come Down'' which, while being one of the best songs on the album, has no commercial appeal whatsoever and hence no radio spins or TV appearances. All he needed was a ''Lady'' or an ''Oh!'' as a single and his sales would have more than likely sky-rocketed.

Its probably not Obie's fault for what was chosed to be released though - but whoever decided on the single material for ''Cheers'' should have been fired on the spot. Just frustrating to see a quality album like that go so relatively un-noticed by the public...
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 12:01:34 PM »
^^^ Totally agree with u , a very strong album that was ruined by bad single choices.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 02:37:28 PM »
yeah, a quite good album that was ruined by bad single choices IMO. I didn't even realize he made "Don't Come Down" a single, so....

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 03:07:38 PM »
fuckin idiot obie.. all he had to do was release Oh... now so many people never even heard the song... wat an idiot... would have deffinately boosted his sales.. his cd wasnt even bad... i think i definitely liked it more than bucks and banks

word. I NEVER heard "Oh" in a club...catchy ass hook, Busta on it, Dre beat, very danceable...why that wasn't released is beyond me

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 03:26:02 PM »
uh speakin of cheers, does anyone have the instrumental for Shit Hits the Fan ??

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »
what shocked me more than anything on obies album was how sick dre hooked him up..............oh was straight bangin, sick sick beat and when they didnt even release it as 1st single, which would have blew up big, i was thinkin why the fuck giv a sick beat like that to be wasted on a album like obies.......and then u got setup, which was a dope instrumental and nate ripped it but needed a westcat spittin on it.......and look in me eyes and shit hits the fan were kinda sick to still..........he should have kept a couple of them beats for some next albums cuz nuttin happened with them with obie.........