Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino vs. Kevin Smith  (Read 426 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Quentin Tarantino vs. Kevin Smith
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
If you wnat to get moved, go to fucking church.  A movie is a movie...and tarantino is good at it.  His style of filming MIGHT be overrated, but his writing is classic.

What the fuck are you talking about. A movie is supposed to tell a story with pictures and move the audience. I don't mean spiritually, but if you think that directors don't want to move their audience then you're wrong. As for writing, I watched the first kill bill and it was fight scene after fight scene. Hemmingway was a classic writer, I don't know about Tarantino.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »
If your having doubts on Tarantinos writing ability...just read the Reservoir Dogs screenplay.  Good storytellers dont mean they have to be able to move an audience. 

speaking of Kill Bill,  Tarantino choreographed all of the fights and hes not even a martial arts choregrapher!   

Sikotic™

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2004, 05:08:22 PM »
Scorscese never really had any moving movies either, but he's a great film maker.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2004, 06:20:52 PM »
If your having doubts on Tarantinos writing ability...just read the Reservoir Dogs screenplay.  Good storytellers dont mean they have to be able to move an audience. 

speaking of Kill Bill,  Tarantino choreographed all of the fights and hes not even a martial arts choregrapher!   

I don't want to imply that I think he is a bad writer, but a couple of great scripts doesn't make you one of the greats. He's no Shakespeare.

I don't know what your trying to imply by saying he choreographed the fight scenes.

And for Si-ko'tic; Scorscese has way more classics than Tarantino, and Raging Bull is very moving, and Taxi Driver is also up there.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004, 08:05:37 PM »
Scorcese has been making movies since the 70s!  Of course he is going to have more classics.  Name me a filmmaker thats non asian who has choregraphed martial arts.

Bruce Willis, Travolta, Samuel L Jackson, David Carradine have  all said that Tarantinos writing is just AMAZING writing. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004, 07:57:50 AM »
Scorcese has been making movies since the 70s!  Of course he is going to have more classics.  Name me a filmmaker thats non asian who has choregraphed martial arts.

Bruce Willis, Travolta, Samuel L Jackson, David Carradine have  all said that Tarantinos writing is just AMAZING writing. 

1.) With in his first 18 of feature film directing Scorsese had better movies than Tarantino, who's been directing since '87.

2.) Steven Segal choreographed and produced a lot of films.

3.) Why are you using the opinions of b-level actors to prove someone is a good writer? It would like me saying that Patrick Swayze called Ja Rule the gretest rapper of all time, or 50 Cent, Jay Z, and Big Boii all said Scarface was the greatest movie of all time, and trying to use that to ge a point across. It just doesn't work.. You should try to use relevent critics.

When Tarantino wins a pulizter I'll consider him a great writer. Writing a few movies does not make someone a great writer, comparatively speaking. I'm sure he's a very good writer, but would you put him on a top 100 writers list of all time? I wouldn't.

Sikotic™

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2004, 06:06:33 PM »

And for Si-ko'tic; Scorscese has way more classics than Tarantino, and Raging Bull is very moving, and Taxi Driver is also up there.

Yes, Raging Bull was moving. I dunno about Taxi Driver though, unless blowing off some guys hand off makes you shed a tear lol

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004, 08:14:13 PM »

Yes, Raging Bull was moving. I dunno about Taxi Driver though, unless blowing off some guys hand off makes you shed a tear lol

I was reffering more to the relationship between De Niro and the young prostitute played by Jodie Foster. It really touched me the way a physco like that saved her and allowed her to get her life back. It was portrayed quite well in my opinion.

Sikotic™

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2004, 08:36:04 PM »

I was reffering more to the relationship between De Niro and the young prostitute played by Jodie Foster. It really touched me the way a physco like that saved her and allowed her to get her life back. It was portrayed quite well in my opinion.

I feel ya.

You didn't find Harvey Keitel's loyalty to Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs moving? He  was determined to help a stranger that turned out to fuck him over in the end. I know I can relate to that.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2004, 08:43:33 PM »

I feel ya.

You didn't find Harvey Keitel's loyalty to Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs moving? He  was determined to help a stranger that turned out to fuck him over in the end. I know I can relate to that.

Well, I'll watch it again and judge, but from what I remember it wasn't as goood as the Scorsese stuff. I'll give it another shot though. Keep in mind, it's not about the plot itself but the way it was done on film. We're judging directing, not drama writing. A bad director can take the best script in the world and turn out a shitty movie, while a great director can take a terrible script and and create very watchable movie.

Sikotic™

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 09:20:24 PM »
It's nowhere near Scorscese, but I still consider it better than most directors out today.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 09:27:16 PM »
It's nowhere near Scorscese, but I still consider it better than most directors out today.

That's fine. My problem is how so many people claim that Quentin in a league of his own, above all other directors.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 06:20:44 AM »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 10:50:48 PM »

That's fine. My problem is how so many people claim that Quentin in a league of his own, above all other directors.

I agree with you to the fullest...

DAYUM

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 10:21:40 PM »
Quentin Tarantino

good director n shit but horrible actor