Author Topic: Can Wal Mart single handedly lower CD Prices?  (Read 339 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Can Wal Mart single handedly lower CD Prices?
« on: October 13, 2004, 10:07:33 AM »
Well if any one can it's the 250 Billion dollar a year giant. You gotta love those Waltons.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6558540/thekillers?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

According to this, Walmart wants every CD in their store to be under $10. They buy them for $12 and claim their willing to lose money on CDs in order to sell audio equipment, but I'm pretty sure they'll force the record companies to lower the cost price. If this goes through, then every other store will have to follow. Great news. $9.72 is not a lot to pay for a new CD. Leave it to Wal Mart to finally force those money grubbing record companies down a bit.

Throwback

Re: Can Wal Mart single handedly lower CD Prices?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
most new cds are between 18-21 euros here in holland.

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:46:47 AM »

well best buy u can get cd's some..4 8-9 bucks..i have seen some cd's priced 7.99 up at best buy..

walmart should.. it might make the competitors lower prices..kuz it will cut them out... when folks start hittin walmart up..for cheaper cd's..record companies aint got nuthin to do wit what walmart does wit the prices... kuz they are goin to get their money regardless of what the prices are..

the prices all depends on the store..and how much profits they make..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:35:17 AM »

well best buy u can get cd's some..4 8-9 bucks..i have seen some cd's priced 7.99 up at best buy..

walmart should.. it might make the competitors lower prices..kuz it will cut them out... when folks start hittin walmart up..for cheaper cd's..record companies aint got nuthin to do wit what walmart does wit the prices... kuz they are goin to get their money regardless of what the prices are..

the prices all depends on the store..and how much profits they make..

But Wal Mart is Notorious for making manufacturers and companies lower their prices. If Walmart goes under cost, then they won't stand to lose money for long, just because they said so. They will force the record companies to drop prices, just like they do everybody else.

eS El Duque

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 11:56:02 AM »
thats good...i hate paying 12 to 14 bucks a cd ;D

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »
i mite start buying SOME cds

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »
They really should. I only buy my favorite artists CDs now. I don't even fuck with newer cats like before.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »
The albums gotta be pretty dope for me to actually drop cash on it.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 06:00:12 PM »
I agree, i'd be much more likely to take a chance on a cd if it was $9 rather than $15.  I hope they do this. Peace

DAYUM

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 06:02:14 PM »
fuck walmart i remember i was so hyped to get Xzibits "Restless" and i bought it at walmart and it was Edited and i didnt know id brather go to Best Buy...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 06:03:12 PM »
fuck walmart i remember i was so hyped to get Xzibits "Restless" and i bought it at walmart and it was Edited and i didnt know id brather go to Best Buy...

Just read the cover. If the Parental Advisory sign isn't there then don't buy it.

DAYUM

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 06:05:46 PM »
i didnt know i wasent paying attention i was too hyped but when i put it on i was like WTF? i told myself i would never buy a walmart cd again and i never have 8)

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 06:13:27 PM »
Wal Mart can't single handedly lower CD prices because all they carry is the EDITED versions.  If they could stop being such faggots and sell the artists' intended works, maybe they could dominate the market and make CDs cheaper.  But true music fans don't fuck with Wal-Mart.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »
Wal Mart can't single handedly lower CD prices because all they carry is the EDITED versions.  If they could stop being such faggots and sell the artists' intended works, maybe they could dominate the market and make CDs cheaper.  But true music fans don't fuck with Wal-Mart.

Why don't you check the bilboard and figure out how many Cds are on there that need to be edited. I counted that less than 20 albums out of 100, carry the Parental Advisory Sign. And if you look at the history of record sales, I don't think any album with explicit lyrics in in the top 25 albums sold. The market for explicit lyrics isn't as big as you claim. True music fans according to you, don't fuck with Wal Mart, but those "true" music fans you speak of probably don't buy albums, any way. They download or buy bootleg. The bottom line is that Wal Mart is such a big part of the consumer market that it has the power to force whole sale prices down.

Besides, I don't what Wal Mart you guys go to, but hte one by my house selld plenty of non edited music, but they have huge Parental advisory stickers over the platsic. Sometimes so big you mcan barely see the album cover. It just doesn't sell Eminem's solo albums. So Eminem may be the one guy who won't have to lower his price, because Wal Mart won't carry his music. What's really odd is they don't have Eminem, but they have a whole bunch of Manson. It can be argued that Wal Mart doesn't make a difference to sales, since Em is the highest selling artist in the past few years, and he isn't at Wal Mart, so I'm not sure how it'll go down. We'll see as it plays out.

Kain (Lord Geezus)

• Banned
  • Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 07:28:07 PM »
Nero has a good price on cd's.