Author Topic: Since we see the Game's success, and we "know" he's not the best...  (Read 822 times)

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
Re: Since we see the Game's success, and we "know" he's not the best...
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 04:23:15 PM »
someone brought up a good point with Hittman

he was from CA and he was signed with Dre. how come Dre didn't follow through and make him a superstar? it takes more than just association. and Dre needs the right type of artist to mold into a superstar, so he saw the potential in game and ran  through with it.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 04:34:08 PM »

he was from CA and he was signed with Dre. how come Dre didn't follow through and make him a superstar? it takes more than just association. and Dre needs the right type of artist to mold into a superstar, so he saw the potential in game and ran  through with it.

yup pretty much how i feel
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Acgrundy

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 04:50:07 PM »
I don't think "any" artist could do the same as him, but many westcoast artists have more skill than game, but like I've said a million times before, its not about skill, its about appeal.  I think Roscoe is a perfect example of a rapper that would be in the same position as Game, if he had the right backing.  Philiphornia shoulda blown up huge, it had it all.  Maybe a lil too laid back for the mainstream, but still I think he coulda gone platinum if that record was promoted right.

I just don't think rappers like crooked I or sly boogy have the appeal to really blow up.  Sure real rap heads have mad respect for both these artists, but lets face it, what percentage of music buyers are real rap heads?  10%, 15% at the most.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 04:52:11 PM »
Crooked I, Sly Boogy, Ras Kass, Scipio, Trensetta, Planet Asia, Balance, Locksmith, Sick Jacken, Casual, Xzibit, Tash, Defari and plenty more are MUCH better lyrically than Game.

Bottom line, when Game was with Get Low, NOBODY, I'm sure including yourself, gave one fuck about him. The moment he got the Interscope machine behind him, a 50 Cent hook (which is damn near like a Nate Dogg hook nowadays) and a Dre beat, people hopped on the bandwagon. ANYONE in Game's posistion would've blown up, period.

You are very interesting. First up, as I said, we all know that there are better LYRICISTS, but does that mean they woulda automatically blown up because of that?

Don't even say anything dumb like that about Game bein with Get Low...for one, I couldn't give a fuck about him, because I didn't know who he was!!! And bein very very honest, most of his older material wasn't anywhere near the level of his newer stuff. I bought "Untold story" and if he had rapped the same way on this album, I wouldn't even like him all that much because he just wasn't as good, period. I didn't really start feelin his shit in a real way til about a year and some ago. So just because he's with Interscope and all doesn't mean that EVERYBODY hopped on his bandwagon and liked him. Some people do that, but definitely not me.

And with everybody you mentioned, only a few of them really would blow up THIS big if they were in this position. Lookin at it as far as image, diversity and bein able to spit on different kinds of tracks, and just personality, most of them are nowhere close to Game. So let's remember that even if it shouldn't be about image and all, it definitely is. Lyrics definitely don't mean everything.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 05:13:59 PM »
there's a lot of rappers in the west i like a lot more than game and quite a few albums that where better(yukmouth's godzilla is waaaay better)...it goes to show you only Dre can resurrect the west

Mr. Humonculous

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 05:40:04 PM »

Thats because they put Game in G-Unit. 50 promoted Game more than Dre did everyone started listening to him when he became a member of G-Unit not many people were listening to him back when he was just signed to Aftermath doing songs with Joey Beast

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »
well i dont think they coulda put anyone in G-unit

they needed/wanted a cali-gangbanger image to fit the niche, and it seems like game fit that the best

xover

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2005, 05:32:16 AM »
I don't think "any" artist could do the same as him, but many westcoast artists have more skill than game, but like I've said a million times before, its not about skill, its about appeal.  I think Roscoe is a perfect example of a rapper that would be in the same position as Game, if he had the right backing.  Philiphornia shoulda blown up huge, it had it all.  Maybe a lil too laid back for the mainstream, but still I think he coulda gone platinum if that record was promoted right.

I just don't think rappers like crooked I or sly boogy have the appeal to really blow up.  Sure real rap heads have mad respect for both these artists, but lets face it, what percentage of music buyers are real rap heads?  10%, 15% at the most.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2005, 07:04:13 AM »
Sayin that, I don't think there are too many rappers who are actually from Cpt or South Central who could become this successful at this point in time.

Well, a lot of you will probably disagree with me on this one (because IV Life still hasn't released an album), but I think that IV Life Records could be a major player in the Hip-Hop industry.

First of all, apparently these guys have a huge reputation in the streets (they started off with the Mafia IV Life Car Club in South Central). So they got the street-credibility thing definitely on lock...
Secondly, they got some big connections: they've made songs with Snoop, Ice Cube...they also have a good relationship with the radiostations in LA (I heard that The Beat promotes IV Life [especially Steve Harvey] and Power 106 too.
And thirdly, they're not just good at making good West Coast Hip-Hop, they've proven they're capable of making "chart-singles" with that commercial sound to it. Which is also important if you wanna blow up...

Well anyway...I said that just to prove that it is possible to blow up in the industry, but you can't do it yourself apparently. You always have to be connected to some major players in the game...

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2005, 11:24:04 AM »
Sayin that, I don't think there are too many rappers who are actually from Cpt or South Central who could become this successful at this point in time.

Well, a lot of you will probably disagree with me on this one (because IV Life still hasn't released an album), but I think that IV Life Records could be a major player in the Hip-Hop industry.

First of all, apparently these guys have a huge reputation in the streets (they started off with the Mafia IV Life Car Club in South Central). So they got the street-credibility thing definitely on lock...
Secondly, they got some big connections: they've made songs with Snoop, Ice Cube...they also have a good relationship with the radiostations in LA (I heard that The Beat promotes IV Life [especially Steve Harvey] and Power 106 too.
And thirdly, they're not just good at making good West Coast Hip-Hop, they've proven they're capable of making "chart-singles" with that commercial sound to it. Which is also important if you wanna blow up...

Well anyway...I said that just to prove that it is possible to blow up in the industry, but you can't do it yourself apparently. You always have to be connected to some major players in the game...

I feel that artists like them definitely need somebody like Game to break through for the west, because they are the type of rappers that most heads who typically don't like west coast music aren't gonna like, because they sound "too" west coast. That's definitely not takin anything away from them, because many people, including me, love the west coast flow and delivery better than any other. But generally, most people other than us don't feel these kind of rappers if it's not somebody with a big name already.

Like most know, I am in school in Florida, so I have a great idea of what people in other regions think of us and all. I'll say that I am still in shock that damn near EVERYBODY on my campus of 13,500 90% black college students know about Game and most are feelin him. I was in shock when I saw it sold out in Best Buy. Why was I shocked? Yeah I know the Iovine hype machine was in place, but I have been here three years, and they might as well name me "Mr West Coast" because that's what most people around here see me as. I was always the one tellin em about the 100s of dope rappers the west has, and that the ONLY reason we weren't in the spotlight was that nobody would give us a chance to shine. Some people would feel Crooked I, Roscoe, Sly and a few others, but in general, they didn't like anything that sounded 100% west coast like Quik, Suga Free, etc. etc. But since Game, you have no idea how many of them are sayin "The west is back" and that they will actually give west coast rap a chance now. I just want to see if they are gonna hold on to their word.

SGV

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2005, 10:09:28 AM »

You are very interesting. First up, as I said, we all know that there are better LYRICISTS, but does that mean they woulda automatically blown up because of that?

Don't even say anything dumb like that about Game bein with Get Low...for one, I couldn't give a fuck about him, because I didn't know who he was!!! And bein very very honest, most of his older material wasn't anywhere near the level of his newer stuff. I bought "Untold story" and if he had rapped the same way on this album, I wouldn't even like him all that much because he just wasn't as good, period. I didn't really start feelin his shit in a real way til about a year and some ago. So just because he's with Interscope and all doesn't mean that EVERYBODY hopped on his bandwagon and liked him. Some people do that, but definitely not me.

And with everybody you mentioned, only a few of them really would blow up THIS big if they were in this position. Lookin at it as far as image, diversity and bein able to spit on different kinds of tracks, and just personality, most of them are nowhere close to Game. So let's remember that even if it shouldn't be about image and all, it definitely is. Lyrics definitely don't mean everything.

You said:

"Personally, I think we all must admit that Game brought heat lyrically, and that he was not just an average rapper on dope ass beats. On the real, I don't think it is too many others that could have actually done as well on every single beat that he was on. Other than Crooked I, I don't think there are too many other west coasters that could rip every beat on there, because the production was very diverse. "

All those emcees I listed could rip any beat Game busted on. I never said they could blow up like him, don't try to read between the lines when there's nothing there.

And, I love how all Game supporters dismiss his Get Low years. "I didn't know him, I didn't give a fuck about him!" That just proves Interscope made him. Game was spitting the same shit on Get Low, that he does now. Only thing different is production. But, as far as emceeing, Game is NO different. Which, to me, PROVES ya'll only care about him through his affiliation.

Let's remember, without Dre, you wouldn't care about Game. Without 50, you wouldn't care about Game. Without Interscope, you wouldn't care about Game. So to me, you're bandwagoner.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2005, 11:00:07 AM »
^true. same can be said for all the g-unit roster tho
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2005, 02:07:24 PM »
Bottom line, when Game was with Get Low, NOBODY, I'm sure including yourself, gave one fuck about him. The moment he got the Interscope machine behind him, a 50 Cent hook (which is damn near like a Nate Dogg hook nowadays) and a Dre beat, people hopped on the bandwagon. ANYONE in Game's posistion would've blown up, period.

Agreed.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2005, 02:24:10 PM »
well i dont think they coulda put anyone in G-unit

they needed/wanted a cali-gangbanger image to fit the niche, and it seems like game fit that the best

Not only that, he has the east coast flow so it was pretty much a no brainer type decision.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2005, 06:00:26 PM »
And, I love how all Game supporters dismiss his Get Low years. "I didn't know him, I didn't give a fuck about him!" That just proves Interscope made him. Game was spitting the same shit on Get Low, that he does now. Only thing different is production. But, as far as emceeing, Game is NO different. Which, to me, PROVES ya'll only care about him through his affiliation.

Let's remember, without Dre, you wouldn't care about Game. Without 50, you wouldn't care about Game. Without Interscope, you wouldn't care about Game. So to me, you're bandwagoner.

Definitely NOT the case. For one, I work with BWS so that partially eliminates any chance of me being a bandwagoner. Second of all, I donno about your taste, but me and most people I know definitely agree and realize he was NOT as good of a rapper back then, regardless. Yes, he was talkin about some of the same things, but his punchlines weren't as clever, his flow wasn't nearly as good or versatile, and he just wasn't as good overall. I tell everybody, Game was just a decent rapper to me until last year when I started hearin him really SPIT on some mixtape tracks and remixes. When I posted his mixtape up in Summer 2003, I was like iite he's coo, nothin special at all but he's cool. Now, I see him as bein a real good rapper, even though he may have repetitive subject matter and techniques.

When did he EVER flow like he did on the "Drop it like its hot" beat, the New Edition remix to "Hot tonite", or "Higher" or even "Westside story" back durin Get Low? First of all, I didn't even know who he was back then, and I didn't even hear of him til early 2003 when I heard he signed with Dre, and that never makes me really anxious to hear somebody because that doesn't mean shit because he usually never releases artists from the west or anywhere. I heard some track online around that time, and I don't think I was feelin it. The very first time I heard him was when somebody from BWS personally gave somebody I was workin with a copy of his mixtape that nobody else had. I played it and that's when I was sayin he was just a decent rapper, but he's got a lot better since then.

So how can you say I'm a dickrider or bandwagoner when I didn't even know who he was back with Get Low? I didn't hear anything he did with them til I bought Untold story, and I wasn't feelin it much because he has changed his style and improved so much since then.

Overall...I can see why you may get mad or try to point out people who dickride whatever is hot, but you are pointin ya gun at the wrong direction. I'm R-Tistic homie, not one of the couple G-Unit Aftermath groupies that you may see about. If I was one, I would never be able to respond in depth to every single post you spit at me on topics like this.