Author Topic: Teammate: McNabb so ill he couldn't call play  (Read 90 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Teammate: McNabb so ill he couldn't call play
« on: February 09, 2005, 07:44:30 AM »
Tuesday, February 8, 2005
Teammate: McNabb so ill he couldn't call play

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb was so ill in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl that a Philadelphia Eagles teammate called one play in the huddle, center Hank Fraley told a TV station.

"He fought to the end. He gave it his all," Fraley said on Comcast SportsNet in a show aired Monday night. "He could hardly call the plays -- that's how exhausted he was trying to give it his all. If you remember back when we played Jacksonville two years ago and he ended up puking, it was close to that scene. He exhausted everything he had."

Eagles spokesman Derek Boyko said Tuesday that McNabb wasn't injured during Philadelphia's 24-21 loss to the New England Patriots. However, McNabb might have been feeling sick -- he fought a cold earlier in the week.

McNabb was shaky at times in Sunday's game. He passed for 357 yards and three touchdowns, but he also threw three interceptions.

The quarterback misfired on several passes early, held the ball too long at other times, and made several poor decisions. One of the best scramblers in the NFL, McNabb had zero yards rushing on just one carry and was sacked four times.

He struggled in particular in the fourth quarter, getting picked off twice and looking slow in getting the team moving late.

"He didn't get a play call in one time," Fraley said. "He mumbled and (receiver) Freddie Mitchell yelled out the play we were trying to bring in. He was puking at the same time, trying to hold it in."

Mitchell said on Tuesday that McNabb was having complications and "couldn't get it out so I just had to finish the play up."

"It was my first time being the quarterback in the NFL," Mitchell said on a local television station. "It was hard. He kind of tried to get the hand signals to the team, but I knew what he was thinking. I just finished the play up."

McNabb left Tuesday for Hawaii, where he will start for the NFC in Sunday's Pro Bowl. His agent did not immediately return a phone call Tuesday.

The QB had the best season of his six-year NFL career, leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1981 after three straight losses in the NFC championship game.

McNabb set a team record with 3,875 yards passing and became the first NFL player to throw for more than 30 touchdowns (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (eight). His passer rating of 104.7 ranked second in the NFC.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Teammate: McNabb so ill he couldn't call play
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:44:48 AM »
bullshit, and no excuse, ....

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:52:08 AM »
I think it shows he can't deal with pressure. He was down with minutes to go and he didn't want to lose. It must've gotten to him. This is what separates the good from the great.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »
he wasnt ill when he threw that red zone interception. I can respect him if he gave it his all, but to throw down an excuse like that is such bs