Author Topic: Any Dan Brown "fans" in here?  (Read 232 times)

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
Any Dan Brown "fans" in here?
« on: July 26, 2005, 04:46:04 AM »
I had to read his book "Angels & Demons" at university a few months ago and I have to admit, I've never been the type of person to pick up a book, but since I read that book, all that has changed.
Dan Brown basically writes as if it's a movie, with the only difference that it's probably even better than if it would be a movie. He's really good at describing an environment & things like that. You get the feeling you're in the place yourself, which is something I've never really experienced with the (few) books I've read in my life.

Since I study History, it was also interesting to read that book because he shares a lot of knowledge in it about architecture and stuff like that. That's what I like about Dan Brown: he doesn't just start writing a book. The man really does some thorough research before writing his books.

I've just finished "Digital Fortress" by him as well, and I liked that one too (although I preferred Angels & Demons a lot more). So right now I have yet to read his most popular one "The Da Vinci Code" and also "Deception Point" (which isn't translated yet into Dutch...only the English version).
I used to dislike reading a book, but ever since I read "Angels & Demons" I have a lot more interest now in literature in general. The art of writing is something I never really bothered checking into, but now I pay a lot more attention to it...thanks to Dan Brown I guess 8)

By the way, I've just picked up "Drama City" by George Pelecanos (one person of the "dream-team" who writes the script for The Wire), so yeah...the books have gotten to me ;)

Diabolical

Re: Any Dan Brown "fans" in here?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:11:42 AM »
I havent read any of his books, i guess i would have if i had a job and was able to buy them more often.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 01:56:49 AM »
^^^^Yeah I know...in fact, I always refused to even buy books. I just went to the library and rent a few books, that's all. But I'm telling you, ever since I read Dan Brown's books I'm totally changed :)

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »
u know its fiction though right? the da vinci code isnt real...

he just makes up stories around stuff that exists

if u like that kind of stuff i suggest you pick up Fingerprints Of The Gods by Graham Hancock which is based upon fact.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 02:03:32 AM by Overseer »

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 02:11:07 AM »
^^^^Thanks for the tip, I'll look into to that.
Well in fact his genre is "fact/fiction" so that's why there's so much controversy surrounding the story of The Da Vinci Code. The  Catholic Church claims that some people will believe everything he writes in his book and thus have a misconception about what Jesus did in his life & other dumb shit like that.

He does write things that are true though. Explanations about architects, famous buildings, paintings, etc...It's really interesting, especially for me since I study History.
For instance, in his book "Digital Fortress" he explains where the term "computer bug" came from. It's not really world-shocking interesting facts, but it's cool to know these little things...

And he explains it in such a way that it doesn't come across as boasting about his intelligence (he used to be a teacher at Boston University I believe before he started writing), which is great to me.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:15 AM »
One day I didnt want to go to school I went to a big book store and read a little into "Illuminati". It's written in the kind of way that makes you not wanting to stop reading until it's finished, real page-turner. Maybe I get some books this summer since Im on vacation now.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Croyd

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 07:53:35 AM »
I've read Da Vinci Code and Digital Fortress. I really didn't like Digital Fortress....I found it very predictable. Da Vinci Code was interesting but I think that's because of the subject of the book. 

-Croyd

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 08:15:31 AM »
About the da vinci code. Either you choose to believe in it or not, and the book is based upon FACT. There really is a order of the Sion and many other facts. About the whole Maria Magdalena being the holy grail (the one`s who have read the book or knows info about this), either you choose to believe in it or you choose to believe what the bibel says

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 08:27:53 AM »
I saw a TV programme about the Da Vinci Code and it pretty much exposed that a lot of the stuff in it was made up.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 08:33:57 AM »
Yes, and what else is new?
Like I said, it's known that not everything he writes is true. Just the way he writes is pretty damn tight I think.

J Bananas

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 12:15:35 PM »
I got the dvd Behind Angels and Demons, talks about Illuminati and Hashishins and all that. Good shit.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 03:46:33 AM »
I got the dvd Behind Angels and Demons, talks about Illuminati and Hashishins and all that. Good shit.

Is that an official release by Dan Brown? I've never heard of it...

Diabolical

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »
I saw a TV programme about the Da Vinci Code and it pretty much exposed that a lot of the stuff in it was made up.

I saw that too.

As much as people say Dan Brown is not true, who here can say the bible is true and have a good reason not just the fact you want to believe in it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 08:42:40 AM »

I saw that too.

As much as people say Dan Brown is not true, who here can say the bible is true and have a good reason not just the fact you want to believe in it.

Doesn't Dan Brown admit he writes fiction?

Don Seer

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 01:06:41 AM »
About the da vinci code. Either you choose to believe in it or not, and the book is based upon FACT. There really is a order of the Sion and many other facts. About the whole Maria Magdalena being the holy grail (the one`s who have read the book or knows info about this), either you choose to believe in it or you choose to believe what the bibel says

no.. there really ISNT an order of sion... the order of sion was a hoax... and dan brown incorporated that into his book.

the wiki page for the sion hoax > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priory_of_Zion

an article called "the da vinci hoax"

http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com/dvhoax.htm

i guess the catholics were right.. suckas will believe anything they read!