Author Topic: 25 Greatest MC's of all time... sorry I've been away  (Read 249 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
25 Greatest MC's of all time... sorry I've been away
« on: August 14, 2005, 08:18:45 PM »
I have been hella busy. So on Wednesday, I will just do 1-25 in one thread, and trust me, you can't hate. Well anyways, this is a recap of 25-17. I had 2 people listed as 15, so I had to take out someone in the 20's, so here is a quick recap.

This is the list of the greatest rappers, emcees, hip-hop musicans, whatever title. Here is 25-21.

25. Common

Strongest album: Resurrection

Those who are in the underground long enough are forgotten, and are never talked of in the greatest of all times list. Then there are some who just make great record after great record, and make their spot amoung the best, even if the mainstream is sleeping. Common is that rapper, that no matter who is listening, he speaks his mind, and refuses to let his talent become a label waste. Common, with his spoken word flow, voice hits hard when he is making a point, and his love for black women make his a rapper that can be label "conscience." Common's interest in Hip-Hop though, have been questioned from time to time. His effort in Electric Circus caused some of his friends to think he was falling off. But in the end, he joined up with Kanye West, and produced what maybe his best album ever, BE, and solidified himself as a top 25 rapper releasing his 2nd classic album of his career.

24. Run

Strongest album: Run DMC

Run DMC is without a doubt, the reason many Hip-Hop acts are even one MTV. They were the first group popular on MTV, and their hit single with Aerosmith lead the way for many other Rock/Rap duets. Run and DMC had unque chemistry on the mic, as they perfected the tag team technique, trading off lyrics well telling a story. One of the very few to use tag team rhyming, and actually make sense, both Run and DMC showed that they were MC's to be respected. No one in the rap game ever questions what the name Run DMC means to Hip-Hop, and they may have more respect from other artist than any other rapper out their. Run DMC may not be on many list, because they are hard to rank, but to be honest, their tag team style, and their chemistry pulling it off when many can't, shows that they deserve to be put on any list, and their influence, and the respect from their peers which is how many MC's are rank, is a strong argument that they may be the most underrated MC's of all time in terms of people ranking them as MC's.

23. M.C. Ren

Strongest album: Efil4zaggin, Shock of the Hour solo

When Ice Cube left N.W.A., many felt that the group was over. Little did they know Eazy E had one more trick up his sleeve. In came the Villian in Black to save the day. A rougher west coast gangsta flow, with east coast lyrical skills, MC Ren controlled the mic, and was the star of the album Efil4zaggin. Since, he released many solid underground CDs, and his presents on the mic, though unheard by the general public, showed way he was the man that put N.W.A. on his back lyrically speaking, and was able to keep the group aflout. Since, Ren has kept his skills up, and is even starting to break in some underground rappers. A rumor about a N.W.A. reunion had many people excited that Ren would be back in the spotlight, but when things feel apart, Ren took it in stride, instead working with other westcoast legends like Paris. Ren is a legend in the game, someone who help create one of the greatest rap groups ever. And in the end, Ren will be remembered as the rapper who filled Ice Cubes big shoes.

22.Big Pun

Who is the first Latin Rapper to come home with a platnum plaque. Big Pun. One of the hardest, realest rappers to come out, Big Pun was everyone's hope to be the next Biggie. He maybe a big man, but his delievery could be clocked in the 40 yard dash next to Deion Sanders in terms of speed when he tried, and as one of the most lyrically gifted latin rappers ever, Big Pun had a huge Latino base of fans. Many mourned the lose of one of the best rappers out there. The Punisher's presents in the game was one of the strongest to be felt. He was able to put out a record that had the rare double appeal, as both the streets and the pop charts where loving it. Still Not a Playa was a very small taste of the talent Pun showed, but it was enough to show he was the MC that could make the commerical world buy a record that was for the streets. Few MC's were as good, few MC's were as real or Raw, and we didn't even get to see the best Big Pun had to offer.

21. Lauryn Hill

Strongest album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Face facts, some of the greatest emcees of all time are women. And the greatest woman emcee ever is Lauryn Hill. No Hip-Hop artist has as many grammies off one CD, no female artist can switch so naturally from rap lyrics to soulful singing, outside of Mr. Tupac Shakur, there is no one in rap music you can call a complete artist that's better than Ms. Hill. Her place is Hip-Hop history was solidified with her solo release, but it was her work with the Fugees that put her in that position. She ripped the mic in one of rap's greatest groups of all time, and she was the main reason for the groups commercial success. Even before the radio play, Lauryn Hill had the game on lock, well the Fugees were proving how great of a group they were. No female can touch her, and no can really say they are a better all around artist.

20. Andre 3000

Strongest album: The Love Below

Ok, so this was by far the hardest man to rank. Why, simple, his so different, and the impact he and Big Boi had on rap is hard to judge. But the bottom line is that no one can denie his place. 3000 is on a world by himself, and that makes it very hard to judge where he ranks. But with Outkast albums llike Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and Aquemini, to solidify his efforts with The Love Below, Andre is a proven emcee. The rap skills he displayed as a member of Outkast proved that he was to be seen as one of the greatest, and only 2nd to Scarface in the south. Now that he seems bored with rap, we are finally just beginning to see Andre at his fullest potential as a complete artist. His artist wings could possible spread beyond that of a 2Pac or Lauryn Hill, as Love Below proved that. Only time will tell.

19. Eminen

Strongest album: The Eminem Show (though some heads say Infinite)

You can't denie the white boy can rap. You also can front that he has skills. As leader of the D-12 crew, Eminem has tranform rap into a place that's even safe for white boys. A constent threat in a battle, Eminen is a true emcee, with the content and the commercial sense to know who to make a White America stand up and scream in horror. As he enters young American's head phones, Eminem makes sure most of his lyrics leave a make into his home country's conscience. The Blond Bomber, or Great White Hope is ready to surpass 'Pac is record sales, so it's just a matter of time, I say 3 years, that people claim Mr. Mathers as the greatest rap artist of all time.

18. Chuck D

Strongest album: It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back

Whoever hates on this ranking did not live in the late 80's, or never heard of Hip-Hop then. Chuck D and Public Enemy dominated the rap world in the late 80's. With N.W.A. in the west, Public Enemy in the east, America had no clue to react. It is because of Public Enemy that America decided to try and end rap music, their lyrics set the chain reaction for protest, and people were praying for their downfall. Many great political rappers of today all look to Public Enemy as their base, groups like Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, and others all see Chuck D as the man that started what they are continuing. Chuck D, with his booming voice, used rap to make his message public, and started a movement. Using the powers of being a Mic Controller to his fullest potential, Chuck D had all minority America screaming Fight the Power.

17. Kurtis Blow

Strongest album: Kurtis Blow

The first commerically successful rap artist, Kurtis Blow was the trailblazer for Run DMC and The Furious Five. Kurtis Blow was able to take an art form that people thought was just a fad with the Sugar Hill Gang, and show people that Hip-Hop was here to stay. His skills were also very shape, especially considering this is the pre-Rakim era. The poverty-themed Hard Times off Kurtis Blow marked perhaps the first instance of hip-hop's social consciousness. Kurtis Blow's skills as an emcee never faded, though once Run-DMC changed the way commerical rap sounded, (ironic since Run served as Kurtis Blow's DJ) Kurtis Blow faded out of popularity. But always promoting the old school, rap can always trace it's roots, at least commerically, to one of the illest rhymesayers of all time.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Re: 25 Greatest MC's of all time... sorry I've been away
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 08:42:38 PM »
"The Blond Bomber, or Great White Hope is ready to surpass 'Pac is record sales, so it's just a matter of time, I say 3 years, that people claim Mr. Mathers as the greatest rap artist of all time."

Eminem - 25 million

2Pac - 42 million

I would say that Eminem isnt anywhere near close to surpassing Pac in record sales. And if he keeps releasing albums like Encore, not only will he never catch Pac, but other rappers will pass him up real quickly. I dont think he could ever be considered anywhere near GOAT, as he hasnt released a true classic album yet.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 08:44:21 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

G funker

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:24:44 AM »
No Pac will always be 1, andshady 2 cauze now a day the records R more on the nternet than ever in 5 minutes you got an album free.

NICE LIST

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 01:53:56 AM »
"The Blond Bomber, or Great White Hope is ready to surpass 'Pac is record sales, so it's just a matter of time, I say 3 years, that people claim Mr. Mathers as the greatest rap artist of all time."

Eminem - 25 million

2Pac - 42 million

I would say that Eminem isnt anywhere near close to surpassing Pac in record sales. And if he keeps releasing albums like Encore, not only will he never catch Pac, but other rappers will pass him up real quickly. I dont think he could ever be considered anywhere near GOAT, as he hasnt released a true classic album yet.

Real Talk!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 05:01:14 AM »
Em has sold way more than 25 million records. Plus, Pac is only that high cause he got like a million double CDs.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 05:16:08 AM »
^^ yup, count an AEOM copy once instead of twice and think about what the internet meant 91-96 as opposed to 98-05 and you got Eminem coming quite close to Pac actually...esp if Em releases two more albums, or even just one (Encore was shitty, but weren´t sales quite good? I honestly dunno tho)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 06:35:05 AM »
2Pac - 2Pacalypse Now - 500K
2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. - 1 mill.
2Pac - Me Against the World - 2 mill.
2Pac - All Eyez on Me - 5 mill.
2Pac - The 7 Day Theory - 4 mill.
2Pac - R U Still Down - 4 mill.
2Pac - Greatest hits - 5 mill.
2Pac - Until the end of time - 2 mill.
2Pac - Betta Dayz - 2 mill.
2Pac - Loyal 2 The Game - 1 mill.

= 26.5 million copies

Eminem - Slim Shady LP - 4 mill.
Eminem - Marshal Mathers LP - 9 mill.
Eminem - The Eminem Show - 8 mill.
Eminem - Encore - 4 mill.

= 25 million copies

And I was rounding up for 2Pac.

Now let's not ruin this thread by making it a 2Pac vs. Eminem sales argument.  Eminem is obviously the better seller.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »
Em has sold way more than 25 million records. Plus, Pac is only that high cause he got like a million double CDs.

SSLP - 3-4 million
MMLP - 8-9 million
TES - 8 million
Encore - 4 million

thats roughly 25 million sold. Encore only sold half as much as his previous two albums, and his popularity is fading very quickly. Most people realized how sucky Encore was, and his next album will be lucky if it puts up the same numbers as Encore did. His 15 minutes are up.

And double albums or not is irrelevent. Pac sold more and will be listed as the higher selling artist by any professional source, whether it be the RIAA or Billboard. End of story.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:49:02 PM by ImmortalOne »

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 12:42:39 PM »
  Eminem is obviously the better seller.

Not according to every professional source that keeps track of record sales.

According to RIAA, Eminem is at 25 million, Pac is at 36.5 million (and that doesnt include the Makaveli album).

Pac sold more then Eminem. Close thread.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:45:54 PM by ImmortalOne »

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 06:05:19 PM »
Wait up, who gives a damn about who outsells who? It could be 10 year old white girls buying eminems records so even if he does sell more it doesn`t mean shiet

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 02:32:18 AM »
Much love and respect to Christopher Rios but B-Real & Sen Dog were actually the first Latin rappers to bring home a platinum plaque.

Black Uhuru

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Rasta Still De bout
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 05:16:54 AM »
Wait up, who gives a damn about who outsells who? It could be 10 year old white girls buying eminems records so even if he does sell more it doesn`t mean shiet

Real talk

G funker

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 05:24:03 AM »
Emiem got 2 D-12 cds too and they onlym sold much becauze of em.But Pac is much better.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 05:35:39 AM »
Sales
Em > Pac

RAP
Pac > Em

but overall pac is head over heels > em

Diabolical

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:32:04 AM »
Em is a better MC than Pac.
Pac is a better artist overall.

There is alot better women MCs than Lauren too, she sings half the time anyway, thats not being an MC.