Author Topic: The best voices in rock music  (Read 359 times)

Don Breezio

The best voices in rock music
« on: August 21, 2005, 09:48:44 PM »
So....out of the thousands of bands over the last....we'll say 20 years....who would you say are the best voices of rock music?

I would say (in no particular order):

Gavin Rossdale (Bush)
Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
Claudio Sanchez (Coheed & Cambria)
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Michael Stipe (R.E.M.)
Billy Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)
Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie)
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana)
Johnny Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls)
Brandon Boyd (Incubus)
Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Thom York (Radiohead)

Add on to this list!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: The best voices in rock music
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 09:52:21 PM »
I don't know much about the last 20 years. The best rock singers are Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant in my opinion.

I guess my favourite to come it in the last while would be Matt Good. Maybe he's nothing special at all, I don't know. I love his voice and his lyrics.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 09:53:49 PM »
Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden)
James Hetfield(Metallica)
Brian Johnson(AC/DC)

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »
Bon Scott > Brian Johnson

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, not as good in Audioslave)
Michael Hutchence (INXS)

+some others already mentioned
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 10:05:10 PM »
umm im not a rock fan but can i ask u guys something, shouldn't the lead singers fom Maroon 5 and Linkin Park be in the list? The Maroon 5 guy came pretty good with kanye in one song on kanye's album and Linkin Park came good with Hov in the remixes they did

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:09:59 PM »
Bon Scott > Brian Johnson

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, not as good in Audioslave)
Michael Hutchence (INXS)

+some others already mentioned

I prefer Scott but he said past 20 years and Scott died in 1980

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »
umm im not a rock fan but can i ask u guys something, shouldn't the lead singers fom Maroon 5 and Linkin Park be in the list? The Maroon 5 guy came pretty good with kanye in one song on kanye's album and Linkin Park came good with Hov in the remixes they did

I put chester bennington of linkin park in the list.....and no...i don't consider adam levine to be a rock singer....he has a great voice but i would categorize him more under a pop or maybe even an R&B category

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 10:18:23 PM »
Maynard James Keenan (Tool)
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Freddie Mercury (queen)
Serj Tankian (system of a down)
Billy Corgan ( pumpkins, futureEmbrace)
Layne Staley (Alice in chains)

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »

I prefer Scott but he said past 20 years and Scott died in 1980

Oh true i overlooked the 20yrs part
"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

mauzip

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »
Freddie Mercury was/is the greatest.

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »
Best voices in Rock are the ones who know how to sing melodies as well as your typical yelling rock bullshit.  The guys that sing all angst-y and shit are disgusting, I can't listen to it.

Best voice period in Rock is probably Chris Cornell from Soundgarden/Audioslave.  Some of his stuff even sounds like old 20's or 30's music or something, amazing voice.

I like Liam Gallagher's voice because it has so much character in it.

I like Scott Weiland's voice similarly.

Kurt Cobain had a great voice, even his stuff like Heart Shaped Box that's kind of whiny sounded great and sincere, it didn't sound like manufactured emotion like most of your bands that are out now.

Layne Staley was great.  

Chris Martin from Coldplay is certainly a great singer, even though I really can't get into their style too much, and I don't really like him as a person (or, as the person he's presented as on television, I don't know him).  He does have a good voice, though.

Those are the only ones I would say have a good or "best" voice in Rock.  Lots of others are decent but nothing special, just typical.  There is absolutely no-one on the creative level Robert Plantt was on, as far as just being DIFFERENT... listen to "Over the Hills and Far Away".  "Manyyyy times I've Loved!!!!!" shit like that nobody can duplicate anymore.  His voice was top notch, so beautiful and still Rock at the same time.  

AndrE16686

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 11:06:46 PM »
The singer from Guns and Roses

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 11:12:50 PM »
Best voices in Rock are the ones who know how to sing melodies as well as your typical yelling rock bullshit.  The guys that sing all angst-y and shit are disgusting, I can't listen to it.

Best voice period in Rock is probably Chris Cornell from Soundgarden/Audioslave.  Some of his stuff even sounds like old 20's or 30's music or something, amazing voice.

I like Liam Gallagher's voice because it has so much character in it.

I like Scott Weiland's voice similarly.

Kurt Cobain had a great voice, even his stuff like Heart Shaped Box that's kind of whiny sounded great and sincere, it didn't sound like manufactured emotion like most of your bands that are out now.

Layne Staley was great. 

Chris Martin from Coldplay is certainly a great singer, even though I really can't get into their style too much, and I don't really like him as a person (or, as the person he's presented as on television, I don't know him).  He does have a good voice, though.

Those are the only ones I would say have a good or "best" voice in Rock.  Lots of others are decent but nothing special, just typical.  There is absolutely no-one on the creative level Robert Plantt was on, as far as just being DIFFERENT... listen to "Over the Hills and Far Away".  "Manyyyy times I've Loved!!!!!" shit like that nobody can duplicate anymore.  His voice was top notch, so beautiful and still Rock at the same time. 
Co-Sign with all of those...Layne Staley's voice was so unique..and it fit the music perfectly

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 11:44:26 PM »
Axl Rose : Guns n Roses
Eddie Vedder Pearl jam
Layne Staley : Alice n Chains

We Fly High

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 12:40:38 AM »
yeah i love alice in chains. great music, what a tragedy though. i need to pick up some of thier other shit. i got nothing safe best of the box and unplugged..