Author Topic: Anyone buy the Xbox 360?  (Read 785 times)

TeeRaySix9Teen

Re: Anyone buy the Xbox 360?
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2005, 01:53:41 AM »
my store only had 20 of em...all gone today

Doesn't that seem a little rediculous to anyone?  If you go into a store, they usually have oh, 50 gamecubes, and 50 psp's, and whatever.  I was In Best Buy tonight, they had at least 100 PS2's sitting on a pallet.

There's a rumour going around, that this all a strategy by Microsoft.  When the Nintendo DS came out earlier this year, it sold out all over the place.  When the PSP came out, Sony had produced TONS of them, and the orders were very high because everyone knew it would be very successful.  Sony sold tons of PSP's, but they didn't SELL OUT in most locations, because they had enough product to fill the stores and meet demand (Nintendo didn't with the D.S.).

Now; the result of that was, some industry 'analysts' (read, nerds who write for gaming magazines) deemed Sony's PSP launch a failure.  It's true they didn't sell as many systems as Nintendo, but they still sold one hell of a lot of systems, and by fair standards (and I'm a Nintendo fan) Sony's PSP was a resounding success for them.  Not to the industry analysts though...

So the rumour is (and it's been partially confirmed) that Microsoft came up with an "Influencer marketing" strategy that theorizes that in every circle of friends, there are certain 'die hard' gamers who influence the others into buying games and systems.  These die hard gamers are the ones who will go stand in line and be the first to have a system.  Microsoft's theory is, that if they put a limited supply out (I.E., a rediculous 20 systems a store), that the only people that will get the 360's are the die hard gamers.  The news will pick up on the craziness, and report on it... and the die hard gamers will act like they're something special and brag about the systems... driving sales even HIGHER when Microsoft floods the market with the systems in the next few weeks.

That makes a LOT of sense to me... because I can't understand how they would only have 20 systems a store to go.  Another thing that makes this believable is, the rumours (from a couple weeks ago) said that Microsoft was instructing everyone to immediately plaster big "SOLD OUT!" signs the moment they sold out, to increase the hype.  I went to Toys R Us and Best Buy tonight, and both had "SOLD OUT!" signs posted.  They were sold out of tons of other shit too, but that was the only thing they had taken the time to write a sign for.

youre how old again?

Trauma-san

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2005, 06:16:29 AM »
my store only had 20 of em...all gone today

Doesn't that seem a little rediculous to anyone?  If you go into a store, they usually have oh, 50 gamecubes, and 50 psp's, and whatever.  I was In Best Buy tonight, they had at least 100 PS2's sitting on a pallet.

There's a rumour going around, that this all a strategy by Microsoft.  When the Nintendo DS came out earlier this year, it sold out all over the place.  When the PSP came out, Sony had produced TONS of them, and the orders were very high because everyone knew it would be very successful.  Sony sold tons of PSP's, but they didn't SELL OUT in most locations, because they had enough product to fill the stores and meet demand (Nintendo didn't with the D.S.).

Now; the result of that was, some industry 'analysts' (read, nerds who write for gaming magazines) deemed Sony's PSP launch a failure.  It's true they didn't sell as many systems as Nintendo, but they still sold one hell of a lot of systems, and by fair standards (and I'm a Nintendo fan) Sony's PSP was a resounding success for them.  Not to the industry analysts though...

So the rumour is (and it's been partially confirmed) that Microsoft came up with an "Influencer marketing" strategy that theorizes that in every circle of friends, there are certain 'die hard' gamers who influence the others into buying games and systems.  These die hard gamers are the ones who will go stand in line and be the first to have a system.  Microsoft's theory is, that if they put a limited supply out (I.E., a rediculous 20 systems a store), that the only people that will get the 360's are the die hard gamers.  The news will pick up on the craziness, and report on it... and the die hard gamers will act like they're something special and brag about the systems... driving sales even HIGHER when Microsoft floods the market with the systems in the next few weeks.

That makes a LOT of sense to me... because I can't understand how they would only have 20 systems a store to go.  Another thing that makes this believable is, the rumours (from a couple weeks ago) said that Microsoft was instructing everyone to immediately plaster big "SOLD OUT!" signs the moment they sold out, to increase the hype.  I went to Toys R Us and Best Buy tonight, and both had "SOLD OUT!" signs posted.  They were sold out of tons of other shit too, but that was the only thing they had taken the time to write a sign for.

youre how old again?

I'm 27.  I work as an Collector/Technician for an Amusement Operator, and have a tri state sales route I'm responsible for.  On the weekends, I help my brother run a video game booth at the flea market that earns a significant amount of money, and on the side I fix and sell restored Arcade games. 

So I'm a little leveraged into the success of the video game industry. 

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2005, 07:54:16 AM »
So is there anyone who got a 360 in his living room?

my roomate has 1 ,played it a couple times ......ps3  8)

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2005, 08:53:53 PM »
i got it... i have to say that perfect dark zero is a blast to play online.  they did a lot of things that were wrong with halo 2 right.  it actually takes some skill to aim and the headshots do major damage.  plus they have all kinds of sick weapons.  there's this one weapon that's like the predator disc and it's secondary function puts up a shield.  i don't want to ruin all the surprises here but just know that the game is sick.  the only gripe i have is that the characters run slow as hell when they have their weapons drawn.
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:59 PM »
i got it... i have to say that perfect dark zero is a blast to play online.  they did a lot of things that were wrong with halo 2 right.  it actually takes some skill to aim and the headshots do major damage.  plus they have all kinds of sick weapons.  there's this one weapon that's like the predator disc and it's secondary function puts up a shield.  i don't want to ruin all the surprises here but just know that the game is sick.  the only gripe i have is that the characters run slow as hell when they have their weapons drawn.
the only reason y i wood get 360 if for GPR