Author Topic: Nintendo DS fastest selling system of all time in Japan, sold 4 million in U.S.  (Read 287 times)

Trauma-san

Didn't one of you guys actually say that the Nintendo DS was going to be a failure?  Then why is it blowing the PSP out of the water around the world?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141751.html

Portable market in hand for Nintendo
Company says nearly 4 million DSs have been sold in North America; Mario Kart and Nintendogs top 2005 software numbers.
While most eyes are on the upcoming next-generation console war, Nintendo sent out a little reminder that the battle for handheld gaming is still raging. The Japanese company today revealed that nearly 4 million units of its DS handheld have been sold in the US. The latest numbers bring the total crop of DSs in customers' hands to more than 10 million. In Nintendo's home country, the DS has sold more than 5 million units, and in Europe, the number exceeded 1 million in June (new numbers have not yet been made available).

Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president for marketing and corporate communications, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that more than 3 million DSs were sold in the US in 2005, on top of the 1.2 million sold in just over a month in 2004. With both the DS and the three models of the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo claims to own 78 percent of the handheld gaming market in the US.

Nintendo also trumpeted the numbers being put up by a few of the dual-screened handheld's software titles. Sales of Mario Kart DS, released in mid-November, have already topped 1 million units in the US. Nintendogs, which revived sales of the system both in the US and Japan, has sold more than 1.5 million units in the US since its August release.

With more than 5 million units sold in Japan since its December 2004 regional launch, the DS has become the fastest-selling gaming machine in Japan's history. In another first, Japanese gamers have scooped up more than a million copies of four different titles within one year of a system's launch: Nintendogs, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Brain Age, and Brain Flex.

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, which allows gamers to play over the Internet, has seen 550,000 unique visitors since its debut in late 2005.

The sales numbers of Nintendo's main rival in the handheld market, the Sony PSP, differ depending on who is asked. According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Sony has sold 2.7 million PSPs in the US from its March launch through December 1. However, last month, Sony told Reuters that 3 million units of the handheld have been sold in the US through November. A third opinion yields a third number--NPD Funworld says 2.5 million PSPs were sold in America through November.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
I said it would fail next to the other gameboys and be ingored by Ninentdo in a few years and I stand by that.

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i cant believe it i woz gonna buy a psp but now cant b arsed mite get a ds tho for Final Fantasy 3 and 4
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

On The Edge of Insanity

I said it would fail next to the other gameboys and be ingored by Ninentdo in a few years and I stand by that.

They've hardly abandoned them, they are still releasing yet smaller versions of the Gameboy colour, and you can't expect them to keep making games for the old machines once they bring out a new version.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

They've hardly abandoned them, they are still releasing yet smaller versions of the Gameboy colour, and you can't expect them to keep making games for the old machines once they bring out a new version.

I know they haven't abandoned them. The GameBoy Advance was a huge success, and is still the top handheld in the world right now. I just can't see the amount of people that bought the GBA or SP to buy a DS, unless the DS were to drop in price and focus mainly on single screen games with the bottom screen serving as a menu and they release some killer games that way. I think the DS came out too soon after the SP and didn't give the full GB public enough time to think they needed a new machine.

I don't know how well the PSP will do in the long run or if Microsoft will release something. To be honest, I hate handhelds. The only games I ever liked on them were Tetris and Columns. Every other I game I would play on the Super Gameboy or emulator. I don't know how anyone can stand playing a 3D game on a 2 to 3 inch screen.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
I got a DS for xmas and I love it, I can't put it down these days.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Sikotic™

DS is still BS regardless. I'll stick to my Gameboy Micro.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

The Watcher

i don't really care what anyone says, but mario kart online is dope, my wife got me one for christmas with a bunch of games
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Trauma-san

I know they haven't abandoned them. The GameBoy Advance was a huge success, and is still the top handheld in the world right now. I just can't see the amount of people that bought the GBA or SP to buy a DS, unless the DS were to drop in price and focus mainly on single screen games with the bottom screen serving as a menu and they release some killer games that way. I think the DS came out too soon after the SP and didn't give the full GB public enough time to think they needed a new machine.

I don't know how well the PSP will do in the long run or if Microsoft will release something. To be honest, I hate handhelds. The only games I ever liked on them were Tetris and Columns. Every other I game I would play on the Super Gameboy or emulator. I don't know how anyone can stand playing a 3D game on a 2 to 3 inch screen.

You know, it's alright to be wrong once in a while.  Why don't you just admit you were wrong?

Your backtracking is bullshit and ineffective, they didn't release the DS as a successor to the Gameboy Advance SP... they still create games for the SP and still sell not only the SP, but two other gameboy versions (Advance, and Micro).  Amazingly, with a concurrent handheld system made by their own company, Nintendo has still been able to sell 10 million DS's.   

You said it would fail, and you were wrong.  Now you're saying they released it too close to the launch of the SP so weren't able to capture the full SP market... they released it concurrently with the SP and aren't trying to sell it to SP customers.  It's two different systems with two libraries of games at the same time, and they're both selling like wildfire.  Many of the DS games are simply superior to anything on the PSP.  Nintendo has done a great job of cranking up the quality of their games this past year, and likewise have sold a ton of the systems. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I cant wait to get the Revolution  ;D

herpes

its a videogame, its not that serious

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!

You know, it's alright to be wrong once in a while.  Why don't you just admit you were wrong?

Your backtracking is bullshit and ineffective, they didn't release the DS as a successor to the Gameboy Advance SP... they still create games for the SP and still sell not only the SP, but two other gameboy versions (Advance, and Micro).  Amazingly, with a concurrent handheld system made by their own company, Nintendo has still been able to sell 10 million DS's.   

You said it would fail, and you were wrong.  Now you're saying they released it too close to the launch of the SP so weren't able to capture the full SP market... they released it concurrently with the SP and aren't trying to sell it to SP customers.  It's two different systems with two libraries of games at the same time, and they're both selling like wildfire.  Many of the DS games are simply superior to anything on the PSP.  Nintendo has done a great job of cranking up the quality of their games this past year, and likewise have sold a ton of the systems. 

The Saturn sold 10 million. THe Deamcast sold nearly 20. I cosider both failures, and I'm a Sega loyalist who owns both of them. I don't conmsider anything a success until it breaks 30 or 40 million. The NES, the Genesis (if you count the add on sales), the SNES, the Gameboy, the GBA, the PS1, and PS2 are successes. Everything else is a failure in my book with exception of the X Box which wasn't really a success but it was a good first step into the market.

So, I will have no problem admitting I'm wrong if the DS reaches even 25 million, but it it doesn't even reach 20 then it's just another Game Cube or Dreamcast.

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
The Japanese know their games.

I cant wait to get the Revolution

real talk, nintendo 4 life

Trauma-san

its a videogame, its not that serious

New York's a city, it's not that serious.

Gotti's a gangster, it's not that serious. 

etc. etc.