West Coast Connection Forum

DUBCC - Tha Connection => West Coast Classics => Topic started by: HighEyeCue on September 29, 2026, 12:59:05 PM

Title: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: HighEyeCue on September 29, 2026, 12:59:05 PM
there's been a little Warren G talk of late on here so I decided to pop in the CD this afternoon...I know there are some who will say it only has 12 tracks, well really 10 if we are taking out the skits but that doesn't make Illmatic any less of an album being around the same length so why should it make a difference here? I still haven't made my final vote but I'm heavily leaning toward yes

Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: gfunk2024 on September 29, 2026, 05:29:47 PM
Absolutely. If it would have dropped on DR it would have fit right in.

It is one of my top 10 albums of all time.
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Sccit on September 29, 2026, 07:23:15 PM
good thread

and yes, it's a timeless classic

easily a top 10 west coast album all time .. arguably top 5
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Eddz on September 30, 2026, 03:13:31 AM
Yep, it's a classis and on the same level.

Take a Look Over Your Shoulder is highly underrated too.
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: HighEyeCue on September 30, 2026, 04:16:53 AM
I highly respect everyone's opinion on here but I'm just wondering who voted no? ;D


Yep, it's a classis and on the same level.

Take a Look Over Your Shoulder is highly underrated too.

I Want It All as well...solid album

ireally f you take his first 3 and put them against Daz's first 3 its very close but I think Warren comes out on top

good thread

and yes, it's a timeless classic

easily a top 10 west coast album all time .. arguably top 5

 :salute:

Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Eddz on September 30, 2026, 03:24:42 PM
I highly respect everyone's opinion on here but I'm just wondering who voted no? ;D

I Want It All as well...solid album

ireally f you take his first 3 and put them against Daz's first 3 its very close but I think Warren comes out on top

 :salute:

Warren's whole discography is pretty underrated, all his albums besides G-Files are nice including In The Mid-Nite Hour.

I'd put his first 4 or 5 album run over pretty much anyone from DPG.
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: dnjp4life on October 01, 2026, 10:05:12 AM
Yes and no really.

It's a classic there's no denying that, but the Death Row albums had that harder g-funk sound that just gives them more weight and substance when compared to Warren G's album.

Plus if we're totally honest, Warren doesn't have the same mic presence as someone like 93/94 Snoop, Kurupt or Daz even, and definitely not Death Row 2Pac.  His rhymes sometimes can come across quite lightweight and his flow quite basic on this album, but then again I guess that was the easy-listening g-funk vibe he was going for.

Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 10:29:06 AM
there's been a little Warren G talk of late on here so I decided to pop in the CD this afternoon...I know there are some who will say it only has 12 tracks, well really 10 if we are taking out the skits but that doesn't make Illmatic any less of an album being around the same length so why should it make a difference here? I still haven't made my final vote but I'm heavily leaning toward yes

Yes to your question that it does fit in with the Death Row sound at the time.  The lead single was on a Death Row album, Dr Dre was in one of the videos, Snoop's voice is sampled.  So yeah for sure.

It is a little short, like you said, take out the skits, it's down to 10 tracks.  Then Super Soul Sis and This is The Shack doesn't even feature Warren, so now you're down to 8, and a lot of the tracks feature the Twinz and 5 Footaz, so there's only a few Warren solos on there.  But, same could be said about Chronic and Doggystyle.  Kind of cringe listening to the 94 Ho Draft skit and them talking about auctioning off underage girls. No way anything like that would fly today.

However, i don't think this is Warren's best album, i think "I Want It All" is his better work. 
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Sccit on October 01, 2026, 12:19:57 PM
Warren's whole discography is pretty underrated, all his albums besides G-Files are nice including In The Mid-Nite Hour.

I'd put his first 4 or 5 album run over pretty much anyone from DPG.

i would say it's between snoop and warren


regulate
take a look over your shoulder
i want it all
return of the regulator
midnite hour

vs

doggystyle
doggfather
da game is to be sold
top dogg
last meal



that's a tough one
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Sccit on October 01, 2026, 12:22:43 PM
Yes to your question that it does fit in with the Death Row sound at the time.  The lead single was on a Death Row album, Dr Dre was in one of the videos, Snoop's voice is sampled.  So yeah for sure.

It is a little short, like you said, take out the skits, it's down to 10 tracks.  Then Super Soul Sis and This is The Shack doesn't even feature Warren, so now you're down to 8, and a lot of the tracks feature the Twinz and 5 Footaz, so there's only a few Warren solos on there.  But, same could be said about Chronic and Doggystyle.  Kind of cringe listening to the 94 Ho Draft skit and them talking about auctioning off underage girls. No way anything like that would fly today.

However, i don't think this is Warren's best album, i think "I Want It All" is his better work.


who was underrage in 94 hoe draft?
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 12:24:48 PM

who was underrage in 94 hoe draft?

Man, you need to up your game on the classic albums. 

One of the quotes was "We got Tammy, she's too young right now, but she's still got some good p****y". 

The other one talking about "flame-on was her Jr High nickname"
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Sccit on October 01, 2026, 12:39:04 PM
Man, you need to up your game on the classic albums. 

One of the quotes was "We got Tammy, she's too young right now, but she's still got some good p****y". 

The other one talking about "flame-on was her Jr High nickname"


i literally looked up the lyrics before replying to see if i was missing something


that still doesn't indicate they underage


could be 18-19 which still many consider to be too young, but not underage legally



 :ohwell:
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: TraceOneInfinite on October 01, 2026, 12:54:56 PM
Absolutely. If it would have dropped on DR it would have fit right in.

It is one of my top 10 albums of all time.

Exactly — and it was so fascinating at the time — being a kid in the midwest and before the internet, you just had to make your own assumptions..

I remember scanning the liner notes for the Death Row logo and not seeing it.  When the sound wasn't hard like Chronic and Doggystyle — I almost even started wondering if it was some kind of Concrete Roots type of album like "is this legit?" Like, how is he best friends with Snoop and Snoop isn't even on this?  (Somehow I did know he was Snoops best friends)

I was also dumb enough to actually come up with some explanation for myself — that Snoop was on the album — that he was on "Rekognize" (when of course it was actually just a sample).  So "Recognize" was the only track I was bumping because really in those days I was buying anything with any association to Snoop — I pretty much idolized Snoop at that age like hero worship.

Then "This DJ" video came out and it all made sense and the rest was history — can you believe the summer of 94' brought us these 3 joints back to back to back:

"This DJ"
Ahmad "Back in the Day"
Coolio "I Remember"
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 01:11:47 PM

i literally looked up the lyrics before replying to see if i was missing something


that still doesn't indicate they underage


could be 18-19 which still many consider to be too young, but not underage legally



 :ohwell:

lol come on man, don't be one of those guys.  He references Jr High.  In America, that's 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  For the other one, the fact that the guy says 'she's too young right now' doesn't mean she's 18 or 19, especially when you consider Tha Twinz were that age during that album, and they are at the draft....doesn't make any sense.  Don't tell me for a minute you're trying to justify in your mind how this type of thinking is OK. 
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 01:14:28 PM
Exactly — and it was so fascinating at the time — being a kid in the midwest and before the internet, you just had to make your own assumptions..

I remember scanning the liner notes for the Death Row logo and not seeing it.  When the sound wasn't hard like Chronic and Doggystyle — I almost even started wondering if it was some kind of Concrete Roots type of album like "is this legit?" Like, how is he best friends with Snoop and Snoop isn't even on this?  (Somehow I did know he was Snoops best friends)

I was also dumb enough to actually come up with some explanation for myself — that Snoop was on the album — that he was on "Rekognize" (when of course it was actually just a sample).  So "Recognize" was the only track I was bumping because really in those days I was buying anything with any association to Snoop — I pretty much idolized Snoop at that age like hero worship.

Then "This DJ" video came out and it all made sense and the rest was history — can you believe the summer of 94' brought us these 3 joints back to back to back:

"This DJ"
Ahmad "Back in the Day"
Coolio "I Remember"

I remember I was at the mall music store, Sam Goody i believe, and I only had enough money for one cassette tape, Warren G or Coolio.  I picked Warren G and listened to that for months.  I think i made the right call.  I did eventually pick up It Takes a Thief as well, but I didn't like it as much as Regulate. 
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: HighEyeCue on October 01, 2026, 02:20:04 PM
lol come on man, don't be one of those guys.  He references Jr High.  In America, that's 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  For the other one, the fact that the guy says 'she's too young right now' doesn't mean she's 18 or 19, especially when you consider Tha Twinz were that age during that album, and they are at the draft....doesn't make any sense.  Don't tell me for a minute you're trying to justify in your mind how this type of thinking is OK.

remember MC Ren's lines in "She Swallowed It"? ...not saying that it was right or wrong but no one batted an eyelash back then, different times...now of course with the Me Too movement and all of that it would never get released :ohwell:
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Sccit on October 01, 2026, 02:32:38 PM
lol come on man, don't be one of those guys.  He references Jr High.  In America, that's 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  For the other one, the fact that the guy says 'she's too young right now' doesn't mean she's 18 or 19, especially when you consider Tha Twinz were that age during that album, and they are at the draft....doesn't make any sense.  Don't tell me for a minute you're trying to justify in your mind how this type of thinking is OK.


hey man, just playin devils advocate here

he says "back in jr high school" which means she no longer in jr high ... could be in college or even a senior in high school (18)


not tryna justify anything .. like higheyecue said, it was different times .. plus, the pimp game always been notorious for dealin wit girls on the younger side (mainly in high school or fresh out)

i'm not advocating for any of that, just kinda weird seeing u up in arms over what's been known.. never took u as the cancel culture typa fella



Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 03:26:02 PM
remember MC Ren's lines in "She Swallowed It"? ...not saying that it was right or wrong but no one batted an eyelash back then, different times...now of course with the Me Too movement and all of that it would never get released :ohwell:

Oh no doubt, that line by MC Ren is bad too.  Some of Dre's lines are bad too.  Sign of the times.  Not saying it wasn't more acceptable back then, because it was.  Still doesn't make it easy to listen to now that we're better as a society. 
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: Soopafly DPGC on October 01, 2026, 03:27:31 PM

hey man, just playin devils advocate here

he says "back in jr high school" which means she no longer in jr high ... could be in college or even a senior in high school (18)


not tryna justify anything .. like higheyecue said, it was different times .. plus, the pimp game always been notorious for dealin wit girls on the younger side (mainly in high school or fresh out)

i'm not advocating for any of that, just kinda weird seeing u up in arms over what's been known.. never took u as the cancel culture typa fella

sheesh....for once, you've left me speechless. 
Title: Re: Is Regulate G Funk Era on ths same level as the classic Death Row albums?
Post by: TraceOneInfinite on October 01, 2026, 09:05:07 PM
I remember I was at the mall music store, Sam Goody i believe, and I only had enough money for one cassette tape, Warren G or Coolio.  I picked Warren G and listened to that for months.  I think i made the right call.  I did eventually pick up It Takes a Thief as well, but I didn't like it as much as Regulate.

That ain't even a debate.  I've never heard anyone question which of those two albums was better.  So I assume you were using subtlety for comedic effect.

I did absolutely love the "I Remember" music video the Alkoholics in it - such a beautiful song — and no one I knew was wise enough to know Coolio had already been around in WC's Maad Circle. 

Shout out to my best friend Adam that summer — we did everything together — from roller blade hockey in the street to death defying jumps of balconies, tennis, epic boxing matches — we even went fishing together of all things — his older brother made out with some neighborhood girl on the back deck — and was like that cool older brother in the neighborhoods st8 out of an 80's movie — that used to pick on us but we thought he was "cool" lol