Author Topic: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (no more MK games after this!!!)  (Read 476 times)

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (no more MK games after this!!!)
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(
Pics from game:http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/794/794354/imgs_1.html
Videos:http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/794/794354/vids_1.html
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Co-Creator Ed Boon extrapolates on the final battle between good and evil. First details, screens and movies.
by Douglass C. Perry
 February 24, 2006 - Given the popularity of the long-running Mortal Kombat series, nobody would dare think that Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Midway's upcoming fighter for Xbox and PS2, would be the final game in the franchise. And yet...Armageddon does have that certain ring to it. The way co-creator Ed Boon talks about Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, with words like "final chapter" and "final battle between good and evil," one really does begin to wonder.

That's why we spoke with the always-friendly Boon this week about the follow-up to 2004's Mortal Kombat: Deception. Boon, who co-created the arcade fighter in the early 1990s with Jon Tobias, has continued on with the series, successfully taking the 2D sprite-based series to polygonal 3D, and recently creating the popular offshoot, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

IGN: Following Mortal Kombat: Deception, many critics and fans felt that there was nothing more that could be done with the series. If you're a fan who's tired of Mortal Kombat yet wants something new and fresh from the series, how would you try to persuade them that Mortal Kombat Armageddon is worth their while?

Ed Boon: One thing about the MK series is that we are not afraid to make big changes and additions to our games. I really believe it is one of the reasons we still consistently out-sell our fighting game competitors. ANY series that keeps releasing the same game over and over will eventually sell fewer and fewer units.

IGN: Mortal Kombat Deception was filled with mini-games, chess, puzzle combat, and tons of unlockables. How did fans react to these additions, and will they make a return in Mortal Kombat Armageddon?

Ed: The response to all the "diversions" (as I like to call them) was very positive. In addition to the interactive backgrounds, death traps and the new breaker move, it really helped further distinguish us from other fighting series that were simply adding a couple of characters and incrementing the number in their title. Mortal Kombat has always had secret features and unlockables and Armageddon will not remove those features….and YES, there will be another new diversion in Armageddon as well.

IGN: What do you mean by "Armageddon?" Is this really the final battle between good and evil? Does this mean this is the last Mortal Kombat as we know it? Will you explain?

Ed: Armageddon does imply "The End" in a few ways. It is the end of MK on this generation of consoles. It also is the final battle between all the good and evil characters in the MK universe. We really want to close this chapter of Mortal Kombat.

IGN: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon has the biggest roster of the series ever, which means we have, what, 30-plus characters? In what context do all these characters coming together make sense from a story standpoint?

Ed: The roster is a lot bigger than 30 characters. It's actually a lot closer to 60 characters. Since the story really ties up all the loose ends from Mortal Kombat 1 all the way to Deception, we want to include everyone. Plus, since this final chapter is all about the final epic battle we need to explain what happens to EVERYONE, which means leaving no stone unturned.

IGN: Also, from a technical standpoint, are there any complications or difficulties you had to overcome to get all of these characters to fight one another? Do different character sizes or fighting styles make a difference from a design or programming standpoint?

Ed: Absolutely. We are going to be including all the boss characters from MK's past. Goro, Shao Kahn, even Motaro!! Some of these characters are HUGE and have never been playable characters before. So we will need to make sure they are not too powerful or un-fun to play. We are doing extensive testing on them against every single other character in the game to make sure they are fair and fun to play.

IGN: What create-a-player modes have you seen in previous games that you've liked? And which one did you base Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on, if any? How exactly does it work? Can you explain how the feature is robust and deep?

Ed: There have been a number of create-a-character modes in various wrestling, boxing and golf games. They all have the standard "dress-your-fighter" functionality with a number of different costume items to select. We really didn't base MK on of any particular one but we did a good amount of research and wanted to make sure we did more than they did. For example, we thought it was important to let players define their attacks as well as the look of their fighters. Armageddon lets you define your fighting styles, right down to the attack associated with each button. Another thing we knew was important was to let players take their created fighter and go online against other created fighters. This is one of the most exciting features of our create-a-fighter mode.

IGN: Fatalities have always been a significant part of the Mortal Kombat phenomenon. What kinds of new fatalities will we see in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, and can you explain how players can create their own new fatalities?

Ed: Our goal with the fatality system is to make it as interactive as possible. In all the previous MK games fatalities were triggered and then both players would just sit back and "watch the fireworks". With each new MK game we added more elaborate fatality sequences, but they've always been non-interactive. With our new Fatality system players will be stringing together "mini-fatalities" (in whatever order they want) to form their own "custom fatality". Each character will have a larger number of "mini-fatality" moves that will each require a button sequence to trigger. Players can decide which fatalities they want to string together to form their own custom fatality. The challenge will be that every "mini-fatality" will require a faster button sequence than the previous. So really good players will be able to string together longer fatalities and customize them as long as they are fast enough to enter the button sequence for each step.

IGN: Mortal Kombat: Deception, technically, was a sound game. The framerate was solid, the controls were good (although MK has always been rather mechanical), and from a visual standpoint, it was attractive. Given that these systems are four and five years old now, how are you able to improve the engines from a visual standpoint to make the games look better? What tricks do your programmers have left?

Ed: Every game we make always runs into the inevitable point where we have to stop adding features because of time limitations. MK Deception was no exception, upon further inspection (sorry, I couldn't resist). Our programming team has always added new graphical enhancements to our display engine with each new title including Armageddon. Our new backgrounds are more multi-leveled, more interactive and have more sophisticated lighting techniques than Deception did. Though more importantly, the game-play in Armageddon is better as well. With our new parry feature and air-kombat, the fights are much more varied and unpredictable. We can't wait for you to play it.

IGN: It sounds like the MK team is really going to up the ante with this newly improved online mode. What did you see in Deception that could be fixed, improved, or revamped to give players a better experience?

Ed: We have high hopes for MK Armageddon's online capabilities but we can't come out with details just yet. We'll have more on that aspect of the game soon.

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The trains are NY veins, the city's a Psycho
Re: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (no more MK games after this!!!)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
final MK game?! im def. gonna cop this one

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

'DsR'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
that looks crazy

"fuck under tha influence im hella fucked up, swervin down the freeway spillin my cup"

Dynamic

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dynamite cuz I rhyme So Tight
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
i gotta get this shit
Francis, M to the iz-H phenominal
Gun rest under your vest by the abdominal
Two auto-matos, used to call me fatso
Now you call me Castro, my rap flows
militant, y'all faggots ain't killin' shit
~ Notorious BIG

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I WENT TO STAPLES CENTER WEN I WAS WALKING MY GOLD RAG FALL OF MY POCKET AND THE GROUND WAS WET TO AND DIRTY MY RAG GOT DIRTY A LIL BIT PULL IT IT BACK AND MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT DROP AGAIN ROCKING MY RAG AGAIN HOMIE 8

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:42:42 PM »
yo Dynamic, what songs that line from at the bottom of ur sig...it's drivin me crazy, i cant put my finger on it

"gleam the wrist out, copped the pist-al, nigga talk shit now"

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 03:48:48 PM »
i hope is good...the video was ill....but i'm worried about the game play...i lost interest after ultimate mk and mk trilogy.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »
He doesn't say it's the final MK game.  As a matter of fact, he goes way out of his way to not specifically say that it's the final MK game. 

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:06:01 AM »
theres a new MK game being made for the PSP,not sure if its the same as this one or different,comin out later this year i think?

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »
yo Dynamic, what songs that line from at the bottom of ur sig...it's drivin me crazy, i cant put my finger on it

shyne ft barrington levy-bad boyz...ill track...

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 01:45:10 PM »
I used to dream bout a mk-game wit all characters ever used, this gon be a classic, though i would love it way more if it would be 2-d, just like the first mk games. I like mortal kombat 2 and trilogy the best

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »
they should also add all fatalitiest, babylities, burtalities, animalitiest ever used. would be too dope

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »
^Yeah their 2D shit is incredible, the graphics are way more realistic & cooler.I mean look at this screen from the first MK which was released in 1992!!!

BJV

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 05:36:40 PM »
havent played it since the snes, don't really give a fuck  :)

h cottie is bac-tive?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »

shyne ft barrington levy-bad boyz...ill track...

+1  :D