Author Topic: Crash won Best Picture  (Read 1753 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Crash won Best Picture
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 12:37:41 PM »
I don't know if all the praise was too much for me, the fact that I came from a very multicultural high school often being the only white guy in my class and discussing every topic that movie was portraying to death for years now, or because I just didn't think it was all that great. I think this movie won more for political reasons rather than quality. The same could be said most of the nominees in that category, but in this case I truly feel Crash was the worst movie out of the five nominated.

All I saw was cliché driven over-coincidences with sappy slightly over the top emotion grabbers in between, done by a white apologist and voted for by more white apologists who want to pretend that a still very racist Hollywood cares about the issues of racist America. It felt like I was watching a set of speeches that all begin with the line "Don't be racist because....". They could have accomplished this in a documentary with realistic facts. I'm willing to over look the odds of Matt Dillon running into the woman he more or less molested the night before, but I don't see why he would try so hard to save her. I don't think the movie properly focused on his redemption leading up to his choices. I don't see why Terrence Howard would just be let go by the police after the way he was acting just because Ryan Phillippe feels bad about what his partner did. I don't see why Larenz Tate would get so upset when asked why he was laughing and basically egg on the guy that picked him up just because they wanted to show that Ryan Phillippe can be racist too. And I personally would have wanted to see Luda sell the Chinese slaves and make cash so that he became everything he claims to stand against, but I'm not complaining about that. The Academy just wanted to pretend they are concerned and probably still feel a little guilty and voted for this movie because of that. Of course they also voted for the biggest black stereotype out there and had the only black people that won an award turn out to be uneducated yokels, or modern day "coons". So I guess it evens out for you Hollywood. I bet they didn't even ask 36 Mafia to dress up or to present themselves properly because they wanted them to act like that. You think when 3-6 go to church they dress and talk like that? I don't. Concerned about racism? I don't think so Hollywood.

(You can press the diss button in the corner of my post if you like, but this is truly how I feel and I'm just expressing my opinion).

The film never tells the viewer why racism is wrong.  It just shows how racism shapes people's lives, of course some parts were not entire believeable and exxaragerated but if it wasnt it would have been impossible to show that point and too damn long. 

How does it not? It has a racist cop molest a black woman, a man almost shoot a girl because he thought he was a victim of racism, a not so racist cop show that he is racist by assuming a black man has a gun. This movie has a clear don't assume with out knowing message and it's a great message, I just don't think it's that great a movie. A PG version would be a great addition to any high school social studies class though. You can disagree about the quality and rightfully disagree but you can't deny it's meant as an educational film with examples with morals. Haggis has said so in plenty of interviews.

Sikotic™

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »
I don't know if all the praise was too much for me, the fact that I came from a very multicultural high school often being the only white guy in my class and discussing every topic that movie was portraying to death for years now, or because I just didn't think it was all that great. I think this movie won more for political reasons rather than quality. The same could be said most of the nominees in that category, but in this case I truly feel Crash was the worst movie out of the five nominated.

All I saw was cliché driven over-coincidences with sappy slightly over the top emotion grabbers in between, done by a white apologist and voted for by more white apologists who want to pretend that a still very racist Hollywood cares about the issues of racist America. It felt like I was watching a set of speeches that all begin with the line "Don't be racist because....". They could have accomplished this in a documentary with realistic facts. I'm willing to over look the odds of Matt Dillon running into the woman he more or less molested the night before, but I don't see why he would try so hard to save her. I don't think the movie properly focused on his redemption leading up to his choices. I don't see why Terrence Howard would just be let go by the police after the way he was acting just because Ryan Phillippe feels bad about what his partner did. I don't see why Larenz Tate would get so upset when asked why he was laughing and basically egg on the guy that picked him up just because they wanted to show that Ryan Phillippe can be racist too. And I personally would have wanted to see Luda sell the Chinese slaves and make cash so that he became everything he claims to stand against, but I'm not complaining about that. The Academy just wanted to pretend they are concerned and probably still feel a little guilty and voted for this movie because of that. Of course they also voted for the biggest black stereotype out there and had the only black people that won an award turn out to be uneducated yokels, or modern day "coons". So I guess it evens out for you Hollywood. I bet they didn't even ask 36 Mafia to dress up or to present themselves properly because they wanted them to act like that. You think when 3-6 go to church they dress and talk like that? I don't. Concerned about racism? I don't think so Hollywood.

(You can press the diss button in the corner of my post if you like, but this is truly how I feel and I'm just expressing my opinion).

The film never tells the viewer why racism is wrong.  It just shows how racism shapes people's lives, of course some parts were not entire believeable and exxaragerated but if it wasnt it would have been impossible to show that point and too damn long. 

Exactly, it's a movie, not a documentary. It's not trying to profess truth, it's just sending out a message and of course, entertaining the audience.

As for 3-6 winning, I don't understand how they acted like yokels or coons. I thought they did a great performance and were very cool when it came to their acceptance of the award.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

westkoastanostra

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 12:54:37 PM »
thats great that crash won...i was able to see that movie in theaters back in may....by the way...who won best actor/actress and best supporting actor/actress?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »

How does it not? It has a racist cop molest a black woman, a man almost shoot a girl because he thought he was a victim of racism, a not so racist cop show that he is racist by assuming a black man has a gun. This movie has a clear don't assume with out knowing message and it's a great message, I just don't think it's that great a movie. A PG version would be a great addition to any high school social studies class though. You can disagree about the quality and rightfully disagree but you can't deny it's meant as an educational film with examples with morals. Haggis has said so in plenty of interviews.

It shows how racism affects people's lives.  How we feel uncomfortable around strangers but comfortable at the same time.  And no doubt that this movie will be shown in High Schools and Sociology classes.  But if you didnt think it was a great movie because it was cliche driven and etc, then geez man how many movies do you think are Best Picture worthy? Two or Three in the history of films. 

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »
i thought that the acceptance speech by 3-6 was very genuine  and their attire i thought was more for the performance and becuz the award was nominated right after their performance they werent able to get changed.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think it was so genuine. I'm sure they were genuinely happy but I think they were trying to "keep it real" with the streets that they ended up looking goofy.

Javy; I didn't think it was a great movie because I didn't think it was a great movie. It was praised for it's moral stance. That's obvious. I guess it brought up a lot of issues that most people don't talk about. I do talk about these issues and have for years and nothing I saw in that movie made me think about how I act in life. For others it obviously did.

I think every movie that ever won is best picture worthy, and every movie nominated is too. I just think that this year Crash was the least deserving and I think the message overshadowed the art.

Have you seen the other 4 movies nominated?

And Sik; to me it seemed as if Three 6 were playing stereotypes. They wrote a song on pimps and drug dealers and acted like thugs. And no I don't think that is really what they are like. I know enough black people to know that too many street blacks put on a different face for the streets and when the streets is watching them then the real face they have. The face they put on when they have nothing to prove to anyone. This happens with everyone, unfortunately with blacks the only face that really gets focused on more than any other one is the degrading face of the low level blacks. Even to the point where if a black doesn't act like that he gets accused of being "white". My guess is groups like the NAACP and people like Chuck D will be much more upset about it then I could ever be.

I don't have a problem with the way they were excited. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't thimnk Cuba was "cooning" when he won a few years back, like Nas thought.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »
Yeah I saw Good Night and Good Luck and A History of Violence.  Between those 3, I rank A History of Violence at the top of the list then Crash and then Good Night and Good Luck. I'm interested in Capote, but not Brokeback Mountain because it's  a love story, and Im not a huge fan of love stories. 

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 09:14:29 PM »
Never thought that movie had a chance at winning an oscar but its a pretty good movie. I wont see the other nominees till they come out on dvd.

Sikotic™

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 09:21:48 PM »
And Sik; to me it seemed as if Three 6 were playing stereotypes. They wrote a song on pimps and drug dealers and acted like thugs.

Well you do realize that the movie they did the song for was about pimps and drug dealers right?

As for how 3-6 carried themselves, I don't know them personally so I can't speak on it. In my opinion, they did just fine. Especially considering that they're ghetto as hell lol.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 06:26:27 AM »
And Sik; to me it seemed as if Three 6 were playing stereotypes. They wrote a song on pimps and drug dealers and acted like thugs.

Well you do realize that the movie they did the song for was about pimps and drug dealers right?

As for how 3-6 carried themselves, I don't know them personally so I can't speak on it. In my opinion, they did just fine. Especially considering that they're ghetto as hell lol.

I don't have a problem with the actual song (eventhough I could see it only being nominated because racist whites to laugh at black stereotypes). The interpretive dance didn't blend with the hip hop style performance but that's neither here nor there.

As for how they carried themselves; if I go to where they live and go to church with them on Sunday and hang out with just them afterwards and they dress up like that and speak like that a hype up everything then I'll retract what I said. Until then I'll see it as just another case of "keeping it real". I just find it odd that in a place where they tell everyone to get dressed up and stay dressed up that these guys were allowed to dress like that. Even the girl who sang the hook and played a whore in the film was dressed up and she looked fine singing that song. I don't think it would have taken anything away from the performance if they had suits on, particularly considering the interpretive dance involved. And I think they were allowed to dress up like that because who ever let them was counting on people laughing at them. I'm not upset with Three 6 because I think they are the victims in this. I think a lot of people won't say too much about it because the blacks won't go too far since they are street rappers and the whites will just pretend it wasa good fun time. If Terrence Howard had performed the song dressed like that then he'd be the victim of fury this week.

Trauma-san

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 06:33:19 AM »
I agree with Shallow and his opinions on the hypocricy of hollywood.  It's so blindingly obvious to me I can't believe nobody else is seeing it.  They don't want anybody to think *gasp* that they're racist, so they tip their hand by making a movie so blatantly made by a bunch of apologists.  People like this know nothing about the 3 6 mafia.  The fact that they gave them an award exposes their true intentions.  They didn't award the song they liked the best, or they thought was the best, they awarded the song they thought was politically correct to award.  That's fucking disgusting.

Like I said in the other thread, though, good for 3 6 mafia.  They're just as talented as some of the bullshit the academy awards each year. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:05 AM »
I agree with Shallow

Has Hell frozen over?

I know what you mean about the song too. I could even go so far and see a bunch of older academy members just seeing the song on the ballot, snickering, and voting for it because they want to see lower class black people dance around. It's no secret how blatantly racist Hollywood used to be, and the new Hollywood really isn't doing a good job of changing that. They either think they are and are just plain idiots, or they're just as racist and want to hide it but give enough hints to let people know.

Sikotic™

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »

I don't have a problem with the actual song (eventhough I could see it only being nominated because racist whites to laugh at black stereotypes). The interpretive dance didn't blend with the hip hop style performance but that's neither here nor there.

As for how they carried themselves; if I go to where they live and go to church with them on Sunday and hang out with just them afterwards and they dress up like that and speak like that a hype up everything then I'll retract what I said. Until then I'll see it as just another case of "keeping it real". I just find it odd that in a place where they tell everyone to get dressed up and stay dressed up that these guys were allowed to dress like that. Even the girl who sang the hook and played a whore in the film was dressed up and she looked fine singing that song. I don't think it would have taken anything away from the performance if they had suits on, particularly considering the interpretive dance involved. And I think they were allowed to dress up like that because who ever let them was counting on people laughing at them. I'm not upset with Three 6 because I think they are the victims in this. I think a lot of people won't say too much about it because the blacks won't go too far since they are street rappers and the whites will just pretend it wasa good fun time. If Terrence Howard had performed the song dressed like that then he'd be the victim of fury this week.

3-6 Mafia did dress up during the ceremony. They all had suits on. Why would they be wearing suits and tuxedos during their performance? Its not like they were walking around in jeans and t-shirts the entire time.

I feel bad for the poor academy. If they let 3-6 Mafia win, they're racist & they want to see a bunch of, in your words, low level blacks, dance around like fools. If they allow 3-6 Mafia to lose, then that means they didn't stand a chance and they nominated them just out of pity. Basically, the voters are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

To be quite honest, I think you guys are putting the stigma around african-americans moreso than the Oscars ever did.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »
I wonder what you guys would have said if Brokeback Mountain would have won?  Or how about Good Night and Good Luck?  Or a History of Violence? Or Munich?! Guess what?  All of these movies had "liberal" agendas.  With Brokeback people would have complained about the gay side about it, if Good Night and Good Luck people would have complained about the Iraq comparisons, if A History of Violence would have won, people would have complained about the effect of violence has in America.  How about Munich? LOL.  Please, give it a rest. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

History of Violence wasn't nominated.

Anyway, it's the agenda that bothers me. Good Night and Good Luck could have won because of an anti-conservative agenda and I wouldn't care because I think it was good enough to win. Capote could have won because of a pro-gay agenda and I wouldn't say a word because I'd feel it's good enough to win. I think Crash was below all the othere movies nominated and I feel the agenda got it nominated in the first place. I don't think it was that good a movie. BRokeback was with out a doubt pushed because it was pro-gay and if it were a straight cowbay going up to the mountains to cheat on his wife with a native american. black, or just some white girl it probably wouldn't have gotten any buzz but I would still think it's a brilliant movie and if it won I'd say nothing, gay or not gay. I didn't like Crash as much as everyone else did and do not think for a moment it was the best picture. But that's just my opinion. I just want to clarify that the politics are not what upset me.

3-6 Mafia did dress up during the ceremony. They all had suits on. Why would they be wearing suits and tuxedos during their performance? Its not like they were walking around in jeans and t-shirts the entire time.

I feel bad for the poor academy. If they let 3-6 Mafia win, they're racist & they want to see a bunch of, in your words, low level blacks, dance around like fools. If they allow 3-6 Mafia to lose, then that means they didn't stand a chance and they nominated them just out of pity. Basically, the voters are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

To be quite honest, I think you guys are putting the stigma around african-americans moreso than the Oscars ever did.

Maybe I am wrong, and maybe I sound like a member of the Nation but I find it a little too convenient that the award for best song would be present just after Three 6 performed and not given enough time to change even if they wanted to. I also don't see why the street clothes were needed in the first place. Taraji P. Henson played a whore and she dressed up nice. The interpretive dance took away any sense of the real streets anyway. Basically, I think the Academy set it up the way they did on purpose and I think Three 6 spends too much time trying to stay "gangsta". I could be wrong. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I still think they looked like idiots for not presenting themselves a little better, but that's just how I feel about formal settings. If a gay flamer shows up at something like the Oscars and pulls the whole "Hellooooooooo. Oh My GOD! You look Fahbulous!", or a southern white guy shows up with his "uh hyuk, uh hyuk" I see it as people who know how to act properly but choose to defy the norm for either the sake of defying the norm or to appease the people they know that may be watching. I'd say the same thing if Jessica Simpson won an Oscar and she played the dumb blonde role.