Author Topic: Canada Gets MTV Today (on basic cable)  (Read 1491 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Canada Gets MTV Today (on basic cable)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 08:13:48 PM »
^^ I spent the majority of my days in Winnipeg, Mb (about 11 years). I moved from Winnipeg to the states in 2002. And lived about 2 years in a small town in saskatchewan before moving to Mb. Of course in Toronto you can get bootlegs and mixtapes, but between in the prairie provinces you probably wont find shit. I was too young at the time for bootlegs and mixtapes anyway. But a year ago my frined told me Winnipeg got it's first hip hop/r&b station.

Suga Foot

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 08:14:01 PM »
Adon;

How about instead of setting up this board to make sure Canadian music gets played they use that money to create platforms and opportunities for Canadian music and television to strive. Then we wouldn't need a law to keep these things on the air, because the quality would be good enough that Canadians would want to hear and watch it. Putting music back in the school system in a major way would be a start. Hiring professional industry types and real musicians and TV writers/directors to come to schools. Set up a real Canadian concert venues that can be broadcasted on a real Canadian music channel and focus on talent rather than the second rate artists signed by the labels with power. And for God sakes put some money into Canadian TV production because every time I see a Canadian TV show it looks like it was made in a high school. I realize they want it to look distinct from American TV but when distinct means it looks like it's shot with a camcorder and edited on a Mac that is't a good thing. THere is so much to this country and the industry here is so shit that it'll never get properly exposed, unless some Canadian makes it huge in Hollywood as a director and producer and makes it a point focus on Canadian stuff as well as hte American stuff. Most Canadians that make it big aren't even known as Canadians. You tell the average American that Jim Carrey, Pam Anderson, or billionair director/producer Ivan Reitman are Canadian and they'll say something like "really?".

I agree with putting more funding into schools for music & art or whatever.  David Foster actually does quite a bit in Vancouver to help out the industry.  But honestly, without the 35% Canadian content rule, I wouldn't know half of the artists in Vancouver that I do.  And look at Videofact, they'll give money to any Toronto rapper for a music video.

Canadian TV is just frustrating as hell.  CBC films everything in the East just to keep people employed.  Vancouver is the 3rd largest center for film in North America.  Look at Lions Gate films, why not use them to film Canadian stuff? We have studios all over the place, we have the people and the abilities to make good film.  But barely any Canadian TV shows are made here. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:28:30 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well if they put money into the industry then they won't have any left over to put into the CRTC.

^^ I spent the majority of my days in Winnipeg, Mb (about 11 years). I moved from Winnipeg to the states in 2002. And lived about 2 years in a small town in saskatchewan before moving to Mb. Of course in Toronto you can get bootlegs and mixtapes, but between in the prairie provinces you probably wont find shit. I was too young at the time for bootlegs and mixtapes anyway. But a year ago my frined told me Winnipeg got it's first hip hop/r&b station.

Toronto didn't even get their first hip hop station until a couple years ago. So Winnepeg isn't far behind. But I'm going to assume the black population here is a lot bigger than in any other city in Canada and that's where a lot of the hip hop would come in from. Living in Toronto I never really got the Canadian experience. Toronto's just a less violent big American city. How's the saying go? There's Canada and then there is Toronto. What a pit this place is though. (Toronto, not Canada)

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
I think if Canadian artists actually put out good music there would be no need to for the CRTC to force us to have 1 out of ever 3 songs performed by a Canadian. Its not our fault that these artists are putting out garbage so why should we have to listen to them there are some exceptions though like K-OS put out some good tracks last year and even a few years ago Choclair and all those guys were putting out some good music, but nowadays whenever you put on The Beat 94.5 all you hear is garbage like Shawn Desmon and Keshia Chante.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:38:06 PM by V.Canucks »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:52:03 PM »
I think if Canadian artists actually put out good music there would be no need to for the CRTC to force us to have 1 out of ever 3 songs performed by a Canadian. Its not our fault that these artists are putting out garbage so why should we have to listen to them there are some exceptions though like K-OS put out some good tracks last year and even a few years ago Choclair and all those guys were putting out some good music, but nowadays whenever you put on The Beat 94.5 all you hear is garbage like Shawn Desmon and Keshia Chante.
The problem is that Canadian music businesses don't have the resources to heavly advertise any artists like American companies do. So the CRTC comes up with stupid ways to try and give local artists a chance.

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »
The problem is that Canadian music businesses don't have the resources to heavly advertise any artists like American companies do. So the CRTC comes up with stupid ways to try and give local artists a chance.

Yeah, I completely agree with that but i think they are better off giving the money to the Canadian Music Industry than the CRTC. That way they clould use it to promote our artists and that could help solve the true problem which is that Canadians don't really look at our artists the same way they do Americans because Canadian artists aren't making it big time, they can't because their labels don't have the money to promote them or to help make good music( good producers). If they are making good music then people will want to listen and therefore they don't need the CRTC to force us to hear them.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 12:46:41 AM »
The problem is that Canadian artists dont have talent  :laugh:

Suga Foot

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »
Yeah, I completely agree with that but i think they are better off giving the money to the Canadian Music Industry than the CRTC. That way they clould use it to promote our artists and that could help solve the true problem which is that Canadians don't really look at our artists the same way they do Americans because Canadian artists aren't making it big time, they can't because their labels don't have the money to promote them or to help make good music( good producers). If they are making good music then people will want to listen and therefore they don't need the CRTC to force us to hear them.

They do give money to the industry.  It's not hard to get funding for your label from the government. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

They do give money to the industry.  It's not hard to get funding for your label from the government. 

They also give money to athletes but Canadian athletics are a joke. I think we are all in agreement that Canadian music and TV would be better off if the government put all the money that goes to the CRTC into youth programs endorsing the arts rather than policies enforcing the arts.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »
i dont really even watch tv anymore these dayz just sports n  maybe tha occational show n thats about it

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Don Seer

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

you guys wanna know something really fucking funny and ironic (to me at least...)

the only country in europe that pulls BS stuff like this is CRTC is doing.. is france!!! 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »
^^Call me an idiot or unaware of dry british humor, but I don't see how that is ironic. ???

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 02:49:37 PM »

you guys wanna know something really fucking funny and ironic (to me at least...)

the only country in europe that pulls BS stuff like this is CRTC is doing.. is france!!!
^^Call me an idiot or unaware of dry british humor, but I don't see how that is ironic. ???

same here ???

They also give money to athletes but Canadian athletics are a joke. I think we are all in agreement that Canadian music and TV would be better off if the government put all the money that goes to the CRTC into youth programs endorsing the arts rather than policies enforcing the arts.

Real Talk

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »
I could be wrong, but i'm guessing he's likening it in reference to the french-canadian population?

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »
it just launched a few hours ago.  From what I read in the paper it looks pretty shitty. 

its canadian mtv lol
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008