Author Topic: Nas Drops New LP In September, Declares Hip-Hop Dead  (Read 1729 times)

Mr. Humonculous

Nas Drops New LP In September, Declares Hip-Hop Dead
« on: May 19, 2006, 05:01:38 PM »
Nas Drops New LP In September, Declares Hip-Hop Dead

Last night (5/18) Nas graced the stage at New York's Radio City Music Hall, capping off his short set by announcing plans to release his next album this September.

"I'm working hard for y'all, I got an album coming out in September," Nas told the crowd.

The Queens-bred MC, who recently signed to Def Jam, was a guest performer for new labelmates The Roots, during the first night of their two day performance at Radio City. Last night's show also featured Common, Talib Kweli and Big Daddy Kane. Comedian Dave Chappelle briefly graced the stage as well. The Roots second show is scheduled for tonight (5/19) with Erykah Badu, Mos Def, J.Davey and African singer Angelique Kidjo also performing.

Nas' September release, titled Hip-Hop is Dead, will be the first of two albums jointly marketed by Def Jam and Nas' previous label, Columbia. Nas and Def Jam president Jay-Z announced they'd deaded their beef at Jay-Z's "I Declare War" concert last October and in January the two furthered their relationship when Nas joined the Def Jam roster. With their partnership solidified Jay-Z has even raised the possibility that he might make a guest appearance on the new Nas release.

Hip Hop is Dead will be Nas' follow-up to 2004's Streets Disciple which sold some 694,000 copies according to Nielsen Soundscan. Billboard.com has also reported that Black Eyed Peas member will.i.am is also scheduled to record with Nas for the new project.

In related news, The Roots are also preparing their new Def Jam debut Game Theory, which is scheduled to be released late Summer 2006. Their first single "Don't Feel Right" dropped earlier this month.

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/9018

WestCoasta

Re: Nas Drops New LP In September, Declares Hip-Hop Dead
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 05:05:29 PM »
I really hope Quik has some production on this like was rumored earlier...

herpes

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »
i hope not, keep strictly ny.... and no salamm remi either.  How many titles has this album had so far.... the jones experience, nasdaq down jones, nigger, and now this one.

WestCoasta

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:11:30 PM »
i hope not, keep strictly ny...
I hope he has some on there and then you'll feel like a dick when it's the tightest shit u've ever heard  :D

Doggystylin

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
This fall should be a great time, Ill have some new Outkast, new Nas...thats enough for me...

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 05:28:45 PM »
lol at will i am
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

WestCoasta

herpes

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
I hope he has some on there and then you'll feel like a dick when it's the tightest shit u've ever heard  :D
nah I like quik hes a top 5 producer and hes >>> dre but I want this album to be strictly ny b/c thats what ny really needs.

Diabolical

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:05:15 PM »
lol @ deaded & will.i.gay

WestCoasta

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 06:35:42 PM »
nah I like quik hes a top 5 producer and hes >>> dre but I want this album to be strictly ny b/c thats what ny really needs.
I respect that and kinda agree.... I do think areas need to be clickin back up again in their respective regions

still wanna hear a Quik and Nas collabo tho, would be crazy

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 06:39:39 PM »
will.i.am helped kill helped kill hip hop.

We Fly High

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 06:46:32 PM »
The Roots second show is scheduled for tonight (5/19) with Erykah Badu, Mos Def, J.Davey and African singer Angelique Kidjo also performing.

haha wasnt nas the one that called roots porch monkeys or something. welll anyways, look out for J. Davey. theres a good chance that my label is going to be signing them soon.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
An album called 'Hip Hop Is Dead' featuring Will. I. Am.  :eh: :grumpy:

Eihtball

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 07:26:45 PM »
What the fuck is with these negative, pessimistic-sounding album titles?  I don't consider it a good sign when I hear artists just complaining about how bad hip-hop is instead of working to improve it.  Not that it'll have an effect on the music (I hope), but it's just stupid and lame...not to mention the fact that the album is out on Def Jam (the same label which made Young Jeezy a star) makes it hypocritical.

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »
i hope not, keep strictly ny.... and no salamm remi either.  How many titles has this album had so far.... the jones experience, nasdaq down jones, nigger, and now this one.

he was going to title one of his albums "Nigger"?