Poll

Who has done more for West Coast Artists?

E-40
2 (7.1%)
Mack 10
2 (7.1%)
DJ Quik
6 (21.4%)
Snoop Dogg
18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Who has done more for West Coast Artists?  (Read 487 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Who has done more for West Coast Artists?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »
If there was a way to go back and edit the poll to include an Other category, I would have...my bad. 

LMAO at Mack10 on the list.  Its Quik and 40 Easily, I dont believe Snoop is sincere in what hes doing so thats why I picked Quik and 40.  And no Dre has not done as much for the west as 40 or Quik, not even close actually

gotta disagree with you on this.  Between 97 and 2000, Mack 10 did a lot for up and coming and underground artists.  He brought MC Eiht (who nearly signed to No Limit the same time as Snoop) back into the spotlight and also brought CJ Mac out of wherever he was after he dropped his first album.  Then he promoted Techniec on pretty much all of the Hoo-Bangin' releases after Dubcc's God Snoop Dogg couldn't do anything with him.  Not to mention that if Hoo-Bangin' got more publicity, it could have been the new Death Row.  They had the talent and the distribution to blow up big, however it was lack of promotion that killed it. 

And I agree, I doubt Snoop is sincere about any of the shit he has said, becuase every time he says this stuff about "west coast unity" and "checking people who use the west coast for their own style", it comes out around the time he starts promoting an album, and on top of that, he'll work with people who exploit the West Coast and ignore artists on the West (See Rhythm and Gangsta).  Also, he purposely tanked the 213 and Dogg Pound albums so that he could start promotion on his new albums.

I voted for E-40 because he'll actually allow the young talent to shine, even if they're better than him.  He won't hold anyone back because of jealousy.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »
like it or not.. snoop dogg

whatthehell

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »
Where's the choice for Eazy E  ???

westkoastanostra

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »
If there was a way to go back and edit the poll to include an Other category, I would have...my bad. 

I voted for E-40 because he'll actually allow the young talent to shine, even if they're better than him.  He won't hold anyone back because of jealousy.

i agree

Trauma-san

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
DJ Quik, Mack 10, and E-40 are unknown.  They haven't done shit for westcoast artists outside of California.  Snoop Dogg has took broke rappers nobody has ever heard of on tour with him to other parts of the world, and had the record company pay them, AND HIM, for it.  It's not even comparable. 

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 09:18:35 PM »
DJ Quik, Mack 10, and E-40 are unknown.  They haven't done shit for westcoast artists outside of California.  Snoop Dogg has took broke rappers nobody has ever heard of on tour with him to other parts of the world, and had the record company pay them, AND HIM, for it.  It's not even comparable. 

E-40 unknown?? LMAO what the hell are you talking about and alot of people not from the west know Mack and Quik also, stupid post

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
H-Wood

The Best of 3 Worlds

BG Dresta

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
Suge Knight.

Suge didnt help em, he killed em.

But I choose Eazy-E

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2006, 10:45:59 PM »

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2006, 11:06:23 PM »
Dude, good topic, but one thing has to be clarified, Quik did not bring out AMG or Hi-C, those dudes did the majority of there own production, (AMG also discovered & produced female rapper boss) Hi-C actually had a deal before Quik, as well as a hit before Quik had one (I'm not your puppet). Quik initially did not like mausberg as a rapper(Even though we all know he was go blow up like Nitro), he was actually Blak Tones discovery as well as Suga Free. 2nd to none is the only group Quik actually played a major part in. Dont get me wrong, they were all crew, but they had there own individual movement's. Quik has not relly done shit for anybody, and before you Quik fans come with that groupie shit, let me explain. Quik could have had some of the coldest talent on the west-
Bishop Lamont-Passed on him
Young Dre-Passed on him
Spit Fiya-Slept on him
This cat had the head post at Warner and let Jim Jones come take his job. At the time Hi-C had the number 13 record in the country (Let me Know) and Quik aint fuck with him, he went and signed a cat from Louisiana. This dude makes cold ass music, but as far as helping people-please, dont get me started.

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2006, 11:11:07 PM »
And while you bullshittin Suge did the most. Aint nobody know none of those cats outside of Dre. Like him or not, he made those niggas household names.

Play Dirty

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2006, 01:30:29 AM »
Snoop handsdown..

Chronic and Doggystyle, he brought RBX, Rage, Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg to share his shine. Murder Was The Case is the reason I know DJ Quik, Tray Deee, Swoop G and all the artists featured there, Sam Sneed, etc. And then you follow their solo albums and discover more artist. Snoop put it on the map. He did the same for No Limit Artist but people in the states don't get that that is the biggest dude in rap worldwide. While Biggie and Pac were dissin' Nas they were biggin' Snoop up! Being seen with him helps your career if you're smart about it.

Doggfather put the LBC Crew on there, and once he brought his sound back west he stopped working with DPG coz “Money is thicker than blood”. I say he “Last Mealed” them. But he introduced westcoast producers to the game, Meech Wells, Jelly Roll, Battlecat, LT Hutton, among others.

He worked with more women westcoast rappers than others. At least they can put that on their CV’s if nothing else. There are guys we’ve heard of that we never would have heard of out side of US. He’s a generous dude but no one in hip hop wants to grow up.

Dre don't have to help the Westcoast. In 1996 the Westcoast betrayed Dr.Dre and co-signed what the late great Makaveli was saying.

Also, do you ever think that by working with Eastcoast and other artist Dre is actually proving to the rap industry that the Westcoast beat is superior. That's reppin' if there ever was. Coz eastcoast emulate and playahate, the major artists that is. That's why Wu Tang is quiet, artist are biting the West to sell records. The real east coast style has almost been abandoned, only Nas is doing it East and making an impact.

Even in South Africa we can see it!

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 02:25:59 AM »
Gotta go for Snoop. He made the West famous back in the Death Row days, and n ow he's trying to bring the West back.

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 02:29:23 AM »
Snoop Dogg.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 02:30:36 AM »
Out of those, it's definately Snoop and for these reasons:

- Snoop has been exposing new people on his albums and projects ever since he started out.
- E-40,DJ Quik and Mack 10 are largely unknowns outside of the USA, or even outside their coast. In all honesty, they couldn't bring shine to their own shoes, much less to anyone besides themselves. When do you actually hear something about E-40's numerous proteges? Never.
- Unlike the others, Snoop appeals to people that do not love westcoast rap, which means he has much more pull.
- Snoop has actually run away with other people's proteges and exposed them to much larger audiences, at least for some time. Need I mention Kokane and Suga Free to prove my point?
- Only when Snoop actually talks about promoting westcoast unity, genuine or not, do people actually get excited which must be saying something.

Oh and to correct a point made twice in this thread, Rage was NOT put on by Snoop. This was actually done by Dre himself. Snoop did revive her career (somewhat) in 2000 though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:10:40 AM by Z the laidback Virus »
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..