Author Topic: PS3 vs. Xbox 360 vs. Wii (live numbers inside)  (Read 3743 times)

Don Seer

Re: [sticky] PS3 vs. Xbox 360 vs. Wii (live numbers inside)
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 06:15:13 AM »
^ there is more to that too...

game production costs.. its going hollywood..

ps3. costs a lot to make a game. (typical 3 times a wii game).. and as it takes longer, and requires more skilled developers, artists & modellers. sony have notoriously poor developr support and its the only console with real new tech (the cell that is). blue ray.. ok can store gigs and gigs.. but its slow.. a classic trade off. ps3s hdd's can help somewhat with that.

plus points.. its open platform thing might spin it off in strange directions sony cant have planned for. personally with a killer HTPC (home theatre PC) type application it could be an absolute must have. this might come from the linux homebrew sector which means sony wouldnt see a penny outside console sales.. which.. doh!.. sell at a loss with the expectation that game sales will bring it in line.. oops!

360. somewhere in the middle. great developer support. xbox/directx experience carries right over.

wii. costs aren't a whole world different to the ones for xbox, game cube and ps2. also. platform development experience from GC carries right over. internally wii has a faster gen of cpu (powerpc again like 360 uses now too though not as quick) and the next gen of its GPU... result.. its a turbo charged gamecube. early titles are gamecube developments that were then souped up to rush to make the launch window. the next wave of games looks far more impressive (mario, project hammer etc..). and rumour is they've already been working on a full wii zelda for a year rather than the already impressive GC port.

what does this mean?

it means that IF someone makes a unique game for ps3.. it HAS to be a banger.. theres no half stepping.. EA type ports of 360 games etc will be tight no doubt, but not the peak of ps3 games.

result: less games available, they have to cost more as they cost more to make.  this scares people off. one saving grace is the demo download functionality (although not everyone has this).. so people can really try before they buy.
some games that come out on ps3 will be mindblowing, but there will be "shock & awe" titles too.. all graphics no fun.

360 again is in the middle. already making people a bit cautious about buying them, but not OTT.

wii games cost what xbox/ps2 games did.. theres a reaon they did "ok"..

shops also make more money on non sony games AND consoles.. (ps3 markup is virtually 0)..

ps3 may not "fall off" but this may end up being the most balanced round of the "console war" ever..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:17:32 AM by Seer - San »

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 09:42:32 AM »
Watching the news, I see no news stories on ps3's, other than  a few a couple weeks ago of people being stabbed. 

lol wut? i've seen ps3 cover stories on cnn, abc, and fox (and more than once on fox). my uncles were even discussin the ps3 and the whole blu-ray phenomena in particular, yet i doubt most non-gaming middle-aged people even kno wut a wii is. not that it counts against them, since the goal is marketing to gamers in the first place, but playstation's hype is impossible to kill at this point, regardless of their gigantic price tag. their launch was weak, they had resistance and like 5 sports games. but so was playstation and playstation 2's, and that has absolutely zero effect in the long run.

still, the ps3's disadvantages are huge benefits to the wii and 360... their pricing (even fox commented on the hefty price) and the fact that sony acted arrogantly to europe and even to some asian countries. so i agree that it is gonna be far more balanced this time around.

Don Seer

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 09:55:31 AM »
i doubt most non-gaming middle-aged people even kno wut a wii is. not that it counts against them,

oh they do man!.. not in the same numbers as the stereotypical 20s something male group does.. but they do..

i doubt most non-gaming middle-aged
since the goal is marketing to gamers in the first place,
wrong the goal with wii is to market to non-gamers AND gamers.. this has been well published.. check back on google news for things like "wii non gamers"..

you'd be amazed how many "older" people know about wii.. from the adverts through to womans magazines (for real) nintendo been pushing that hard.. just like with DS..

one more thing..

there is another factor too.. just like with DS.. the Wii is viral as fuck.. forums all over the net (check my wii links post) are filled with people saying they've sold 2 or 3 off of thanksgiving meetups with relatives..

now i KNEW it was fun the second i saw the controller and read about it.. but some people take more convincing.. (but hey i'm always a sucker for 'new controllers' like mind controlled mice etc.. lol)

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 10:48:25 AM »
wrong the goal with wii is to market to non-gamers AND gamers..

thats technically the goal for all 3, but their priority is always gonna be catering to their gamers despite wut marketing plan they say they have.

Don Seer

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 11:08:02 AM »
games like resistance, gears or COD etc dont appeal to non gamers.. but tennis, golf, bowling, baseball, boxing? theres a world of difference..

maybe thats why wii is the fastest selling console in the UK _ever_ ? and shit.. we've had little of the marketing blitz outside me annoying everyone :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:10:26 AM by Seer - San »

transmission

• Lil Geezy
  • Let's Get Random
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Compare:

PS3'ing Ourselves

The most anticipated gaming system since the telephone, pacemaker and PS2 blew our asses out. Here's the play-by-play from opening the box to playing for hours…to seeing a doctor about our blown-out asses. Read More...
Wii Love It!

Here's a simple, to the point review of the new Wii, for those on the fence still!

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »

ps3 may not "fall off" but this may end up being the most balanced round of the "console war" ever..

True.

Trauma-san

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »
I just disagree that the Ps3 is getting more press than the Wii.  I also disagree that older people don't know what a Wii is.  My point was reiterated again today... i'm in a bowling alley and somebody's watching Dr. Phil in the lounge... it's his annual Christmas show, and guess what he's doing in front of the largest projection television I've ever seen? Playing a Wii with his son.  His son beats him at Tennis, then Dr. Phil gave everybody in the audience of middle aged women a free Wii system for Christmas, they all went apeshit and some even started crying. 

Don Seer

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006, 12:52:09 AM »
lol @ that ps3 maxim article above saying..

"But, surprisingly enough, at this point the HD-DVD drive was more impressive than the gaming. "

uhh thats blue ray! lol ;)

Trauma-san

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2006, 08:34:47 PM »
Just thought I'd check in and....... YUP, the Wii is still killing the ps3.  All must be right in the world.

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2006, 08:57:31 PM »
come on 360!  8)
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Don Seer

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2006, 01:32:55 PM »

added http://www.vgcharts.org/ and live chart to first post

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:28 AM »

added http://www.vgcharts.org/ and live chart to first post
its funny how crappy the xbox 360 sells in japan... haha...

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006, 11:10:40 AM »
Keep in mind that the PS3 hasn't been released in Europe or Australia yet.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
Keep in mind that the PS3 hasn't been released in Europe or Australia yet.

Add New Zealand and 'everywhere else' to the list.

I'm surprised w/ the PSP numbers, that's not too shabby