Does Music Piracy Hurt Record Sales?

Yes, bootlegging is responsible for poor record sales
18 (75%)
No, it's promotion for the artists
3 (12.5%)
I'm not sure
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Does Music Piracy Hurt Record Sales?  (Read 822 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Does Music Piracy Hurt Record Sales?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »

i mean if eminem used to sell 10 million records now but is now sellin 3-4 million...i couldnt give a fuck because whiteboy is still gon be makin crazy paper

Encore didn't go 4.5 because of downloads. It went 4.5 because it wasn't as good as MMLP or Em Show. Both of those albums were downloaded as much as Encore. There were no super hit singles on Emcore to make MTV watchng teen girls buy multiple copies.

rayallen0

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 08:16:41 PM »

i mean if eminem used to sell 10 million records now but is now sellin 3-4 million...i couldnt give a fuck because whiteboy is still gon be makin crazy paper

Encore didn't go 4.5 because of downloads. It went 4.5 because it wasn't as good as MMLP or Em Show. Both of those albums were downloaded as much as Encore. There were no super hit singles on Emcore to make MTV watchng teen girls buy multiple copies.
are u motherfucking kidding me?
Just Lose It? Mockingbird?Encore?Like Toy Soldiers?Ass Like That?Mosh?

Elevz

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »

You really are thirteen, aren't you? By Eminem's standards, Mosh, Mockingbird and Encore weren't even remotely close to deserving to be called successful. Just Lose It, Like Toy Soldiers and Ass Like That certainly did grab the attention, but they ultimately didn't stick the way Em's prior successes have. If you're not thirteen, how can you not notice the blatent difference in impact?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »

Real Slim Shady, The Way I Am, and Stan were all super hit singles. With Out Me, Sing For The Moment, and Cleaning Out My Cloest, were decent hit singles living off the last three hits. The Encore singles were rip offs of rip offs and the sales showed that. More people downloaded Em Show than Encore, and more people bought Em Show than Encore.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 11:44:37 AM »

i agree, like i said in my post, the big stars are not as affected by downloading in my opinion as the average artist....however i do not believe the only reason he lost all them sales were due to wack singles and a wack album....no doubt that played a huge part but im sure he lost some due to downloading...but again like i said in my post above, its not cats like eminem who really get affected as badly

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 12:32:04 PM »
the quality of music huh...?  Chamillionaires album Ultimate Victory was a huge upgrade MUSIC wise to his previous album Sound Of Revenge but his sound scan numbers arent even close to PLATINUM, he reached PLATINUM with sound of revenge... why? because people are downloading his shit instead of making the trip getting in your car, catching the bus to go to best buy or your local record shop and spend 15$ on a CD.. so why not download a CD thats gonna be in CDQ and convienently save myself some time, money, and gas by downloading it.

and because of .Mp3 there is alot less $$$$$ for Record companys and Recording Artists in HIP HOP

the numbers don't lie.. your top hip hop artists arent doing the numbers they used to GOLD IS THE NEW PLATINUM

people in the ghetto, in lower class or lower middle class arent going to be buying no albums

so the quality of music is bad? shit back in the days u could go out and just buy a Single and that single would do BIG NUMBERS out on its own.. is that happening now? mp3.
i wouldnt say the quality of music is bad, hip hop has evolved u cant do the same shit u were doing 15 years ago, 20 years ago u go in the studio do an album and the album sound like u in 1988... the beats have evolved... the vocals harmony, word play, flow all these things have progressed but yet, Numbers are Down

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
the quality of music huh...?  Chamillionaires album Ultimate Victory was a huge upgrade MUSIC wise to his previous album Sound Of Revenge but his sound scan numbers arent even close to PLATINUM, he reached PLATINUM with sound of revenge... why? because people are downloading his shit instead of making the trip getting in your car, catching the bus to go to best buy or your local record shop and spend 15$ on a CD.. so why not download a CD thats gonna be in CDQ and convienently save myself some time, money, and gas by downloading it.

and because of .Mp3 there is alot less $$$$$ for Record companys and Recording Artists in HIP HOP

the numbers don't lie.. your top hip hop artists arent doing the numbers they used to GOLD IS THE NEW PLATINUM

people in the ghetto, in lower class or lower middle class arent going to be buying no albums

so the quality of music is bad? shit back in the days u could go out and just buy a Single and that single would do BIG NUMBERS out on its own.. is that happening now? mp3.
i wouldnt say the quality of music is bad, hip hop has evolved u cant do the same shit u were doing 15 years ago, 20 years ago u go in the studio do an album and the album sound like u in 1988... the beats have evolved... the vocals harmony, word play, flow all these things have progressed but yet, Numbers are Down

I mean quality as in pop quality. Great albums haven't sold ever on average. Bob Dylan barely ever went platinum and he has some of the greatest albums of all time. There was an album released this past August called The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter and it's better than anything I've heard in years, but it won't sell. Or get downloaded. Illmatic was better than Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em but that album sold more than Nas's entire catalogue. No one is talking about good artistic expression here. When I say sales are down because the music sucks, I mean catchy pop hooks. Compare Beyonce's album to some of those early Madonna albums. Like A Virgin, Material Girl, are easy to sing a long to and hum. Beyonce doesn't have songs like that. Shaniah Twain has back to back to back Diamond albums. That's three in a row. Take a look at the billboard top 100 singles in te 80s and take a look at the top 100 singles of the 2000s. You lived through the entire 2000s but I bet you'll know more songs from the 80s. And if the 80s never happened and those songs started being released now you'd see a more sales.

How often have hip hop albums that don't appeal to the white suburbs ever went multi-platinum any way? Doggiestyle, Hard Knock Life, Life After Death, etc all appealed to whites and were mostly bought by them. Just like recent albums by 50, Em, Nelly, and Outkast appealed to and were bought by whites. The ghetto never made rappers platinum. They always dubbed tapes or bought the bootlegs on the street corner.

rayallen0

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »

You really are thirteen, aren't you? By Eminem's standards, Mosh, Mockingbird and Encore weren't even remotely close to deserving to be called successful. Just Lose It, Like Toy Soldiers and Ass Like That certainly did grab the attention, but they ultimately didn't stick the way Em's prior successes have. If you're not thirteen, how can you not notice the blatent difference in impact?

just lose it was a super hit single is all i was saying...