Author Topic: Untitled - Ice Cube  (Read 1548 times)

Murrow

Untitled - Ice Cube
« on: September 19, 2002, 08:40:37 AM »
Ice Cube
Untitled
Aftermath Entertainment
Fall 2003

"Two of the biggest masterminds in West Coast hip-hop are together again," Ice Cube said with a rare smile Tuesday on the Los Angeles set of his latest film, "Torque." "I think that's something exciting."

As if Cube didn't have enough to be excited about with his movie "Barbershop" opening at #1 (see "Ice Cube's 'Barbershop' A Cut Above The Rest At Box Office"), the stone cold MC has once again aligned himself with Dr. Dre and is in the process of becoming an official member of the Doc's Aftermath label.

Cube and Dre rose to notoriety in the groundbreaking gangsta-rap group N.W.A, first appearing together on 1988's classic Straight Outta Compton. When Cube left the outfit in 1989, the two engaged in a war of words on wax only to squash their differences years later. Over the past few years, Cube and Dre have worked together on an occasional cut such as "Natural Born Killaz," "Hello" and "Chin Check," and also toured together as part of the 2000 Up in Smoke tour.

"[Me signing to Aftermath] was something that was kind of in the back in our minds for a while as far as Ice Cube's camp," Cube said. "We kind of felt around and saw if Dre would be interested in something like that. He was all the way with it. Once he was all the way with it, we just started working on putting the deal in place. We're in the process of making it work. Hopefully next year you'll see an album by Cube produced by Dr. Dre. For me it's exciting because my next album could be the best album I ever released. To me that's something that turned me on to where I just want to get on the mic."

In November, while promoting his film "All About the Benjamins" and about a month before releasing his greatest-hits album, Cube told MTV News that 15 years of the music grind was taking its toll on him and that he was leaning more toward Hollywood as a creative outlet.

"Not really burnt out on making music, it's just the routine of doing it year after year after year," he clarified. "What works out for me now at this point in my career is to take breaks in between the records and it builds up my hunger to kinda get back in there. That's what I been doing. Dre coming on and me not having to worry about musically what's going to happen on the record — I just focus on lyrics and songs and content — that excites me, to be able to take a little of that pressure off myself and let the master, which is Dre, handle it."

The pioneers haven't hit the studio yet, but Cube is already penning songs.

"I'm writing," Cube said. "[Dre's] doing music. He's also working on his album. We're trying to get [both albums] to come out around the same time. Tour together. Make it a big, full circle."

Cube said he and Dre probably won't be taking their careers a full 360 degrees by participating in a N.W.A reunion.

"As far as I know, that's not gonna happen no time soon," he said. "I don't even know if I want it to happen now because I don't want to mess up what we've already put together, our legacy. Why even tamper with it if it can't be a smooth thing? If it has to be forced it shouldn't be done."

Cube did do a little tinkering with the "Friday" franchise. He's bringing a little holiday cheer to the next installment, "Friday After Next," which hits theaters November 22. That film centers around the misadventures of Ice Cube and Mike Epps, who star as security guards at a mall around Christmas time. There's already talk of a sequel to "Barbershop," and with its $21 million opening weekend, fans can probably look forward to seeing Cube pick up a pair of clippers again.

"It feels good," he said of the film's success, beaming another smile. "It feels like movie audiences are finally getting comfortable with Ice Cube all the way, where they understand I'm gonna only be involved with good projects if I can help it."

"'Barbershop is a hell of movie," he added. "People that thought they was going in to see a comedy might have got sucked into the story. One thing about 'Barbershop,' when you leave, you just feel better about yourself."

Everything but the good times will be rolling in "Torque," in which Cube plays a biker gang leader out to avenge the death of his brother. The project is the first feature film from music video director Joseph Kahn.

(musictelevision )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2003, 11:32:21 AM by Murrow »

Sikotic™

Re: Untitled - Ice Cube
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 06:41:38 PM »
I'm fiendin for this to drop. WE WANT THE OLD CUBE BACK!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Murrow

Re:Untitled - Ice Cube
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 03:53:18 PM »
Cube just said on BET that he is hitting the studio next month, (December).

Pillow

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 09:13:46 PM »
yea i cant wait for his next album, it shoulda be off tha hook for real

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 01:23:52 AM »
MY MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2002, 01:24:34 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2002, 03:12:07 PM »
faints.......lol damn i cant wait, but u know ice cube will be comin into the studio n will bring weak and wack as fuck ryhmes with him.......then dres plans of releasin a album is like summer/winter 2003 are gonna blow kuz dre n cube are gonna have to work hard at gettin the best out of each other again to bring back the good shit................................so it'l be out in like 2004 hopefully........would be dope if it came out earlier though........but like damn...............a new ice cuber cd on aftermath.......shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit who wudda though, its gon be dope

Murrow

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 09:15:36 AM »
It was reported that Mike Dean himself posted @ DPG Recordz forum and said DRE bought tracks from him for the Rakim & Ice Cube albums.  

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 10:30:38 AM »
wont happen before 2004  >:(

Murrow

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 11:52:18 AM »
Ice Cube Puts Chill On Dr. Dre's Supposed Final Album
12.16.2002 7:56 AM EST  

Ice Cube has put a chill on Dr. Dre's supposed final album.

Dre has pushed back the release of his highly anticipated Detox from next summer to the end of 2003 in order to produce his former N.W.A partner's next release.

Cube and the good doctor entered the studio two weeks ago and have already laid down a couple of beats.

"I haven't heard him on the mic just yet," Dre said. "He's got a couple of tracks that I think are banging, so I'm just waiting to see what he is going to come with."

Cube's as-yet-untitled album is due next summer and will be released on Dre's Aftermath label (see "Dr. Dre To Produce Next Ice Cube Record").

Meanwhile, Dre has been working with newcomer 50 Cent, who also signed to Aftermath, in a joint deal with Eminem's Shady Records (see "50 Cent Worth A Million To Dr. Dre And Eminem").

"Me and 50 got in the studio for the first time and we worked together for like five days and we did seven joints," Dre said on the set of 50 Cent's "In Da Club" video. "Six of them went on the album and one of them is out right now on a mixtape."

Like Eminem (see "Eminem Aims For Dre-Like Perfection On 50 Cent, Obie Trice, D12 LPs"), Dre has more than a few kind words to say about the Queens, New York, rapper.

"50's album, in my opinion, is going to compete with all the classic hip-hop records that have come out over the last 10 years," he said. "Illmatic, The Chronic, Marshall Mathers LP, it's right up there. And that's no bullsh--."

Dre has also been recording Rakim, whose Aftermath debut is due next year, and logging ideas for Detox, which he has said will be a concept album of sorts (see "Dr. Dre's Final Album Will Be Hip-Hop Musical"). "I'm gonna try to make this one the one they remember me for," he said Wednesday.

Once his album is finished, Dre plans on hanging up his solo-artist hat and focusing on his career as a producer, most likely working alongside his protégé Eminem.

"[We're] studio rats, we love being in the studio, making hot music," Dre said. "We are definitely going to put our all in everything that we work on because we are our worst critics and we have to feel like we made a record that we have to buy. You know what I'm saying? And I don't buy a lot of records."

—Corey Moss, with additional reporting by Heather Parry

Murrow

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 09:07:58 AM »
Regarding Ice Cube's Aftermath debut, Battlecat divulged, "I think Cube is going to do something fantastic this time around...we're developing his new sound and his new expression...."

Jome

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2002, 05:26:59 PM »
Regarding Ice Cube's Aftermath debut, Battlecat divulged, "I think Cube is going to do something fantastic this time around...we're developing his new sound and his new expression...."

Why is Battlecat acting superhero from the West now?
All he's been doing is creating similar beats all the time..

Murrow

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2003, 11:33:10 AM »
next month I`m going to do music. I`m doing my album with Dr. Dre, so movies are going to be forgotten about for a while. I`m signing with his company Aftermath, he is going to produce the next record. I don`t even want to think about movies no more until the album is done with.

TiNmaN

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • De ja Vu in this piece
Re: Untitled - Ice Cube
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2003, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm fiendin for this to drop. WE WANT THE OLD CUBE BACK!!!

Keepin it REAL

Name may b differnt, but tha HaMMer still haz to b dropped.

Newly accquired battle recored: 2-4

Rag_J

• 'G'
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 09:47:14 AM »

Why is Battlecat acting superhero from the West now?
All he's been doing is creating similar beats all the time..

Like Dre haven't, lol

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 02:11:07 PM »
lol tru but dre done alot of shit for the west.............but i still feel battlecat......i mean alot of his shit sounds similar but alot of producers have a signiture sound n battlecat is one of them...........but its jus not as addictive as others.........but ya always need a battlecat track on a westcoast release.....no doubt

peace