Poll

What do you prefer; content or flow

content
flow
both

Author Topic: content VS flow *POLL*  (Read 2093 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: content VS flow *POLL*
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »
ya gotta have both.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
I voted for content.  The flow is something that can be fine-tuned but the content for the most part stays the same with most rappers.  Of course, this has a lot to do with selling records(selling out) and label intervention and the fact that most rappers are not the smartest muthafuckas out there.  So content is far more important in the overall scheme of things like how the culture is perceived and how it negatively effects and encourages ridiculous behavior at times.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
I voted for content.  The flow is something that can be fine-tuned but the content for the most part stays the same with most rappers.  Of course, this has a lot to do with selling records(selling out) and label intervention and the fact that most rappers are not the smartest muthafuckas out there.  So content is far more important in the overall scheme of things like how the culture is perceived and how it negatively effects and encourages ridiculous behavior at times.

so to you content can make up for a whack flow?

Chad Vader

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
I voted for content.
The flow is something that can be fine-tuned but the content for the most part stays the same with most rappers.
Of course, this has a lot to do with selling records(selling out) and label intervention and the fact that most rappers are not the smartest muthafuckas out there.
So content is far more important in the overall scheme of things like how the culture is perceived and how it negatively effects and encourages ridiculous behavior at times.

For some reason (most of) these "so called content rappers" got "monotonous flow"....
No passion in their delivery  :-\.....
I'm not talking about cats like Paris or Boots Riley  ;)
But for some reason they ain't labeled as "content rappers"....
I assume it's because their production is funk inspired not jazz  :P :-X it beats me.  :-[

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »

Depends on the content and what kinda flow they have.  Give me an example.

I voted for content.
The flow is something that can be fine-tuned but the content for the most part stays the same with most rappers.
Of course, this has a lot to do with selling records(selling out) and label intervention and the fact that most rappers are not the smartest muthafuckas out there.
So content is far more important in the overall scheme of things like how the culture is perceived and how it negatively effects and encourages ridiculous behavior at times.

For some reason (most of) these "so called content rappers" got "monotonous flow"....
I assume it's because their production is funk inspired not jazz  :P :-X it beats me.  :-[

Yeah someone like Common has good content but it's hard to sit through an entire album of his.  And obviously there are others.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »

I voted for content.

Yeah someone like Common has good content but it's hard to sit through an entire album of his.  And obviously there are others.
that's not true !!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Chad Vader

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »

I voted for content.

Yeah someone like Common has good content but it's hard to sit through an entire album of his.
And obviously there are others.

I canīt sit trough even one track  :P.... The first track on "Be" got a dope beat.... thatīs all that kept me listening.... the rest of that album was a snooze fest  :-\
So if you ask me his "content" donīt make up for his boring flow  :P

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »

I voted for content.

Yeah someone like Common has good content but it's hard to sit through an entire album of his.

I canīt sit trough even one track  :P.... The first track on "Be" got a dope beat.... thatīs all that kept me listening.... the rest of that album was a snooze fest  :-\

damn that's dissapointing to hear.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »

I voted for content.

that's not true !!!!!

What's not true?

Chad: what about some of his earlier work like Resurrection?

Chad Vader

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »

I voted for content.

damn that's dissapointing to hear.

Itīs all a opinion though,thereīs probably rappers out there that canīt keep your attention either for some reason... be it their content,their flow or voice.  ;)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
true but they got to be at least wack.

EFFeX

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 11:52:42 AM »
What's the purpose of having a tight flow if you are constantly spitting verbal garbage. Same thing with content, you could be saying the realest words ever spoken, but if it sounds like a garbled mess on the beat, I'm not listening. They go hand in hand, ain't no separation for me.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
I would say that flow is more important. I can't listen to some lil wayne faggots even if he would have good lyrics. Everything should be in balance though, that's for sure.

agreed

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »
I dont think Common was the best example, Mos Def is

flow is more important to me

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Ese Torsido

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
Content is the most important when creating music. You need to get your ideas across, what you want to say within a time limit. Aside from Supernatural, I do not know of any rapper that can spit for a good damn 30 minutes. Flow outruns content in a flash second. Without a flow, you can't make metaphors, punch lines, rhyme schemes or even take a breath.

Being a lyricist, I know how hard it is to balance both content and flow in a single verse. If you want to prove to them you the shit, by all means, bring out the weaponry, the wits, but how to use them is the challenge. You can't just throw shit to the listener as garbage. Consider your bars and the way you deliver them to a degree before you put anything on wax. Otherwise, your content will be all off, and your overall flow will meander like a drunkard.

Generally, it's flow. If you want ultimate artistry, you need both.