Author Topic: Damn...I DJ'd at Centennial High in Compton last night.....  (Read 1132 times)

Ghetto187

• 'G'
Re: Damn...I DJ'd at Centennial High in Compton last night.....
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:09 AM »
Whats Wrong With This New Generation? Doesn't Anyone Care About Lyrics Anymore? Fuck That Southern Shit (Besides The Geto Boys & UGK) But 95% Of That Music Is Wack Club Shit. All These New Songs Are Fuckkin' Love Songs, No Wonder Why All These Kids Are Such Pussies. I'm About To Be 21 This October 26  8) & I'm Glad That I Was Alive During Raps Best Era  8)

Also WTF Is IT With These Niggaz That Be 30 & Over Bumping Lil Wayne? Fuckkin Sell Outs  ::)
How To Smoke Weed!

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »
Whats Wrong With This New Generation? Doesn't Anyone Care About Lyrics Anymore? Fuck That Southern Shit (Besides The Geto Boys & UGK) But 95% Of That Music Is Wack Club Shit. All These New Songs Are Fuckkin' Love Songs, No Wonder Why All These Kids Are Such Pussies. I'm About To Be 21 This October 26  8) & I'm Glad That I Was Alive During Raps Best Era  8)

Also WTF Is IT With These Niggaz That Be 30 & Over Bumping Lil Wayne? Fuckkin Sell Outs  ::)

Do you think anyone at the party will care about the lyrics? All the people wanna do is get drunk/fucked up and freak some girls....  There is proper music for each situation/environment

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
DJ's are in a great position to educate the younger crowd, i wish more dj's would play one less known track and then a more popular one.

Then just keep alternating using that pattern.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Shamediddy

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
I remember I told the DJ to throw on Lets Play House at this college party and everybody stopped dancing

shit was embarassing

h2k4

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »
I remember I told the DJ to throw on Lets Play House at this college party and everybody stopped dancing

shit was embarassing

LOL.

R-Tistic: Have you played K. Dot's "Hater" song?  Curious to see what the response is on that one.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »

shit was embarassing

LMAO yeah...it just all depends on the crowd. I would never try it on a 21 and under crowd...has to be AT LEAST 20, 21+, and preferably 25-35. I played it a few times and it went hard for that crowd.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »
DJ's are in a great position to educate the younger crowd, i wish more dj's would play one less known track and then a more popular one.

It just takes hella balance, and it has to sound somewhat familiar to them. I may do like 1 older but known track every 5-8, then 1 that they may not know every 20...because the crowd can turn on you fast as hell. You can make em dance hard for 15 tracks in a row...but they'll hear that one they don't like and be like "WTF is this?" It also depends on the type of event and all too...not all songs are meant for all events.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »

It just takes hella balance, and it has to sound somewhat familiar to them. I may do like 1 older but known track every 5-8, then 1 that they may not know every 20...because the crowd can turn on you fast as hell. You can make em dance hard for 15 tracks in a row...but they'll hear that one they don't like and be like "WTF is this?" It also depends on the type of event and all too...not all songs are meant for all events.

yeah that is true, the type of crowd willl play a huge part.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
Ya I feel ya'll on that. "Ain't No Fun", "California Luv", "What's My Name?!(Who Am I)","any tone loc shit, "Bop Gun", "Let Me Ride","G-Thang", "Made Ni$#az", "Hail Mary", any mixalot shit, "Hotel", "Sprinkle Me", all dat shit still gets the club crowd active even if they don't know it. Tistic I remember you from wcrydaz and tjs djs, how's it been bruh? You still make beats?

Everything's been good. LOL I haven't made a beat since last year....I am sure I'll get back on it, but no time soon.

Dj.Thirrzty

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Dj.Thirrzty - BigHouse Records'Artist/FutureStarDJ
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
What fast paced westcoast songs go.... whereever any other dj is at on this board when they play it in the club or at a party? I'm'a bump 'Turf Drop' at this dance I'm djin' this weekend and they a fickle crowd. Because they fickle to the type of music they like (it's gotta be more or well known and danceable, I've dj'd there 3 times so far so I got a feel for the type of crowd), I can't really get too westcoast on them, but along the lines of turf drop, tell me when to go, what's out there that's so hot? I always wanted to try supersicwidit but I think it might just sound great live in concert. Bay/L.a/friggin' Seattle, whatever idea's ya'll got, throw 'em out. Oh I'll try haters from g.malone as well.
DJ.THIRRZTY
OWNER:THIRRZTY BRAND ENT.
DJ: FUTURE STAR DJ'S
Arist: Big House Records
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/DJTHIRRZTY
http://www.datpiff.com/DJthirrzty-Tastemaker-Tonite-DJs-Future-Star-D-mid15174.html

Maully aka [Fitted Da Boss]

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Karma is A Bitch...Know That!
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
hell no some of em don't know a damn thing...i met somebody that was born in like 92 or 93...and he said ice cube wack...i know he dont know much but damn...

Ya Boy Is Off The Wall, These Other Niggas Is Titoooo!

MarshColin

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »
I think it may be different at other schools though...if I did a HS event somewhere in the suburbs, the kids would probably look at me like I was playing some damn Barry Mandelow or somethiin. For y'all...does it seem like the youngsters know anything about, or care anything about the 90's music?

When I first started DJ'ing in clubs 2-3 years ago, all I would play was old school rap and r&b and the people loved it. That was at a 21 & up club/bar. Lately I've been doing this club every Friday night that is 18 & up and when I drop some shit like California Love I'll get a good response from about a quarter of the crowd and then a super mediocre response from the rest of the crowd like "wtf is this song?" or "why is he playing this old bullshit?" So it's definitely changing as we get older.

Honestly though, as a DJ I've found that when I'm spinning, I get way more into the songs that crowd likes if they're into it, even if the shit is wack as fuck. I mean there's no point in playing Gin & Juice and clearing the dance floor and feeling like an idiot when I could toss on Flo-Rida "In The Ayer" and have the whole crowd going nuts throwing their hands up and shit. It gives you a rush when you have the crowd moving like that. I tend to keep my personal tastes to myself when it comes to dj'ing, and because of that, I've become a better DJ as far as reading a crowd and knowing what to play when and it's really advancing my career.

My advice to all you wannabe dj's out there, when it comes to rockin' crowds, play whats hot today, and keep the throwbacks to a minimum.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
I think it may be different at other schools though...if I did a HS event somewhere in the suburbs, the kids would probably look at me like I was playing some damn Barry Mandelow or somethiin. For y'all...does it seem like the youngsters know anything about, or care anything about the 90's music?

When I first started DJ'ing in clubs 2-3 years ago, all I would play was old school rap and r&b and the people loved it. That was at a 21 & up club/bar. Lately I've been doing this club every Friday night that is 18 & up and when I drop some shit like California Love I'll get a good response from about a quarter of the crowd and then a super mediocre response from the rest of the crowd like "wtf is this song?" or "why is he playing this old bullshit?" So it's definitely changing as we get older.

Honestly though, as a DJ I've found that when I'm spinning, I get way more into the songs that crowd likes if they're into it, even if the shit is wack as fuck. I mean there's no point in playing Gin & Juice and clearing the dance floor and feeling like an idiot when I could toss on Flo-Rida "In The Ayer" and have the whole crowd going nuts throwing their hands up and shit. It gives you a rush when you have the crowd moving like that. I tend to keep my personal tastes to myself when it comes to dj'ing, and because of that, I've become a better DJ as far as reading a crowd and knowing what to play when and it's really advancing my career.

My advice to all you wannabe dj's out there, when it comes to rockin' crowds, play whats hot today, and keep the throwbacks to a minimum.

As I've said to many people before...I started doin beats 13 years ago, but never wanted to be a DJ because I've always hated the typical commercial mainstream "program people to like" type of tracks...and I knew I'd hate havin to playin these songs versus songs that are truly good, classic, or whatever else.

The breaking point that made me decide if I would REALLY become a serious DJ or not was when Soulja Boy dropped "Crank dat." I can't explain how much I hated the song, and when I was doin my homegirl's birthday just with a Windows Media playlist and speakers, I was like "I am NOT playing this garbage!!!!" but since she begged, I dropped it, and all the lil females were goin wild on it. At that point, I was like fuckit...I know I gotta play BS if I want to really DJ...but just to keep myself happy and motivated, I'll just figure out how to mix it up enough and play enough of what I like that I know the crowd will love.

I realize every crowd is different...but I am still gonna be true to what I feel is dope and "good" regardless of the crowd...so for every few Soulja Boy, crunk, snap, bland songs I play, I gotta play something either classic or brand new that needs exposure just to balance it out...and I'll only play it if I know I can get away with it. If I know the crowd will stop dancing, then I definitely won't drop it...but chances are, if you mix it in right and they are familiar with it, they'll roll with it. And for my 21+ crowd...they love basically anything I play, whether it's brand new or classic old shit

Dj.Thirrzty

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Dj.Thirrzty - BigHouse Records'Artist/FutureStarDJ
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:31 PM »
real talk @ last two posts r-tistic 'n' coma.
DJ.THIRRZTY
OWNER:THIRRZTY BRAND ENT.
DJ: FUTURE STAR DJ'S
Arist: Big House Records
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/DJTHIRRZTY
http://www.datpiff.com/DJthirrzty-Tastemaker-Tonite-DJs-Future-Star-D-mid15174.html

HimselfTheMajestic

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
yo r-tistic you got a sight to peep your mixes or beats?