Author Topic: So LeBron finally gets called on a travel play (+ LeBron speaks out on it)  (Read 900 times)

OchoCinco

Re: So LeBron finally gets called on a travel play (+ LeBron speaks out on it)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
Anyways, if any travel was to be called now, you guys would probably complain how the refs are trigger-happy with the whistle and take the flow out of the game.

Not really. Unlike fouls, a travel is a call that is NOT subjective. Notice how nobody, not even Cavs fans, are actually arguing that it wasn't a travel.

The reason people complain about how much refs blow whistles on fouls is because those actually are subjective, and thus bias/influence can actually be seen in the refs' calls. Plus the fact that the league really is softer nowadays.

exactly.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
The problem is, that all the players have been conditioned to travel. Cause if you can travel without a whistle being blown, you have an advantage. Why the hell would you try your hardest not to travel, if you can be a more effective scorer if you do?

Exactly.

I would do the exact same shit if I were LeBron, or any player who gets away with it for that matter. So if now all of a sudden the league would decide to call every tiny travel, the consequences would be crazy, cause some players would have to change their style of play drastically, while becoming less spectacular and less effective in the process.

No doubt. But from what i've seen here in Europe, after a couple of months american players (coming from the NBA) learn how to dribble properly. If they really want to do it, they'll just have some problems in the first couple of months, but the advantages are that: 1- players will learn fundamentals, 2- U.S. National team will not struggle in International competitions anymore, 3- more NBA players could play in Europe, and viceversa, with less problems of adaptation. I'm not a fan of NBA not adopting FIBA rules. They should just adopt FIBA rules cause basketball should have the same rules all over the world, like soccer, volley and other major global sports.

^ The problem with that is the fact that players AREN'T conditioned to travel. LeBron might be used to getting away with it, but I highly doubt Mike Brown goes to LeBron during time-outs and says, "Hey LeBron, on this last play, I want you to drive to the basket. Feel free to travel, the refs probably won't call it." Especially considering that after the 2006 play-offs, all the sports programs were pointing out that LeBron got away with traveling. So if anything, I would think Bron would be under advisement to be more careful when it comes to traveling.

Yes, LeBron has gotten away with it several times in his young career, including key moments such as in this particular game. Like several people already stated, that sure as fuck does not mean he should continue doing it. It just means he should praise the Lord that he didn't get caught, and STOP doing it.

Now I do realize that the refs are to blame for LeBron's mentality when it comes to traveling, but can you guys just stop and think about what you're arguing for a second? You're literally justifying that players should get away with illegal moves just because they have in the past. That's like saying the refs should let Bruce Bowen get away with his dirty ass defense, considering that the reason he still does it is because he's gotten away with it in the past.

Bottom line is that the Wizards never traveled on crucial plays against the Cavs, and Cavs should not be given a fuckin advantage in this department.

Hold on, i'm not saying that. I'm saying that it was hypocrite for the refs to call a travel play on LeBron on the last possession of the game when they intentionally ignored at least a dozen of other travel plays done by LeBron before the last one. The call was right, but the ref was hypocrite. What i'm asking is the NBA refs to call travels on EVERY single possession, so when they call it on the last one, they won't look so hypocrite.

yo antonio, no shit refs miss tons of calls each week. its like the nfl, theres a holding call on every play but it doesnt always get called. its a matter of if u see the foul or violation then you should call it. its u saayin that a ref should see the travel and not do anything is wat makes me question u.

Naw, if it's travel it's travel, and you have to call it. What i don't drink is the fact NBA refs are just incompetent. No, they intentionally ignore some situations. And they intentionally didn't ignore the last possession. That's wrong. Cause refs shouldn't decide a game. Refs gotta call travel player EVERY TIME THERE'S ONE, and not just when they feel is ok to call it.

The calls have to be consistent, which ever way it is. Either call nothing, or call everything. If I'm the player and my traveling gets never called, I damn sure am going to travel in the last play. It's an advantage. My offense is stronger when I can do more steps with the ball. It's silly to not call travels until the last play and then decide the game by calling it. The problem is the consistency.

Exactly, again.

Anyways, if any travel was to be called now, you guys would probably complain how the refs are trigger-happy with the whistle and take the flow out of the game.

That's why they don't call it on every possession. But it's wrong. I'm sure an american dude can't watch an European game for more than 10 minutes anyway.

Not really. Unlike fouls, a travel is a call that is NOT subjective. Notice how nobody, not even Cavs fans, are actually arguing that it wasn't a travel.

The reason people complain about how much refs blow whistles on fouls is because those actually are subjective, and thus bias/influence can actually be seen in the refs' calls. Plus the fact that the league really is softer nowadays.

If so, we both should agree that it was wrong to INTENTIONALLY ignore all the travel plays done by LeBron till the one of the last possession. And refs should have called them. Do you?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
If so, we both should agree that it was wrong to INTENTIONALLY ignore all the travel plays done by LeBron till the one of the last possession. And refs should have called them. Do you?

they know its true, but they will never admit it. :grumpy:

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

Of course I agree that it's wrong to intentionally ignore a travel play. Traveling is illegal and you have to call it. From the first possession to the last possession.

But whether or not they're really ignoring travel plays intentionally is debatable. This whole time I thought the refs were just incompetent, but who knows.

wcsoldier

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
This is a travel simple and plain ... the Cavs and Lebron should not said a word .... he get away with travel on TWO GAME WINNERS in the FUCKIN PLAYOFFS against the Wizards in 2006 ..

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
haha he went at lebron and lebron didnt reply back
but jay-z did
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:40 AM »

Of course I agree that it's wrong to intentionally ignore a travel play. Traveling is illegal and you have to call it. From the first possession to the last possession.

But whether or not they're really ignoring travel plays intentionally is debatable. This whole time I thought the refs were just incompetent, but who knows.

money. refs are retarded. it's not like the concept of them allowing travels is accepted. as far as the rules go, they should be calling every single one.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:49 AM »

Naw it's not. Refs knows how to see a travel play (actually an amateur ref here can see them, and i'm not even talking about pro's). And i know what i'm talking about since my father used to be an Euroleague/FIBA ref, and he went to the States too, to refs the Military Games (or something like that), and american (NBA) refs knew the rules. They just intentionally ignore most of them, cause the NBA wants the game to be more spectacular than in Europe. Stern's call. That's the truth. And that's why i'm calling them hypocrities.

Anyway.. it's enought. It was a travel play, it's all good, Cavs didn't steal the game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:24:33 AM by Antonio »