Author Topic: Death Row’s New Owner Speaks  (Read 1497 times)

EFFeX

Re: Death Row’s New Owner Speaks
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
This is great news! I hope she rebuilds the label.  She sounds like she wants to move in a positive direction.  Lets hope she signs Tha Realest and puts his albums out.  Pac passed him the torch at the Tyson fight now it's time for him to run with it.  She should also sign Crooked I, Mac Shawn, Top Dogg, Soopafly, Daz, Roscoe, Eastwood, Nate Dogg, Young Keno, Warren G, Ya Boy, and let Kurupt oversee the projects and come correct.

What's the point man? Who cares about signing to "Death Row", it's NOT Death Row Records anymore. Yeah same name, but everything about the label is different now. What does she offer artists that have spent years trying to escape that name? To me, Death Row is just a library of music now, it's not a real label. People associated Death Row with being "gangster" or whatever, now it's owned by a Canadian soccer mom, that's cool and all, but seriously. Signing to the label JUST for the logo? Na...

love33

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »
This is great news! I hope she rebuilds the label.  She sounds like she wants to move in a positive direction.  Lets hope she signs Tha Realest and puts his albums out.  Pac passed him the torch at the Tyson fight now it's time for him to run with it.  She should also sign Crooked I, Mac Shawn, Top Dogg, Soopafly, Daz, Roscoe, Eastwood, Nate Dogg, Young Keno, Warren G, Ya Boy, and let Kurupt oversee the projects and come correct.

What's the point man? Who cares about signing to "Death Row", it's NOT Death Row Records anymore. Yeah same name, but everything about the label is different now. What does she offer artists that have spent years trying to escape that name? To me, Death Row is just a library of music now, it's not a real label. People associated Death Row with being "gangster" or whatever, now it's owned by a Canadian soccer mom, that's cool and all, but seriously. Signing to the label JUST for the logo? Na...

When it was ran "gangster" post 1998 we got a total of zero new solo albums from active artist, one dogg pound album that was solid, 3 old pac albums with a bunch of words cut and edited, a 2pac live album that featured a 14 second track, snoop dead man walkin and greatest hits, and a total of three compilations that featured the new artists...oh yeah, throw in that kurupt album that they didn't want released and it flopped.

That style didn't exactly work.  I'm all for the music being released in high quality digital format so we can actually hear the songs instead of just typing and dreaming about them on internet forums the past decade.  I'm all for someone who wants to help rap and advance the west coast.  She probably is a soccer mom, but what is Jimmy Iovine, a thug? I would rather actually hear the songs from the artists than beg people for snippets on the internet and low quality versions that surface out of someone's attic.

EFFeX

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

When it was ran "gangster" post 1998 we got a total of zero new solo albums from active artist, one dogg pound album that was solid, 3 old pac albums with a bunch of words cut and edited, a 2pac live album that featured a 14 second track, snoop dead man walkin and greatest hits, and a total of three compilations that featured the new artists...oh yeah, throw in that kurupt album that they didn't want released and it flopped.

That style didn't exactly work.  I'm all for the music being released in high quality digital format so we can actually hear the songs instead of just typing and dreaming about them on internet forums the past decade.  I'm all for someone who wants to help rap and advance the west coast.  She probably is a soccer mom, but what is Jimmy Iovine, a thug? I would rather actually hear the songs from the artists than beg people for snippets on the internet and low quality versions that surface out of someone's attic.

I'm saying though what's the point of signing to the label? She should just release the old music... A lot of the artists you mentioned have had quite successful careers without Death Row and certainly don't need it at this point.

EFFeX

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »
Should just release all that unreleased shit in volumes and in digital format only. Have some exclusive iTunes deal or something. No point in attempting to get that shit in retail stores since only the hardcore fans would pay attention to it and would download it anyways. It would basically advertise itself. That's what I would do, doubt it would cost much either.

Yup, but if I were her, I'd set up some kind of digital download site run by her company as well as iTunes. I'm with you though digital is the best way to go with this, but she should most certainly sell hard copies of albums.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
lol

Not Likely

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:02 AM »
Live Row > Death Row

hrsmn_london

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
love33

Kurupt's album. Can it really be called a flop? Was there any proper promotion for this record?

I think Kurupt has already left the label when it'd been released.

The_Offence

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »
death row is now canada bound  ;D at a soccer mom
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:06:17 AM by The_Offence »

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
I hate to sound like a stan, but honestly, if her plans don't involve unreleased Crooked I music I don't even care. We've got the Dre music, the Snoop, the DPG, the Pac, etc... Let's hear some Crook now.

Hahahahahah thats whatsup  ;D

EFFeX

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 10:20:29 AM »
Should just release all that unreleased shit in volumes and in digital format only. Have some exclusive iTunes deal or something. No point in attempting to get that shit in retail stores since only the hardcore fans would pay attention to it and would download it anyways. It would basically advertise itself. That's what I would do, doubt it would cost much either.

Yup, but if I were her, I'd set up some kind of digital download site run by her company as well as iTunes. I'm with you though digital is the best way to go with this, but she should most certainly sell hard copies of albums.

That would be a waste of money and resources in my opinion, no point in competing with iTunes since you would only have those specific tracks. It helps that iTunes now offers DRM free music.

I feel you... I'd still want the option for hard copies though if they are selling unreleased albums though. You can burn stuff to blank CDs, but that's not always the same.

BTW: Amazon been had DRM free music... that's why I don't fuck with iTunes.  8)

MediumL

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
If they put it on Itunes they best make sure its available for UK users  ::)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

love33

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
love33

Kurupt's album. Can it really be called a flop? Was there any proper promotion for this record?

Kurupt was still with the label as VP but the label had its sights set on pushing Petey Pablo as their next big release.  Koch had a pile of Kurupt tracks they sent them and told them they wanted Kurupt's album released next and Tha Row pulled back and said they weren't going to release it.  Koch released the album anyway because they were tired of waiting with horrible promotion and it flopped harder than any solo album the label ever released.  Important tracks were left off like Danny Boy's lead feature track that was supposed to be huge called "One Thangs Fo Sure" (he had 2 versions of the song), "No Vaseline Pt. 2," etc.  The Lil Jon, R Kelly, and Ice Cube guest appearances were left off and the project got completely screwed up.

This is why I said in my earlier post what was so great post 1998 when the company was run like this.  The only album that ever made any impact on the charts was Chronic 2000 (sold 700k which is platinum because it's a double album), and Dogg Pound "2002" debuted at #36 with that "Change The Game Remix" single with Jay-Z, Beanie, and Memphis.  Daz left right before they dropped "2002" and he didn't support it but Kurupt supported it 100%, but you can't have a tour or solid promotion when 1 of the 2 artists don't support it.  Those Pac albums were successful because Interscope pushed it hard and Pac's name was still heavy.  They messed that project up by editing out Wendy Williams disses and replacing Kurupt with Trick Daddy.  There was a huge arguement between Afeni and Suge because Suge wanted to put Tha Realest on there and Crooked I, and Afeni wanted minimal contributions from the newer artists so only a few made it on there like SKG and Nina (Lefteye).  Also, "Death Row" was actually beeped out on many tracks as requested by Afeni.  So the album had some tracks shouting out the label, then you had different rappers on there like Trick Daddy, and then there were other tracks on the same album with "Death Row" bleeped out.  So many things were messed up at that label.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:16:42 PM by love33 »

EFFeX

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
love33

Kurupt was still with the label as VP but the label had its sights set on pushing Petey Pablo as their next big release.  Koch had a pile of Kurupt tracks they sent them and told them they wanted Kurupt's album released next and Tha Row pulled back and said they weren't going to release it.  Koch released the album anyway because they were tired of waiting with horrible promotion and it flopped harder than any solo album the label ever released.  Important tracks were left off like Danny Boy's lead feature track that was supposed to be huge called "One Thangs Fo Sure" (he had 2 versions of the song), "No Vaseline Pt. 2," etc.  The Lil Jon, R Kelly, and Ice Cube guest appearances were left off and the project got completely screwed up.

This is why I said in my earlier post what was so great post 1998 when the company was run like this.  The only album that ever made any impact on the charts was Chronic 2000 (sold 700k which is platinum because it's a double album), and Dogg Pound "2002" debuted at #36 with that "Change The Game Remix" single with Jay-Z, Beanie, and Memphis.  Daz left right before they dropped "2002" and he didn't support it but Kurupt supported it 100%, but you can't have a tour or solid promotion when 1 of the 2 artists don't support it.  Those Pac albums were successful because Interscope pushed it hard and Pac's name was still heavy.  They messed that project up by editing out Wendy Williams disses and replacing Kurupt with Trick Daddy.  There was a huge arguement between Afeni and Suge because Suge wanted to put Tha Realest on there and Crooked I, and Afeni wanted minimal contributions from the newer artists so only a few made it on there like SKG and Nina (Lefteye).  Also, "Death Row" was actually beeped out on many tracks as requested by Afeni.  So the album had some tracks shouting out the label, then you had different rappers on there like Trick Daddy, and then there were other tracks on the same album with "Death Row" bleeped out.  So many things were messed up at that label.

I'm pretty sure Kurupt's "diss songs" were pulled off the album, because Kurupt had just signed a DPG reunion deal with Koch and they negotiated the removal of the songs from AGT. Suge obviously didn't want the diss songs removed, so he boycotted the album on the Death Row website.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 01:46:08 PM »
^^^Kurupt was long gone when the album was finally released and I believe the only reason Koch could release it without DR's consent was because of contractual agreements.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

EFFeX

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
^^^Kurupt was long gone when the album was finally released and I believe the only reason Koch could release it without DR's consent was because of contractual agreements.

That's what I'm saying though, Kurupt already joined back up with DPG. So, the fact that DPG was dropping new music on Koch they were able to manipulate the release and get the diss records removed, so Suge was heated.