Author Topic: Am I the only person on here that doesn't feel DJ Quik's beats  (Read 813 times)

Paul

Re: Am I the only person on here that doesn't feel DJ Quik's beats
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
rhythmalism = best production on a rap album ever imo. i give it up for 2001 as well but rhythamalism is my absolute favourite.

quik proves with this latest release that he hasn't lost a step.

100% agree, +1
funkyfreshintheflesh

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »
Quik is not overrated imo.quik is a musical genius.he tries things other producers wont,so people want to say he fell off or what ever.Guess some people love that repetitive ass sound Dre gives them

On point!

DIP DIP SET SET

WestCoastPrince 24

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
Man fuck this!!!
QUIK is the BEST producer ever!!!  :sign_wrongforum:

Invincible

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
Man fuck this!!!
QUIK is the BEST producer ever!!!  :sign_wrongforum:

What the fuck you talking about? How is this the wrong forum?

Matty

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:25 PM »
it really depends on your musical preference, but i'd say mixing wise 'the appeal' is easily a step above what any other producers are doing these days.

quik + g-one = crack 8)

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
Sometimes his music is overactive and busy-sounding.  Undisciplined.  I feel he's better in the concept department than in execution.  Dre on the other hand doesn't really come up with any dope musical concepts anymore, at least not for the past, what, 9 years?  But he's the master of execution.  I think Quick makes westcoast music for westcoast people whereas Dre makes it for the entire world, if that makes sense.  Quik is the definition of local.  He's really at his best when he's giving his beats to other artists to work off of, because when he is in charge of his own stuff from concept through to final mastering, I feel that's when he lets his creativity get the best of him and the end-product turns out to be a bit messy.  I mean the beats on BlaQKout are nice, but they start to give you a headache after a while, because they're over mastered and crafted.  Whereas Relapse, and Dre in general, doesn't push the envelope as much, but is much more accessible and enjoyable in the long run because Dre is much more disciplined as an artist not to get carried away with his $hit.  It's a fine line, but Dre has really honed his craft despite the fact that he's run out of music ideas (hence the reason Detox keeps getting delayed indefinitely...he has no more musical ideas).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:44:40 PM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 06:48:58 PM »
Sometimes his music is overactive and busy-sounding.  Undisciplined.  I feel he's better in the concept department than in execution.  Dre on the other hand doesn't really come up with any dope musical concepts anymore, at least not for the past, what, 9 years?  But he's the master of execution.  I think Quick makes westcoast music for westcoast people whereas Dre makes it for the entire world, if that makes sense.  Quik is the definition of local.  He's really at his best when he's giving his beats to other artists to work off of, because when he is in charge of his own stuff from concept through to final mastering, I feel that's when he lets his creativity get the best of him and the end-product turns out to be a bit messy.  I mean the beats on BlaQKout are nice, but they start to give you a headache after a while, because they're over mastered and crafted.  Whereas Relapse, and Dre in general, doesn't push the envelope as much, but is much more accessible and enjoyable in the long run because Dre is much more disciplined as an artist not to get carried away with his $hit.  It's a fine line, but Dre has really honed his craft despite the fact that he's run out of music ideas (hence the reason Detox keeps getting delayed indefinitely...he has no more musical ideas).

good post

Matty

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
yeah good post. a similar idea can be expressed by a quik quote where he says dre makes pop music whereas his stuff is more underground...

Moe

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
you are not alone. i dont either.

Muhfukka

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
i like alot of quiks shit but yes he is overrated by certain europeans on here. and also i cant stand his voice and flow, shit pisses me off sometimes i have to turn it off

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 08:36:59 PM »
Like every great producer, Quik has his signature sound, a very distinct style...I kinda see why he might be criticized for not switching his style up more often, but to each their own I guess. His classic sound is well defined and it sounds great, but my favorite DJ Quik beats are the ones that kinda move away from his signature style. The Trauma album in my opinion was damn near perfect, he had a crazy blend of his old style with new sounds, new ideas. I can't remember the last time I heard an album sound so fresh.

That joint he did on Jay's "Black Album" is another example. He brought a different type of funk to that track, it had a bounce to it that is different from his usual material.

h2k4

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
I felt like Quik's best work was from "Quik Is The Name" to Safe + Sound".  Not to say that everything after that sucked but I didn't get into that pimp style, groovy type beats he got into.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 12:17:14 AM »
yeah good post. a similar idea can be expressed by a quik quote where he says dre makes pop music whereas his stuff is more underground...
lol! both make accessible music: blaqkout is a great example of that

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 01:59:10 AM »
Quik's the best wc producer imo + he is hiiiighly underrated. he makes wack south beats tho

Paul

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 05:23:32 AM »

good post
funkyfreshintheflesh