Author Topic: Why do people act like doggystyle was snoops  (Read 3149 times)

West Coast Veteran

Re: Why do people act like doggystyle was snoops
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
Tha Doggfather was not a good album, it was a HUGE disappointme and all his other albums as well but he does have classic songs since Doggystyle. I wonder how Daz/DJ Pooh/Soopafly couldn't create a classic like they did with Dogg Food with their production. Snoop's flow fell off dramatically as well on that album thats when he switched from that sing songy flow (Doggystyle, Dogg Food) to the talking flow...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
My point of the thread was to point out snoop is an over rated artist.Doggystle was a collective effort and if you took snoop off that project and inserted another emcee in his parts while snoop played the side role the album would still be a classic.I made the thread because kept defending snoop as some great artist because he made doggystyle when 70 percent of that albums greatness was because of others output.Snoop could never make a classic album if it was up to him by himself which he has proved throughout his career
I see other posts in this thread I'd like to reply to but the ignorance in this comment deserves the most immediate attention. 70 percent of the album's greatness is because of other people? Then why exactly did they give it to Snoop? You can argue all day about how much you think he did or didn't fall off after whatever album but nobody was fucking with Snoop back when that album was being made. If it was the whole fucking group, they would have given the whole fucking group the next project as "Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound". It's very hard to give people the proper context to view events from the past (especially when a decade and a half has gone by) but Snoop sold that fucking album. Anybody who thinks they could have just thrown Joe Nobody on that Gin & Juice beat and got the same result is either ill-informed or just straight lying to themselves. Snoop made those fucking songs what they were. Did other artists contribute to it? No doubt but you wouldn't have got the same result if you gave the same beats to Kurupt and had him push out a solo album. If everyone was equal, Snoop would not have been the guy on Deep Cover or nearly everyone of The Chronic's singles (matter of fact, where there any singles that didn't have Snoop?). Yes, Dre helped mentor the guy but it wasn't like he grabbed some no-talent chump off the street and said, "Here, we're gonna spend all our time and money into making you a superstar". If the major ingredients behind The Chronic and Doggystyle were only 30% Snoop and 70% everyone else, why the fuck did they keep handing the torch to Snoop?

As far as making a "classic album" by himself. Here is kind of a return to my original point. You keep bringing it up like so many fucking rappers have made a "Doggystyle" on their own without a producer or their own crew. Who has fucking done it? Snoop hasn't made another Doggystyle because albums like that don't fucking happen everyday. You're a fucking one in a million artist if you get one. There's maybe a handful of rappers in the world who have made albums on that level. It's not just talent. Luck and timing play a huge part as well. Your argument was that Doggystyle would never been the album it was if Snoop wasn't surrounded by all the right artists and producers. My rebutal to that was that that is every fucking classic album or movie. Talented people aren't all these do-it-yourself geniuses who scoop up novices and make art out of thin air. They are people who are smart enough to surround themselves with other talented people.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
if your not really battle cat you should probably shoot yourself in the face.
get the nuts biiiyatch...i dont talk ta hoes with dick on they breath...

I mean i like the mans beats as much as anyone but you cant just try and assume a niggas identity...thats corny.

2euce 7even

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2009, 04:16:46 AM »
you can say tha same about "the chronic" too and the typical "dre-hate talk" would be:
"dre didnt do shit on tha chronic"
lyrics (writers): snoop doggy dogg and the d.o.c
rapping: snoop doggy dogg, dat nigga daz, kurupt tha kingpin, rbx, the lady of rage, warren g, etc.
production: daz, warren g, the glove,etc.

Okka

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2009, 04:26:30 AM »
Doggystyle, Doggfather, and Blue Carpet Treatment were classics albums

No Limit Top Dogg & Tha Last Meal > Blue Carpet Treatment

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »
Gza out-did 36 chambers....some people think Raekwan did too

2pac out-did Me Against the World...and THEN out-did All Eyez

Quik's first 2 albums are classics to me but Safe N Sound was his best (3rd album)

and after long debate, i've decided that NWA's Niggaz4life is a better overall album than Str8 Outta Compton

For GZA and Raekwon, their debuts are Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (which are their best albums). 36 Chambers is a Wu Tang album and doesn't count as their individual debut, otherwise you might as well call The Chronic Snoop's debut.

Never really got into Quik myself. I think only his first album could even be considered a classic. The word classic means an album that is influential and has stood the test of time. His first album was the most well recieved by people in general (though you may have a different personal opinion)

Niggaz4life only was better in terms of production. You are the first person I have met who actually thinks its a better album, most people believe they weren't as good without Cube.

As I said in my first post, Pac is one of the only rappers I can think of who managed to put out a classic album and then outdo it. Mobb Deep have as well. But its hard to come up with examples, which is the whole point. Snoop is no more different then the majority of rappers in that they are unable to put out an album to even come close to their debut.

GZA had an album out before Liquid Swords

Easy Mo Bee produced it
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jaydc555

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »
They gave it to snoop because he was the artist they were pushing next.Whenever deathrow had an album coming out suge made everyone on the label get behind it and put their best work into it instead of saving it for their own album

Jimmy H.

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
They gave it to snoop because he was the artist they were pushing next.Whenever deathrow had an album coming out suge made everyone on the label get behind it and put their best work into it instead of saving it for their own album
And you think they just decided to push him next because they pulled his name out of a hat or he won a game of rock, paper, scissors in the studio? It seems an odd coincidence that Snoop not only got the first solo album after The Chronic but was also the focal point of a movie/soundtrack project after that.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
LOL

also the murder trial didn't hurt his popularity ratings
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »
Here's what I don't get about snoop.The man is a star,a legend.He doesn't need to conform to whatever is popular to sell.His best music is always made with dre and dpg members.But what does he do?Whatever is popular.He's a sellout to his artistry.Its so frustrating seeing someone that could be so much better become an industry whore who will work with whoevers hot at the moment.Since he left death row he's become such a joke.People still buy his albums just off the strength of doggystyle.

fo real.

Will_B

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
Time Line:

Deep Cover (Dre's the star, launches Snoop) --> Chronic (Dre feat big Snoopy, a missive hit) ---> Doggystyle (Snoop feat DPG, a massive hit) --> Dogg Food (DPG get theirs too).

Any compalints? No. :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:48:17 AM by Will_B »

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
I dont agree whatyou think ? Tupac dint have enouuuugh people behind hi for all eyez on me? and biggie  for ready to die get the fuck outta here.
Its funny sometimes when people( fans)  talk abuot the music like they realy know what goes on.

To create a  classci record or even a good ecord it takes a lot of different people to make it work not just one.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »
Gza out-did 36 chambers....some people think Raekwan did too

2pac out-did Me Against the World...and THEN out-did All Eyez

Quik's first 2 albums are classics to me but Safe N Sound was his best (3rd album)

and after long debate, i've decided that NWA's Niggaz4life is a better overall album than Str8 Outta Compton

For GZA and Raekwon, their debuts are Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (which are their best albums). 36 Chambers is a Wu Tang album and doesn't count as their individual debut, otherwise you might as well call The Chronic Snoop's debut.

Never really got into Quik myself. I think only his first album could even be considered a classic. The word classic means an album that is influential and has stood the test of time. His first album was the most well recieved by people in general (though you may have a different personal opinion)

Niggaz4life only was better in terms of production. You are the first person I have met who actually thinks its a better album, most people believe they weren't as good without Cube.

As I said in my first post, Pac is one of the only rappers I can think of who managed to put out a classic album and then outdo it. Mobb Deep have as well. But its hard to come up with examples, which is the whole point. Snoop is no more different then the majority of rappers in that they are unable to put out an album to even come close to their debut.

GZA had an album out before Liquid Swords

Easy Mo Bee produced it

yeah but it was whack to begin with and no one noticed it so it doesn't count

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »

They gave it to Snoop because the industry was buzzing about him off his appearance on Deep Cover. Neither Kurupt, Daz, Lady of Rage or RBX ever had the same amount of buzz, though they were also pushed by Death Row. This alone should tell you that his talent had a great deal to do with his success.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
Really other than DPG, coming after Doggystyle and then 2pac being signed shortly after and dropping his albums spelled no albums for everyone else. I have no doubt in my mind if Rage would have dropped shortly after Afro Puffs took off she would have been a household name.