Author Topic: Chargers release LT.  (Read 602 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Chargers release LT.
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816850a6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The slashing, dazzling runs came less frequently. The yards didn't pile up as easily as they had in previous seasons.

LaDainian Tomlinson was slowing down because of injuries and age, and his role was reduced in a pass-happy offense.

Paul Spinelli / Associated Press
LaDainian Tomlinson is among four of the NFL's top 10 all-time leading rushers to have played for one team -- although that fact likely will change this offseason after the Chargers released him.

Top 10 all-time rushers in NFL history
Player Rushing Yards Teams
1. Emmitt Smith 18,355 Cowboys, Cardinals
2. Walter Payton 16,726 Bears
3. Barry Sanders 15,269 Lions
4. Curtis Martin 14,101 Patriots, Jets
5. Jerome Bettis 13,662 Rams, Steelers
6. Eric Dickerson 13,259 Rams, Colts, Raiders, Falcons
7. Tony Dorsett 12,739 Cowboys, Broncos
8. LaDainian Tomlinson 12,490 Chargers
9. Jim Brown 12,312 Browns
10. Marshall Faulk 12,279 Colts, Rams
On Monday, Tomlinson was released by the San Diego Chargers, a franchise he helped revive with a brilliant nine-year run in which he became one of the NFL's greatest running backs.

The move had been expected for some time. And Tomlinson, one of the most beloved athletes in San Diego sports history, officially received the word during a meeting with Chargers president Dean Spanos.

"I told him that in the 26 years that I've been in this business, it was probably the hardest thing I've had to do," Spanos told The Associated Press. "I'm not close to a lot of the players, but there's a handful that I've been close with, and he's probably the closest. It was really difficult to tell him. But out of respect, I wanted to tell him earlier rather than later."

Spanos said Tomlinson "was very, very gracious and very respectful" during their meeting.

"He had his typical smile," Spanos said. "He was just as good as could be, as respectful as could be. Just really, like he is, first class."

Tomlinson, who turned 30 last summer, was injured early in the 2009 season and finished with 730 yards on 223 carries for an average of 3.3 yards per attempt, all career lows. He was due a $2 million bonus in early March, which all but guaranteed he would be cut loose by the Chargers, even though he still had two years left on a contract that he reluctantly reworked last offseason.

"It was a longtime coming, but I knew it was coming," Tomlinson said in a telephone interview with SI.com. "Now that it's official, I can kind of look to the next step in my career and playing football for someone else."

Tomlinson wants his next team to have a proven quarterback who can produce a Super Bowl championship.

"That's my No. 1 goal," Tomlinson said. "That's why I still work hard and train like I do, because I still believe there's a chance of winning that championship. So the next team I go to has to have a chance of winning a title. I can think of a few teams off the top of my head, but that's what my agent is for. I'm sure he's going to do some research, talk to some teams and present some options to me."

Tomlinson's agent, Tom Condon, said he'll spend time at the NFL Scouting Combine this week in Indianapolis determining other teams' interest in his client.

"I think they (the Chargers) did us a favor in terms of releasing him before we go to the combine. That part of it was positive," Condon told the AP. "L.T. during Super Bowl week had indicated it was time to move on, and they accommodated him. He's had a Hall of Fame run there as a Charger."

Condon doesn't believe Tomlinson is finished playing in the NFL.

"It's one of those things with the very, very special players, like Emmitt Smith, Marcus Allen, guys like that," Condon said. "You can't predict what they're going to do. They seem to defy the odds. He keeps himself in tremendous condition. I think he feels like he can go forward for several more years."

Tomlinson told SI.com that he probably would hold a news conference Wednesday to thank the Chargers and their fans.

"He was one of the greatest players and people that I've ever had a chance to be around, and he will be missed," Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman said in an e-mail to the AP.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates told NFL Network that Tomlinson's name is the first that comes to mind when discussing the franchise's rebirth.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith called Monday "a tough day, a sad day for everybody in the organization. But it's always tough to part ways with great players who helped you win games. It's not a pleasant day, but we're working through it."

Tomlinson ranks eighth on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 12,490 yards. His 138 career rushing touchdowns rank second, and his 153 total touchdowns rank third.

Tomlinson was the NFL's MVP in 2006, when he set league single-season records with 31 touchdowns, including 28 rushing, and 186 points. Tomlinson won the NFL's rushing title in 2006 and '07.

Perhaps Tomlinson's most memorable moment as a Charger came on Dec. 10, 2006, when he swept into the end zone late in a game against the Denver Broncos for his third touchdown of the afternoon to break Shaun Alexander's year-old record of 28 touchdowns.

Tomlinson's linemen hoisted him onto their shoulders and carried him toward the sideline, with the running back holding the ball high in his right hand and waving his left index finger, while the fans chanted "L.T.! L.T.!" and "MVP! MVP!"

» Fantasy take on L.T.'s release "He's just been a great player for us," Smith said. "Also, the character, integrity, work ethic, along with his talent, have been unbelievable. He's a Hall of Famer right now. He will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer."

Coming off a 1-15 finish in 2000 and trying to dig out from the nightmarish Ryan Leaf years, the Chargers held the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft. They sent that pick to the Atlanta Falcons on the day before the draft began for a package that included the fifth pick, which they used to select Tomlinson. The Falcons took quarterback Michael Vick with the top pick.

"When he came here in 2001, we were a struggling franchise," Spanos said. "It's clear that we are where we are today because of him. He truly has been the heart and soul of our team all these years and just done an outstanding job and helped turn this franchise around into a winning franchise. It couldn't have been done without him."

Spanos said he and Tomlinson expressed disappointment that the running back never had a chance to win a Super Bowl in San Diego.

"We came close but just never quite got there," Spanos said.

Tomlinson has similar regrets and told SI.com that watching his former quarterback, Drew Brees, win the Super Bowl with the New Orleans Saints earlier this month motivated him even more.

"I was so excited for Drew, but at the same time, it made me even more hungry to win a championship," Tomlinson said. "I'd like to get things worked out early in free agency, but I want to take my time to make sure the next place is right for me."

The Chargers made five playoff appearances during Tomlinson's tenure. They advanced to the AFC Championship Game following the 2007 season but lost to the New England Patriots.

The Chargers gave an overly optimistic prognosis about Tomlinson's injury, announcing that he "can return," which caused fans and commentators to question the running back toughness.

Tomlinson was always the most brutally honest employee in the Chargers' organization. When he sustained a groin injury during the 2008 regular-season finale, he was more forthright with the media about its severity, causing Smith to bristle.

That groin injury sidelined Tomlinson during a divisional-round loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the first time he missed a game because of injury during his pro career. He had been slowed earlier that season by a toe injury.

Tomlinson sprained his right ankle during the 2009 season opener against the Oakland Raiders and missed the next two games.

alright, picture this...

Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Shonn Greene &...LT!

greatest backfield in NFL history. ;D

lol, he won't be a Jet, but i can see him going to a contender, contributing & getting him a ring.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Chargers release LT.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:16:42 AM »
I wonder what his best fit would be, and what he's looking for. If he's looking for cash then maybe Washingston. If he's looking for a best chance at a ring then the only teams I could see in the hunt next year that have room for a back like him are Dallas, Indy, Green Bay, and maybe that's it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
he's a shoe in for the Hall; his goal should to be lock up a ring to take with him.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
he's a shoe in for the Hall; his goal should to be lock up a ring to take with him.

Him, Randy, and Ed Reed should all go with Peyton and the Colts can go back to back 19-0 seasons. Then they can all retire at once.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

Him, Randy, and Ed Reed should all go with Peyton and the Colts can go back to back 19-0 seasons. Then they can all retire at once.

i wonder if they team up like that; especially if they're all looking for a ring.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »

i wonder if they team up like that; especially if they're all looking for a ring.

In Indy, not likely. That organization isn't the type and I couldn't see Manning leaving anywhere, but in Minnesota it could very well happen. Imagine Farve, Moss, AP, LT, and Reed on that team. Reed would be the unlikely one because if he stays he'll probably stay in Baltimore. But then you have to wonder if LT and Moss would go there. Flacco is decent and with Moss added to the mix he could look more than decent.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
westbrook released also, theres like a split in philly, about LT, i think if philly can get him cheap they will be all about it... but i think there are teams out there that will pay him more... westbrook should just retire though

HipHopISalive

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
isnt ed reed retired because of medical reasons... i heard if he takes another huge hit theres a big possibility he could die ???
CHARGERS, BLAZERS, CANUCKS, UCLA

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:54 PM »
lt has fallen off in the last couple years
how they gon let this duke get into the hall of fame?
might have broken records, but hall of fame?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »

Not that many RBs get called the best player in the league any season should be in the Hall of Fame. The only one I question is Shaun Alexander. LTD gets in for sure.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
yeah but hes fallen off like crazy'
his game is not the same
dont hof-ers keep it g'd up?
a couple of years ago maybe but
you think he should be in?
i know alot of em dont make it but he really needs to come back and show n prove to be in otherwise as of right now he shouldnt make it based of everythin

Not that many RBs get called the best player in the league any season should be in the Hall of Fame. The only one I question is Shaun Alexander. LTD gets in for sure.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
I can see Houston signing him

he's def a shoe in for the hall and well deserved too
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
his game is not the same
i know alot of em dont make it but he really needs to come back and show n prove to be in otherwise as of right now he shouldnt make it based of everythin

Go look at Marcus Allen's career. He was a bona fide first rounder in the hall of fame.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
I can see Houston signing him

he's def a shoe in for the hall and well deserved too

Maybe you can get him in Tenn. Imagine a two back offense where every play is a QB bootleg with CJ on his right and LT on his left. VY could keep the ball, or dump it in either direction.

The three of them would look like Darth Vader and those two ships taking down the resistance in A New Hope.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 09:27:51 PM »
his game is not the same

LT will make the hall of fame.