Author Topic: Ice Cube Speaks On Forthcoming 9th Studio Album..."I Am The West."  (Read 1365 times)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
http://icecube.com/users/icecube/blogs/138811

I AM THE WEST
Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM By: Ice Cube

I AM THE WEST...is the name of my new record. After completing about 65% of my music, this is the perfect title. This shit is cocky, no apologies, West Coast gangsta shit. I can't help it. That's what I do. June seems too tight for a release, but July is very doable. We'll see how things go. Now that I have my title, I can work on the concept of my photoshoot and artwork. I want to provide early merch before the drop date.

For 7 or 8 years now the West Coast has been trying to do music that appeals to the South and Mid-West. The words, "too West Coast" would be heard throughout the industry whenever our music was played. Even by our own dj's. Left coast MC's were now trying to change their sound to cater to all the followers. We lost our way. Thank God for b-boys like Snoop, The Game & WC for keeping the West alive, but we were all guilty of over reaching. No more. At least not from me. I do it how I feel it; not how I think it should be done. Radio fucked us up. I hate the politics at radio. I don't know who to pay to get my shit played. Having a hot song is not enough. Ridiculous.

I AM THE WEST. It's coming....

Keep It Gangsta
Ice Cube

With the southern influence in his last two records maybe he should rename it to "I Am The SouthWest."  :P

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing it.  Should be solid.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Ice Cube Speaks On Forthcoming 9th Studio Album..."I Am The West."
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
LOL i have nothing but respect and admiration for cube, but his last 2 albums were ass for the most part...i dont care if your RAPPING about gangsta shit..that doesnt make it west..i want a west coast soundscape, west coast FEEL to the beats..not that locs on bullshit with jeezy, or that awful lil jon track...dude is guilty himself of the catering to the south shit...

BigNeckBone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Drama means nothing, it's part of tha game
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
Nice to see Cube dropping some new shit for this summer. Hopefully he will bring that Westcoast sound
<a href="http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif</a>

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
http://icecube.com/users/icecube/blogs/138811

I AM THE WEST
Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM By: Ice Cube

I AM THE WEST...is the name of my new record. After completing about 65% of my music, this is the perfect title. This shit is cocky, no apologies, West Coast gangsta shit. I can't help it. That's what I do. June seems too tight for a release, but July is very doable. We'll see how things go. Now that I have my title, I can work on the concept of my photoshoot and artwork. I want to provide early merch before the drop date.

For 7 or 8 years now the West Coast has been trying to do music that appeals to the South and Mid-West. The words, "too West Coast" would be heard throughout the industry whenever our music was played. Even by our own dj's. Left coast MC's were now trying to change their sound to cater to all the followers. We lost our way. Thank God for b-boys like Snoop, The Game & WC for keeping the West alive, but we were all guilty of over reaching. No more. At least not from me. I do it how I feel it; not how I think it should be done. Radio fucked us up. I hate the politics at radio. I don't know who to pay to get my shit played. Having a hot song is not enough. Ridiculous.

I AM THE WEST. It's coming....

Keep It Gangsta
Ice Cube

With the southern influence in his last two records maybe he should rename it to "I Am The SouthWest."  :P

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing it.  Should be solid.

I agree with everything cube said except for saying that snoop is one of the guys trying to keep the west alive snoop tries to keep the west alive on the underground independent mixtape tip but when it comes to the mainstream he doesn't.

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »
Well he's guilty of doing some southern shit as well although I've enjoyed his last 2 records, no question or argument it had some "south" music on it too (i got my locs on, go to church, etc). Shit even the names he mentioned (minus WC) but Game & Snoop did some "south" shit recently too.

And plus that preview of "it is what it is" we heard in his latest studio video sounded south as well.

With all that said, can't wait for the new record ;)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
Cube still has the ability to drop some dope verses

but if you want to be the west YOU HAVE TO FEATURE NEW WEST ARTISTS

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
Well he's guilty of doing some southern shit as well although I've enjoyed his last 2 records, no question or argument it had some "south" music on it too (i got my locs on, go to church, etc). Shit even the names he mentioned (minus WC) but Game & Snoop did some "south" shit recently too.

And plus that preview of "it is what it is" we heard in his latest studio video sounded south as well.

With all that said, can't wait for the new record ;)

Yeah no just snoop is guilty game has been making south sounding records also eastcoast sounding shit L.A.X really comes to mind Money and Let Us live definitely didn't sound westcoast.

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

Fatdodger

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WHUT UP FRED
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »

Like Who Bishop Glasses Crooked I just stick to the vets.

REAL WESTCOAST G

I REP THAT WEST

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
 :eh: what happened to I am the south?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KiIP_KDQmXs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KiIP_KDQmXs</a>
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:03:04 PM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
I think Cube just put some uneeded pressure on himself naming the album that, as critics will shred it to bits if it even has anything other than a westcoast sound on it. But if anyone can pull this off, it is Cube. I am amped for this.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:57 PM »
Shit sounds like fuckin' lava. If it's gonna be this hardbody, I can't fuckin' wait!! Who gives a fuck who does the beats, long as they straight bangers and hard as fuck, shit's all good in the real hood. Word up!!

Hit 'em wit the anthems Cube.

SO PRUP

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »

OG Hack Wilson

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
One of the 2 tracks he previewed lately was on that stinky southern shit, fans on his blog told him so.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »
i cant wait for a new cube album, his last 2 cds were dope as fuck. 2 of the dopest cds in their respective years!