Author Topic: When was Dr Dre last hit record? Both rapping and as a producer?  (Read 2322 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: When was Dr Dre last hit record? Both rapping and as a producer?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »

first time you heard this....you thought it was gon be a huge hit....seems like it came and went...lol

cuz its crazy that a wack song did better than a anthem that was released a decade + ago....but if thats what it did...so-be it

has nuthin to do wit still dre

then why do you keep mentioning it?

Not surprising at all. Hit records have almost nothing to do with quality.

Yeah, "Crank That" did too; but I bet that was bigger than both.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
This is actually one of the dumbest threads ever. I feel less intelligent that I partake in here.  :eh:
  I feel your pain. It's like awe-inspiring stupidity that somehow hypnotizes you and drags you down to its level. Which leads me to....

was anythin as timeless as that?
in da club might have got more numbers but is it better than still dre?
  WHAT... THE... FUCK?!?! Maybe I'm just in a foul mood tonight but what in the hell are you talking about? I'm serious here. I'm really not intending to be mean-spirited but has it really come to this?

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 10:14:26 PM »
This is actually an interesting thread some what. I was going to make a thread similar to this about the possible demise of the so called 'super producer' or super producers...the three which were first to be given this title in current times were neptunes, timbaland and the beast which is dre. But lets be real, neptunes while hugely gifted fell off...people keep talking about it being cuz chad left and thats debatable but neptunes used to bring out hits on a daily at one stage.

The you got timbaland...dude is arguebaly the only one of the three whos current sound remains with the current generation. That as in his shit don't sound dated, he still was atleast until very recently throwing out hits like its nothing and his music sounded modern still. Recently he gone abit quiet but he probably the most prominent of the three in terms of demand in recent times without doubt.

Dre which this thread is about i was thinking something of the sort of myself recently. When was dudes last CERTIFIED BANGER hit? crack a bottle was a hit but that was solely based on comebacks and names. The record is garbage. We made you was a hit too but any first single off an eminem album is a hit. lol...

So unless im wrong dudes last CERTIFIED BANGER was how we do with 50 n game. Now thats fire for sure but i mean thats fucking nearly half a decade ago now probably. Dude aint made a smash in a long time. Dude ran outta ideas and sounds? Is he finally making shit others can challenge and say they got hotter shit? Because i remember when dre was THAT NIGGA, dudes music was outshining everybody.

It must be a dent to his ego and makes him hungry though. These BIGGGGG time producers like dre and co want to be churning out hits for cats to appease themselves just as much as the fans. He better have some heat rocks on detox and whatever follows it.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
This is actually an interesting thread some what. I was going to make a thread similar to this about the possible demise of the so called 'super producer' or super producers...the three which were first to be given this title in current times were neptunes, timbaland and the beast which is dre. But lets be real, neptunes while hugely gifted fell off...people keep talking about it being cuz chad left and thats debatable but neptunes used to bring out hits on a daily at one stage.

The you got timbaland...dude is arguebaly the only one of the three whos current sound remains with the current generation. That as in his shit don't sound dated, he still was atleast until very recently throwing out hits like its nothing and his music sounded modern still. Recently he gone abit quiet but he probably the most prominent of the three in terms of demand in recent times without doubt.

Dre which this thread is about i was thinking something of the sort of myself recently. When was dudes last CERTIFIED BANGER hit? crack a bottle was a hit but that was solely based on comebacks and names. The record is garbage. We made you was a hit too but any first single off an eminem album is a hit. lol...

So unless im wrong dudes last CERTIFIED BANGER was how we do with 50 n game. Now thats fire for sure but i mean thats fucking nearly half a decade ago now probably. Dude aint made a smash in a long time. Dude ran outta ideas and sounds? Is he finally making shit others can challenge and say they got hotter shit? Because i remember when dre was THAT NIGGA, dudes music was outshining everybody.

It must be a dent to his ego and makes him hungry though. These BIGGGGG time producers like dre and co want to be churning out hits for cats to appease themselves just as much as the fans. He better have some heat rocks on detox and whatever follows it.

*slaps head* So now Crack a Bottle doesn't count as a hit because its by a big name?  And We Made You" doesn't count either? Lol, you might as well discount How We Do as well, that song did well because it was a Game/50 collab for Game's debut and it was commercial garbage anyways.  ::)

Blasphemy

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:33 AM »

Theres a Difference between a banger and a hit, and this album is about hits, not bangers. Crack a bottle was the last hit he was on where he was rapping and producing. It may not of been a banger, but it was a hit.

Also as the poster above me pointed out The Documentary was commercial. It had the club sounding tracks of it's era do to 50 Cents Influence on the album with the gangsta rap lyrics do to The Game riding off his roots of Compton, Dre, and N.W.A . That's why it was successful.

Anyways congrats I think you're the first person in the thread to mention "Detox" in a Dr. Dre thread yet again... lol

Jimmy H.

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »
So what exactly qualifies a song as a "certified banger", since this discussion has officially become this ridicilous? Are we overlooking the remix of "Outta Control"? Have we just completely ignored the original question posed? Can Dre really be that good of a producer when he's never had any hit records that start with the letter Q, V, Z, or the number 4?

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 02:17:13 AM »
Im still saying though, "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani feat. Eve was huge, top 10 in over 15 countries

In the United States, "Rich Girl" was certified double platinum, and it received a nomination for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 48th Grammy Awards.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
So what exactly qualifies a song as a "certified banger", since this discussion has officially become this ridicilous? Are we overlooking the remix of "Outta Control"? Have we just completely ignored the original question posed? Can Dre really be that good of a producer when he's never had any hit records that start with the letter Q, V, Z, or the number 4?

A banger is whatever song dubcc loves, usually that means a popular song before 2003

princessleahparsons

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
Dre hasn\'t prioduced in YEARS - 2Pac Shakur

Eminem tracks DO NOT COUNT

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »

*slaps head* So now Crack a Bottle doesn't count as a hit because its by a big name?  And We Made You" doesn't count either? Lol, you might as well discount How We Do as well, that song did well because it was a Game/50 collab for Game's debut and it was commercial garbage anyways.  ::)

Maybe you have trouble reading. I never said crack a bottle or we made you were not hits. I said they were garbage. Not CERTIFIED BANGERS!

LOL@commercial garbage. Who cares if a joint is commercial or not? In da club was commercial, was that garbage? A joint being commercial does not translate into it being garbage. As for how we do being a hit only because it was for games debut and a 50/game collabo is bulllshit. It got MAJOR love in clubs and i still see cats bumpin that shit in their whips come summer and it still gets a spin from time to time in clubs. The joints fire, from the beat to 50s verse, to games verse to the hook. Nothin deep, but fire. Its commercial...so? LOL

My original post was about when dres last record which was fire was a hit? Aint nobody listening to we made you unless you a em stan or a nerd/geek. Same with crack a bottle. Both were hits. I never denied that.  Every eminem record is usually a hit, garbage or not lol.

I think someone mentioned outta control remix, i forgot about that. So yeh, the last two joints which got major love in clubs, in the hood, by hiphop listeners etc were how we do and outta control. Dude aint really made a fire joint which got released in a long ass time that became a hit. Nuff said.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 09:13:51 AM »

Theres a Difference between a banger and a hit, and this album is about hits, not bangers. Crack a bottle was the last hit he was on where he was rapping and producing. It may not of been a banger, but it was a hit.

Also as the poster above me pointed out The Documentary was commercial. It had the club sounding tracks of it's era do to 50 Cents Influence on the album with the gangsta rap lyrics do to The Game riding off his roots of Compton, Dre, and N.W.A . That's why it was successful.

Anyways congrats I think you're the first person in the thread to mention "Detox" in a Dr. Dre thread yet again... lol

I agree, documentary was commercial and it followed the blueprint dre did with GRODT. It does not mean it was wack. It made sense for dre to come with a westcoast sort of GRODT with documentary after the success of that both numbers and reception wise. Jay-z blueprint was quite commercial too and alot of albums followed that blueprint too. Tracks being 'club sounding' has no negative effect on a album if its dope. All albums want to have club joints and heat when you tryna sell records. This goes back to the days of chronic and dogystyle to today with lil carter 3 to blueprint 3. They all want them club records and if its dope enough and enough people feel they can jam to it, so be it.

Oh and i originally accepted crack a bottle and we made you were hits. I said they were both garbage.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:17:26 AM by LyRiCaL_G »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »

Maybe you have trouble reading. I never said crack a bottle or we made you were not hits. I said they were garbage. Not CERTIFIED BANGERS!

LOL@commercial garbage. Who cares if a joint is commercial or not? In da club was commercial, was that garbage? A joint being commercial does not translate into it being garbage. As for how we do being a hit only because it was for games debut and a 50/game collabo is bulllshit. It got MAJOR love in clubs and i still see cats bumpin that shit in their whips come summer and it still gets a spin from time to time in clubs. The joints fire, from the beat to 50s verse, to games verse to the hook. Nothin deep, but fire. Its commercial...so? LOL

My original post was about when dres last record which was fire was a hit? Aint nobody listening to we made you unless you a em stan or a nerd/geek. Same with crack a bottle. Both were hits. I never denied that.  Every eminem record is usually a hit, garbage or not lol.

I think someone mentioned outta control remix, i forgot about that. So yeh, the last two joints which got major love in clubs, in the hood, by hiphop listeners etc were how we do and outta control. Dude aint really made a fire joint which got released in a long ass time that became a hit. Nuff said.

Right, so what makes a commercial track garbage compared to another commercial track? It's nothing but your opinion. There's no such thing as a "certified banger". Just cause you don't like the track doesn't mean its garbage, its entirely subjective and pointless to argue. Most people here grew up on late 90s early 2000s music, and its kind of a given that you are going to like music from then more.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Sigh.  First let's all take a step back and ask the thread starter to define what he means by "hit" record.  The meaning of this word is subjective.  Define it objectively, and we'll be able to answer the question.  For example, "When was Dr. Dre's last platinum-selling record that he both rapped on and produced?"  That is a serious thread title, because it asks a concrete question that is answerable.  As it is now, each of us has our own opinion of what makes a "hit" record, which is why each of us is giving a different answer.  How silly.

As for the guy who said Still Dre is timeless -- it's far overrated to me.  Big Egos was a waaay more advanced song on every level, including the piano-based chord progression, for starters.  Then the song concept.  Then the arrangement.  Etc.  Everything about it is better.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
U lyin str8 up cuz u was on that record snoop but it aint overrated...name some songs better than still dre...matter fact name some dre or even snoop songs better than still dre...and no big egos isnt up there that song is a anthem 2 this day...sad jay wrote it
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
If he thinks Big Egos is better than Still Dre so be it, it's all opinion at the end of the day. What you think doesn't = fact just because you think it. Still Dre is dope, but to me it got over played so its one of the songs I tend to skip when I'm listening to 2001. Obviouslly it's a dope and classic track, but again to me, the fact that I've heard it so much takes away from it, so if I'm looking at 2001 on an ipod or summin Ima tend to play "Lightspeed" or a track that tends to get less burn.

It's all opinon, stop thinking that your own taste dictates what is and isn't dope