Author Topic: eminem Recovery still selling  (Read 1489 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: eminem Recovery still selling
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:23 PM »
Illuminati type shit....The industry will buy his albums if they have to,to keep this dude above water...this is bullshit, even em knows it.(THE WHITE WORLDS GREAT WHITE HOPE)...and u retards falling for this shit...he still selling like this...yeah wright.

i really think you are overlooking how much white people love eminem. especially pop listeners (the only people left who buy cds in great numbers)
Over looking..read my statement again playa...and yes record companys do buy their own artist products..hell aftermath and Jimmyscope has nothing to lose by doing so..em is great..but i do think people over do it alil...cant we all agree with that for gods sake.the dudes getting over on all of us.

Nothing to lose? You lose money buying records. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but don't make it seem like they have nothing to lose. Buying up your own records to create hype in the first month can be good business. Doing so all these months later doesn't mean all that much. The bottom line is he is a relevant marketable star based on his art, rather than his celebrity. People like the songs so they buy the music. What a novel idea. If clowns like Kanye, Jay Z, and Drake spent more time making music they can sell and less time selling themselves as artists with out the art.

I can barely hum any actual songs by any of these artists. The Jay Z New York song is the only one I can think, and Jesus Walks. The rest, I can think of but I can't sing aloud to myself.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
^^^Good post. Although I didn't like Recovery too much, it was a good album. That being said, as far as mainstream goes, this is the best your going to see from a rap perspective. I think people dont realize how much fans this guy STILL has. He started to slip in the popularity scale after he disappeared in '07, even after Relapse, but with this release, Em is one of the most, if not THE most popular acts in music.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
The bottom line is he is a relevant marketable star based on his art, rather than his celebrity. People like the songs so they buy the music. What a novel idea. If clowns like Kanye, Jay Z, and Drake spent more time making music they can sell and less time selling themselves as artists with out the art.

There's more to it than that. Kanye West put out an album that had the best critical reception in years and its selling nothing like Ems. Do you really believe that if Jay-Z put out an album on the level of The Blueprint or Reasonable Doubt that it would have monster sales? Its about Eminem being Eminem, not about his music being better than others (which it isn't)

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
That single he did with Rhiana ended up being a monster. I figured he'd still be selling pretty strong but it's crazy that he's ahead of Kanye, who just dropped not long ago.

even ppl that use to hate eminem liked that song!

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:37 AM »
The bottom line is he is a relevant marketable star based on his art, rather than his celebrity. People like the songs so they buy the music. What a novel idea. If clowns like Kanye, Jay Z, and Drake spent more time making music they can sell and less time selling themselves as artists with out the art.

There's more to it than that. Kanye West put out an album that had the best critical reception in years and its selling nothing like Ems. Do you really believe that if Jay-Z put out an album on the level of The Blueprint or Reasonable Doubt that it would have monster sales? Its about Eminem being Eminem, not about his music being better than others (which it isn't)

And also the fact Kanye is yet to have a monster single. "All Of The Lights" could be the one though, personally I still haven't copped Kanyes album, he spoiled me with that GOOD Friday ish lol, Ima cop it eventually though

Jimmy H.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
truth right here. if u think rap fans are the ones buying it time to hand in your hip-hop passes
If you're expecting to gage what rap fans are buying with Billboard charts in the first place, hand those babies in. I mean, throwing in the uh, twelve-year-olds bought this or so and so buys this is pointless. It's the Billboard charts and you're bringing up the fact that fans outside of that genre are obviously buying the albums? Well, yes. Anybody that has one of the top 50-selling albums on the pop charts has CROSSED OVER. What's the point?

Over looking..read my statement again playa...and yes record companys do buy their own artist products..hell aftermath and Jimmyscope has nothing to lose by doing so..em is great..but i do think people over do it alil...cant we all agree with that for gods sake.the dudes getting over on all of us.
Interscope ain't buying no fucking Eminem CD's. Let's play the reverse side of your "nothing to lose" argument. What do they gain by doing this?

Illuminati type shit....The industry will buy his albums if they have to,to keep this dude above water...this is bullshit, even em knows it.(THE WHITE WORLDS GREAT WHITE HOPE)...and u retards falling for this shit...he still selling like this...yeah wright.
Well, the way I see it, the retards who fall for that are no worse than the retards who are so bothered by rappers they don't like selling albums that they need to blame it on some government conspiracy involving devil-worshiping. Yes, the Illmunati is an elbaroate plan to sell Eminem albums. Good job. And nobody actually went to see Titanic or Avatar, Fox just bought out theaters so James Cameron can broadcast the Illuminati's "King of the World" speech for the world to hear.

JohnnyL

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:34:08 AM »
truth right here. if u think rap fans are the ones buying it time to hand in your hip-hop passes
If you're expecting to gage what rap fans are buying with Billboard charts in the first place, hand those babies in. I mean, throwing in the uh, twelve-year-olds bought this or so and so buys this is pointless. It's the Billboard charts and you're bringing up the fact that fans outside of that genre are obviously buying the albums? Well, yes. Anybody that has one of the top 50-selling albums on the pop charts has CROSSED OVER. What's the point?

Interscope ain't buying no fucking Eminem CD's. Let's play the reverse side of your "nothing to lose" argument. What do they gain by doing this?

Well, the way I see it, the retards who fall for that are no worse than the retards who are so bothered by rappers they don't like selling albums that they need to blame it on some government conspiracy involving devil-worshiping. Yes, the Illmunati is an elbaroate plan to sell Eminem albums. Good job. And nobody actually went to see Titanic or Avatar, Fox just bought out theaters so James Cameron can broadcast the Illuminati's "King of the World" speech for the world to hear.

Thank you for bringing common sense to this thread.  I can't believe people are surprised at the idea of an Eminem album selling well, when all of his other albums also sold well.  I think some people are allowing their personal dislike of Eminem's music to make them reach for implausible explanations for this album's success.  It seems pretty simple to me.  Eminem is a popular mainstream artist.  His most recent album was pretty well received by most.  It's had a couple of successful singles and has been well promoted, so people went out and bought the album.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:02:47 AM by JohnnyL »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »

I'm not talking about something being great. I'm talking about something being a hit. I can name you plenty of Niel Young albums that get praised across the board, even 30 years later but they couldn't sell for shit. Nothing I've heard by Kanye since Gold Digger has been a hit. Jay Z had the NY song but that's it.

The Em and Rihanna song was a hit and that's why it sold where albums like Relapse could not. I'd argue that Encore didn't really have a hit either but he was so famous and hot during that release that he could have released anything and it would have sold. Of course who he is has something to do with it, but if a completely new artist released the exact same song with Rihanna it still would have done better than anything I've heard so far on Kanye's album.

Adriano

• Dream Team
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
Total?

Seems like this is on it's way to outselling Hov's Highest Selling album.

1. Lady GaGa - The Fame (Monster), 5.8 million copies.
2. Eminem - Recovery, 5.7 million
3. Justin Bieber - My Worlds, 5.6 million
4. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now, 3.6 million
5. Taylor Swift - Speak Now, 3.5 million

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:37 AM »

I'm not talking about something being great. I'm talking about something being a hit. I can name you plenty of Niel Young albums that get praised across the board, even 30 years later but they couldn't sell for shit. Nothing I've heard by Kanye since Gold Digger has been a hit. Jay Z had the NY song but that's it.

The Em and Rihanna song was a hit and that's why it sold where albums like Relapse could not. I'd argue that Encore didn't really have a hit either but he was so famous and hot during that release that he could have released anything and it would have sold. Of course who he is has something to do with it, but if a completely new artist released the exact same song with Rihanna it still would have done better than anything I've heard so far on Kanye's album.
Neil Young!...homie u flipping like a fish out of water(no diss)but come on...u cant name but one J-Z song,and thats NY..but u can name a couple of (NEIL YOUNG)songs.wow!...i see your heart is really not into hip hop then..so your opinion is always gonna be so so...im not a big J fan at all,but i can name acouple of his tracks...Neil young.. i cant name one!well the diamond song,and thats it...laughing at a alternative fans having a judgement on a hip hop board..and i listen to it all..if this is the case then, j gets sells just for being J..visa versa..cant sugar code  shit homie.

187_gangsta_crip

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Em is the biggest selling rap artist of all time

Paul

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
5.7 Mil? Holy Shit!
funkyfreshintheflesh

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »

Neil Young!...homie u flipping like a fish out of water(no diss)but come on...u cant name but one J-Z song,and thats NY..but u can name a couple of (NEIL YOUNG)songs.wow!...i see your heart is really not into hip hop then..so your opinion is always gonna be so so...im not a big J fan at all,but i can name acouple of his tracks...Neil young.. i cant name one!well the diamond song,and thats it...laughing at a alternative fans having a judgement on a hip hop board..and i listen to it all..if this is the case then, j gets sells just for being J..visa versa..cant sugar code  shit homie.

I meant recent Jay Z song. I personally can name every track from Reasonable to Blueprint, but I haven't bought or listen to any Jay albums since then, and I cannot really think of a single hit he's had since then. Vol 2 sold because it had hits on it, not because it was praised critically.

My point about Niel Young was that he was one of the most critically acclaimed rock artists of the 70s but he never really sold that well, and he was white. But he didn't really have any hits until the late 80s with    "Rockin' in the Free World".

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
It's all about major singles.

The biggest selling artists in music are Eminem, Lil' Wayne, Lady GaGa & Justin Bieber; all have monster singles that are played 150 times a day.

You have monumental sized singles, you're gunna sell; just ask 50 Cent on his first two albums.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:30 PM »

You never make any sense with your posts. How can Gold Digger be Ye's last hit? You're completely skipping over the rest of his albums. Love Lockdown? Heartless? Stronger? Flashing Lights? Good Life? Jay-Z's last album had Empire State of Mind, Young Forever and Run This Town. Cmon now.

And honestly, if a completely new artist had released the same song I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't chart at all. If it had, it wouldn't be a monster. The song was big on account of Eminem's star power. You just admitted yourself that he can release anything and sell (which is what I feel he did).

I personally can name every track from Reasonable to Blueprint, but I haven't bought or listen to any Jay albums since then, and I cannot really think of a single hit he's had since then.

This says it all right here. If you choose to ignore the music that artists put out then that's on you. The fact remains that they have continued to be successful. Fyi, both Empire State of Mind and Run This Town charted higher than any song from the period in in which you chose to listen to Jay albums.

You sound like you're backpedalling from what you originally said.

"If clowns like Kanye, Jay Z, and Drake spent more time making music they can sell and less time selling themselves as artists with out the art."

I think this requires some kind of explanation. You talk about the art in music, but then you go on to say you're talking about "hits". You'd really rather see Kanye make a pop song with Rihanna on the hook than come out with an amazing album? That perception is what's taking the art out of the music, if anything.

And just for kicks I'd just like to point out something I've noticed, that in every discussion without fail you bring up an artist completely unrelated to hip hop. Its not really a good look for a hip hop discussion.