Author Topic: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)  (Read 10164 times)

Desert Lord

Re: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »

Not to mention that Dre is now over 40, how sick is that ?

How old are you, son?  :)

good question

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »

Not to mention that Dre is now over 40, how sick is that ?

How old are you, son?  :)

Should i take this bad ?
I'm 25, sorry if i sounded like a 15 years old stan...Lol

The D.O.C and

SheraZ

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
anyone else think they took inspiration from doctors advocate, to the point where thet could be straight jackin it?

i think they took inspiration from T.I castle walls, or airplanes with b.o.b, or any other HipHop/RnB joint on the radio..

peace

except none of those songs have any comparable subject, soo  ::)

wasnt taliin bout the subject, but overall consept.. like the slow hook, rap, slow hook etc..
www.thugtertainment.net  <- Hussein Fatal's Official Site!!

BORN LEGENDARY DROPPIN JUNE 16th on ITUNES and Thugtertainment.net (hardcopy)

dnjp4life

« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »
I think it's fair to say that people are only checking for this song because it's got two Eminem verses and a female hook in the same vein as 'Love The Way You Lie'.  Dr. Dre's name comes secondary to that, but I doubt he cares anyway, as long as it is doing well (which it evidently is).

I suppose the money men over at Interscope really do dictate what comes out and what doesn't.  These days, if it's not a sure-fire hit that will cater to the masses, then it's doubtful that a song will get released as a single.

It's not that it's that bad of a song to be honest, just not what I imagined a Dr. Dre song in 2011 to sound like.  Still, Dre has to move with the times like everyone else I suppose, if he wants Detox to be successful.  I'm happy for him that it's no.1 in the download charts, hopefully that will spur him on a bit more.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:49 AM »
I think it's fair to say that people are only checking for this song because it's got two Eminem verses and a female hook in the same vein as 'Love The Way You Lie'.  Dr. Dre's name comes secondary to that, but I doubt he cares anyway, as long as it is doing well (which it evidently is).

I suppose the money men over at Interscope really do dictate what comes out and what doesn't.  These days, if it's not a sure-fire hit that will cater to the masses, then it's doubtful that a song will get released as a single.

It's not that it's that bad of a song to be honest, just not what I imagined a Dr. Dre song in 2011 to sound like.  Still, Dre has to move with the times like everyone else I suppose, if he wants Detox to be successful.  I'm happy for him that it's no.1 in the download charts, hopefully that will spur him on a bit more.
yeah but like i said before, i really doubt they demanded to have someone else produce the single.
they must have faith in him as a producer, otherwise the joint venture with interscope wouldn't have taken off in the first place.

dre's insecurity is the main reason Detox gets delayed over and over.
perhaps jimmy or someone else advised him to jump on the success of Eminem's single.

repthatwest

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:36 AM »
its aimed at the eminem type fanbase, the new hiphop listeners aged between 13-18 who think wiz khalifa is the first rapper to smoke weed.. and the success of this song will in no doubt shape the song choice for the rest of the album, which will end up being nothing more then somthing similar to eminems last four albums.. commercial crap!

can any of you honestly think that in 2011, interscope/iovine will risk having an album like chronic 2001's features and content? theyve been waiting for 10 years for dre to get to this stage, there not going to take any chances, there going to aim to the new faggot fanbase of listeners who run around with skin tight jeans, gay haircuts and dance around like little monkeys!

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2011, 05:19:37 AM »

The thing is as well, is that right now with Detox, it's not just about making money, it's making money BACK that's already been spent:

Dre sits in the studio all day, and someone has to pay the wages of the engineers, the sessions musicians, and for using the studio if it's a top studio...
They also have to pay to keep people on like his co-producers and they paid people like Bishop Lamont, etc to be signed to the label (not loads of money, but it all adds up)...
Dre has bought beats from other producers for Detox, that's more money, and I assume people he's brought into to ghostwrite, Jay-Z, TI, whoever, got
paid for those sessions.
And that's over a long time now, even if you start at a year ago if that's when he started the 'proper' Detox sessions, it's still a lot of money over a lot of time.

Plus they shot a video for Kush - that's all the crew's wages, the editor, the director, extras, and then artwork, not to mention publicity and marketing all this stuff...

The money is either all coming from Dre's pocket (which I highly doubt, but even more reason for him to want to make it back in that case)...
Or Interscope and Jimmy have been funding the whole thing, which is the most likely scenario, in which case they'll be very keen to make it back,
and they'll want at least one absolutely sure-fire single to get it kicked off and make it appeal to a big audience.

So it's not surprising they're going with the safe bet and copying stuff that has recently worked amazingly well for them - Eminem, female hook, etc.

If it was an underground album made in someone's basement on the weekend's, no problem, put on whatever you like, be as experimental as you like, because there are no overhead costs to recoup at the end of it.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »

yeah but like i said before, i really doubt they demanded to have someone else produce the single.
they must have faith in him as a producer, otherwise the joint venture with interscope wouldn't have taken off in the first place.

perhaps jimmy or someone else advised him to jump on the success of Eminem's single.

I think the bad reception to Under Pressure really reinforced Dre's insecurity. He really thought he had the perfect single with Jay-z on it as well but the feedback was so negative.

thegooddoc

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:33 AM »

I think the bad reception to Under Pressure really reinforced Dre's insecurity. He really thought he had the perfect single with Jay-z on it as well but the feedback was so negative.

I don't think the leak of Under Pressure had anything to do with Dre. It was incomplete, the mix sounded terrible, and it didn't even have a hook.  Of course it was going to get a bad reception.   The official leaks..Kush, and INAD, were completed and just needed mastering.  Sadly, I think that with a good hook and another verse, Under Pressure could have been the better of the three.

Matty

« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
I think it's fair to say that people are only checking for this song because it's got two Eminem verses and a female hook in the same vein as 'Love The Way You Lie'.  Dr. Dre's name comes secondary to that, but I doubt he cares anyway, as long as it is doing well (which it evidently is).

I suppose the money men over at Interscope really do dictate what comes out and what doesn't.  These days, if it's not a sure-fire hit that will cater to the masses, then it's doubtful that a song will get released as a single.

It's not that it's that bad of a song to be honest, just not what I imagined a Dr. Dre song in 2011 to sound like.  Still, Dre has to move with the times like everyone else I suppose, if he wants Detox to be successful.  I'm happy for him that it's no.1 in the download charts, hopefully that will spur him on a bit more.

I don't think the leak of Under Pressure had anything to do with Dre. It was incomplete, the mix sounded terrible, and it didn't even have a hook.  Of course it was going to get a bad reception.   The official leaks..Kush, and INAD, were completed and just needed mastering.  Sadly, I think that with a good hook and another verse, Under Pressure could have been the better of the three.

probably. it had potential, could have ranged to good to great in finished form, but the foundation of it was pretty head nodding. nothing amazing, but it's not hard to make a better joint than kush (average/messy/corny) or INAD (emo/kiddy pop)...

Stan

« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

The thing is as well, is that right now with Detox, it's not just about making money, it's making money BACK that's already been spent:

Dre sits in the studio all day, and someone has to pay the wages of the engineers, the sessions musicians, and for using the studio if it's a top studio...
They also have to pay to keep people on like his co-producers and they paid people like Bishop Lamont, etc to be signed to the label (not loads of money, but it all adds up)...
Dre has bought beats from other producers for Detox, that's more money, and I assume people he's brought into to ghostwrite, Jay-Z, TI, whoever, got
paid for those sessions.
And that's over a long time now, even if you start at a year ago if that's when he started the 'proper' Detox sessions, it's still a lot of money over a lot of time.

Plus they shot a video for Kush - that's all the crew's wages, the editor, the director, extras, and then artwork, not to mention publicity and marketing all this stuff...

The money is either all coming from Dre's pocket (which I highly doubt, but even more reason for him to want to make it back in that case)...
Or Interscope and Jimmy have been funding the whole thing, which is the most likely scenario, in which case they'll be very keen to make it back,
and they'll want at least one absolutely sure-fire single to get it kicked off and make it appeal to a big audience.

Good post, I think you got it bang on.  They need to make money back for 10 years of recording sessions ... I never thought of it that way.  I guess they have to give up some of the "artistic integrity" that everyone whines about in order to make some dough.  Your right, they gotta recoup and why not go with something that has proven to work (Love the way you lie)???

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »

he seemed enthusiastic about it yeah.
but if he was confident about the direction of Detox, he would have never made a song like Under pressure.

i remember that he said a while ago, that he needed to go to the clubs to check what people are listening to.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
I think also that he's been looking for the one hit single for a while now and could well have the rest of the album completed for some time now...

Like remember at the baseball game with Jimmy when he mentioned Under Pressure before it leaked and he was talking about, oh, I think we got the "one" now, we've got something to go with....
It sounds like the album pretty much  in place and he's been struggling to just find a sure-fire hit to kick it all off with, and he probably made Kush just trying to make an obvious single... and just to make sure they did an Eminem track so the album has at least one really big successful single on it

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
Its such a shame cause I really think Under Pressure is a MUCH better song!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
Where did those Jimmy Iovine conspiracy theories begin?
People need someone to blame. Jimmy is the face they can use for that. He's not an artist with a fanbase who will defend them so someone could say "Jimmy Iovine lours small children into ice cream trucks and rapes them then programs them to like Lady Gaga music" and nobody will even bother to question the absuridty of it all because who cares? It's very easy to shit on the guy that everyone is shitting on. Jimmy Iovine is to this forum what singing the Russian national anthem at a wrestling match was to crowds in the 1980's. What bothers me is how buying into all of this has really fucking DUMBED DOWN this forum. I mean, we talk all day about how pop music is trying to turn us all into lemmings but in the aggravation, we are buying into equally-idiotic theories just to break away from the norm.

And everyone is so knowledgeable as to the inner-workings of the Interscope executives. These transcripts of what we believe a meeting sounds like are fucking genius.  Case in point.

I reckon this is what happened...

Jimmy and marketing over at Interscope said to Dre, "make sure you have a single, make something we can sell easily..."
And Dre was like, mmm, ok, I'll make a dancey number and have Akon on it and make it sound like the rest of the Detox tracks, but a little more obviously commercial,
and he's like, "Here you go guys, I did the single! It's called Kush" ...

And then Jimmy & Co were like, "wellll... ok, we'll try that as well, but just in case that doesn't really light the world on fire, then how about you just drop a little verse on the end of this Eminem track he did for you..."

And I bet basketball coaches talk to their star players like this.

“Okay, what we need to do here is for you to go out and shoot the ball so that it falls inside the hoop.”

It’s kind of a crazy outside-the-box theory of mine but maybe Dre knows he needs a “catchy single”. Maybe somewhere in the 25 years he’s been making mainstream music, he figured out that that the jump-off single for the album should appeal to as many potential buyers as possible so cashing in on having the most popular artist in music being signed to his label seemed like a good idea. I know he doesn’t have an account on this forum so his knowledge of the music business and how to make a hit record is iffy compared to ours but he could be on to something.

The argument of “selling out” is one that needs to die too. When he returned to gangsta rap after declaring it dead, nobody had nothing to say because he was giving the paying audience what they demanded. Now, when he’s working with one of his own artists (who he clearly gets a strong creative fulfillment from working with) and doing a record that the public clearly answers to, it’s a different story. Now, he’s Jimmy Iovine’s puppet.

If Dre is a sell-out, he’s a goddamn shitty one. Skipping out on the N.W.A. album after the Up In Smoke tour, the Farm Club performance, and Em’s diamond-selling second album probably cost him a nice chunk of change. Turning down a much publicized offer from Michael Jackson probably cost him some dough too. Hell, had he thrown out beats to half the mainstream people who wanted them on his albums during any of his hotter periods (Death Row, post 8-Mile and 50’s album, etc.), he’d be that much fucking richer.

It goes back to a similar statement I made about Game to his haters. Dre is no less of a sell-out today than he was in 1994. He’s working under the same basic business umbrella and catering to the same market place. The market may have changed. The audience’s tastes may have as well. Dre’s objective I’d argue is the same but the pressure to maintain is much harder.

I hear talk of people saying that it’s time to “lower your expectations” and that’s not the answer. Instead of limiting your expectations to traditional West Coast sounds or typical Dre guest features, listen to the music on its own merits. Broaden your expectations a little bit. Don’t judge the work on some hypothetical dream album you were never going to get. Judge it on what it is.