Author Topic: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?  (Read 1589 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »

Initiated should have been the lead single. I think "In California" was if I remember correctly...not a bad song, Daz solo w/ Jewell. But yeah anything with 2pac on a single at the time would have blown. Follow up w/ OGs and it could have easily went gold if not platinum.

Hell no!!!!  

"In California" was as appropriate a lead single as I've ever heard.  It was a Daz solo so it gave Daz the full spotlight which was what he needed.  The shit was a feel-good track like most lead singles.  It was a feel-good track in the same way as "Let's Play House" and it was similar to "California Love" just minus the legendary status of Pac and Dre.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Also, the South and No Limit were dominating the market at the time, and people had forgot about the West Coast.

that's not a valid reason. several westcoast albums went gold in 98 : Cube's War & Peace Vol. 1&2 (album) and Cube's Pushin Weight (single). E-40's Element of Surprise went gold as well.

In California didn't blow because it wasn't a good enough track, it's a caricature of a westcoast themed song to me, it's still decent but it didn't have the crossover appeal of California Love, or West Up.

The album failed to go gold for the reasons mentioned by Deeeznuuuuts83. plus  Daz didn't have the mainstream notoriety and the mass appeal to sell 500k. Daz wasn't a household name and he wasn't a frontman. he still doesn't have any mainstream appeal, and he has proved it time & time again. he had his chance with Jermaine Dupri in 06 on a major label, dude had a single with Rick Ross with a video which charted but it wasn't nowhere near a hit despite Ross's feature.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

that's not a valid reason. several westcoast albums went gold in 98 : Cube's War & Peace Vol. 1&2 (album) and Cube's Pushin Weight (single). E-40's Element of Surprise went gold as well.

In California didn't blow because it wasn't a good enough track, it's a caricature of a westcoast themed song to me, it's still decent but it didn't have the crossover appeal of California Love, or West Up.

The album failed to go gold for the reasons mentioned by Deeeznuuuuts83. plus  Daz didn't have the mainstream notoriety and the mass appeal to sell 500k. Daz wasn't a household name and he wasn't a frontman. he still doesn't have any mainstream appeal, and he has proved it time & time again. he had his chance with Jermaine Dupri in 06 on a major label, dude had a single with Rick Ross with a video which charted but it wasn't nowhere near a hit despite Ross's feature.

Ice Cube was still able to go platinum after the fall of the West because Ice Cube is a household name.  "Pushin Wieght" was also a tremendous lead single and had a dope-ass video to go with it.  That joint bangs for sure, and props to Ice Cube for that.

As for E-40, E-40 and the Bay area have always sold well out here in Kansas City.  They were pretty much taping into the same market that the South was.  People in the midwest love that shit, even though I think the Northern Cali shit weak compared to LA; maybe that's why fans here like it because they have no taste in music.

But anyway, I agree with your points to some degree.  Snoop's presence really helped the Dogg Food album sell.  Kurupt and Daz have always been like Snoop's homies, and have had a hard time shining on their own.  I was watching Snoop's new REINCARNATION documentary and Daz is just getting high as fuck and playing around, while Snoop's like trying to make profound statements about his life and career.  Snoop's vision and character has always just loomed so much larger. 

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
when are you going to listen to Brotha Lynch Hung?  the guy you pretend is a Bay Area cat when me and Sccit tried to tell you he was from Sac-town

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
"RRGB" had that polished, went through a gang of engineers sound. which is great, thats what death row was doin at the time...but "Raw" was more, how should i say this, RAW.......it aint got that polished death row sound, but some of those tracks go in hard as fuck. "RRGB" was way more catchy and u can tell it was made to be commercially successful. depending on the day, i may prefer either or.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
most but not all of raw was recorded at can am studios  utiling deathrows resources those are the masters he bounced withwhen he elft

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
most but not all of raw was recorded at can am studios  utiling deathrows resources those are the masters he bounced withwhen he elft

thats why the sound aint as polished, he was left with raw material to mix/master himself witout all the death row engineers.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 08:16:32 PM »
when are you going to listen to Brotha Lynch Hung?  the guy you pretend is a Bay Area cat when me and Sccit tried to tell you he was from Sac-town

Bay Area and Sac-town are pretty much the same thing in rap, are they not?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 08:20:39 PM »
"RRGB" had that polished, went through a gang of engineers sound. which is great, thats what death row was doin at the time...but "Raw" was more, how should i say this, RAW.......it aint got that polished death row sound, but some of those tracks go in hard as fuck. "RRGB" was way more catchy and u can tell it was made to be commercially successful. depending on the day, i may prefer either or.

Yeah.. that sounds about more right.  I do prefer the more "polished" sound.  But I think "polished" is a better word then saying "it wasn't as gangsta".   Because RRAGB goes hard as fuck as far as gangsta rap is concerned.  It would be hard to get any more gangsta than RRAGB.  Just because an album is "Raw" and "un-polished" doesn't make it more gangsta.

The Chronic is one of the most polished albums of all-time and it is also the most gangsta album of all time.

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »

Yeah.. that sounds about more right.  I do prefer the more "polished" sound.  But I think "polished" is a better word then saying "it wasn't as gangsta".   Because RRAGB goes hard as fuck as far as gangsta rap is concerned.  It would be hard to get any more gangsta than RRAGB.  Just because an album is "Raw" and "un-polished" doesn't make it more gangsta.

The Chronic is one of the most polished albums of all-time and it is also the most gangsta album of all time.

by more gangsta i mean less targeted towards commercial success...songs like "i thank god for my life" and "might sound crazy" etc, while still gangsta rap, are sung with more of a pop-like tune, which is dope because thats what death row was doin at the time, but in turn that shit makes it appeal more to a mainstream crowd, whereas an album like "raw" has absolutely nothing that can please a mainstream crowd, yadig?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 09:58:47 PM »

by more gangsta i mean less targeted towards commercial success...songs like "i thank god for my life" and "might sound crazy" etc, while still gangsta rap, are sung with more of a pop-like tune, which is dope because thats what death row was doin at the time, but in turn that shit makes it appeal more to a mainstream crowd, whereas an album like "raw" has absolutely nothing that can please a mainstream crowd, yadig?

I under-dig homie  8)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
dillinger and young gotti > RRGB

allday.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 11:53:46 PM »
That first beat after the intro is G as fuck.
Fuck yeah! too bad the into and the track were one in the same cos they talk shit for ages before the beat drops in.

I like "Oh No" from that album
Pretty cool track.

raw is daz best solo but this is almost as good.

thx god for my life sounds real stupid 15 years later, actually it sounded pretty stupid then.
I like RAW, some GREAT tracks but i honestly thought it was over rated when it came out. And iam a big DPG fan.
 Yeah man, that song was just embarrassing! lol i was pretty young then and it was just lame and gay as fuck. i dont mind it so much now but yeah...

dillinger and young gotti > RRGB

allday.
OOoh, big call. BUT yeah, that is a great fucking album!

bouli77

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 03:54:51 AM »

Feels Good can defnitely please a mainstream crowd. Feel good vibe, dope Kool & The Gang sample, and Daz & Kurupt kill it. In fact I think Feels Good is a better single choice (and song) than In California.

It's a common misconception to think that R.A.W. is a 100% dark album but in fact it has a few laid back/feel good type of songs and a few upbeat fun songs as well, such as  : One Nine (with Lil C Style) - Who's Knoccin' at my Door - What It Iz (it's a Snoop diss but the beat is chill as can be) - on da grind (uplifting song) - movin' around (feat. Slip Capone) - Agony (Latoiya's solo) - Feels Good - Backstabbers (summertime track with Mark Morrison and a dope beat). so overall that's 8 songs out of 21 (18 without the skits), so a good portion of R.A.W. isn't that dark.

damn i  think ima play the album right now lol, it's been years. it was my favorite daz album growing up before RRGB but I think RRGB has aged better.

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »

Feels Good can defnitely please a mainstream crowd. Feel good vibe, dope Kool & The Gang sample, and Daz & Kurupt kill it. In fact I think Feels Good is a better single choice (and song) than In California.

It's a common misconception to think that R.A.W. is a 100% dark album but in fact it has a few laid back/feel good type of songs and a few upbeat fun songs as well, such as  : One Nine (with Lil C Style) - Who's Knoccin' at my Door - What It Iz (it's a Snoop diss but the beat is chill as can be) - on da grind (uplifting song) - movin' around (feat. Slip Capone) - Agony (Latoiya's solo) - Feels Good - Backstabbers (summertime track with Mark Morrison and a dope beat). so overall that's 8 songs out of 21 (18 without the skits), so a good portion of R.A.W. isn't that dark.

damn i  think ima play the album right now lol, it's been years. it was my favorite daz album growing up before RRGB but I think RRGB has aged better.

no, didnt say it was more dark...i said it was more raw and less commercial. of course, there are the commercial cuts, but in comparison to "RRGB", which seemingly was made to be commercially successful from top-to-bottom, raw is the album with less mainstream appeal.