Author Topic: Nas Hip-Hop Is Dead still so under-rated...  (Read 347 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Nas Hip-Hop Is Dead still so under-rated...
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
This album is in my top 10 albums of All-Time list.   And it is officially the most timely album of all time, as it marked the official death of hip-hop.

This album carried me for a whole year from the end of 2006 through nearly all of 2007.  While the rest of the hip-hop world was crumbling this album was straight heat from beginning to end.  Nas comes out swingin with the opener, "Money Over Bullshit" he basically destroys the whole rap game.  He could of ended the album there but he continued to bless us with 15 more tracks.  

"Carry On Tradition" was a dope cut, and then "Hip-Hop Is Dead" was a perfect lead single that should of blown up on radio and TV.  Couldn't have had a more perfect title track, "RIP WE'LL DONATE YOUR LUNGS TO A RASTA", so many sick lines on this track.  Then "Black Republicans" marked the first time Jay-Z ever actually sounded dope on a record but he still got sonned by Nas.

Then Kanye West tries his best to destroy the album, but even he fails as Nas comes right back with the very dope "Hold Down the Block".  Chris Webber comes in and lays down some ill production with the mesmerizing "Blunt Ashes" in which Nas does a lot of ill storytelling about artists he listened to as a kid.  

Then finally Nas' finishes the album off strong with the timeless cut "Can't Forget About You" which is a one of a kind track, sampling a song from a long ago era and making it fresh again.  After that Nas and Game drop the epic, legendary track over the monster Dre beat "Hustlers"!  At that point, it's officially over and the game has been destroyed and Nas reigns supreme.    
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:30:55 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Nas Hip-Hop Is Dead still so under-rated...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
That's embarrassing.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
maybe as far as the hip hop nas was doin' is dead but hip hop overall is still alive and well.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
maybe as far as the hip hop nas was doin' is dead but hip hop overall is still alive and well.

come on bro.. don't take shit so literally... it's symbolism. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »

come on bro.. don't take shit so literally... it's symbolism. 
yeah i know. when i read your 'it marked the official death of hip hop' i said to myself it can't be...LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
nas > ti

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Invincible

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
I've never heard someone overrate an album so much. We get at least one post about this album from you every year.  It's average at best.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:16 AM »
I really enjoyed the album. I think the title and timing soured a lot if people but it's still a dope project.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:09 AM »
I've never heard someone overrate an album so much. We get at least one post about this album from you every year.  It's average at best.

It's a great album 7.5/10

But one of many great albums and there have been better since (not to mention Nas topped it himself with his next album) so not the last of anything

Nice concept tho, someone had to do it eventually

V2DHeart

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »
The message on the album is self explanatory. Hip Hop as an art form and being able to get money from it, or any form of mainstream exposure from a more authentic style of Hip Hop was gone. people repackaging electro pop with a black man dressed up like a cheerleader or because it has a black singer saying the word "swag" and throwing her hands around does not make it Hip Hop!!!! Trap is a prime example of this.

I can remember Soulja Boy (one of the main blissfully unaware pets of the Hip Hop killers) dissing Nas, claiming that it was He (Nas) who killed Hip Hop  ::)  He killed it, because a lot of people looked up to Nas, and when he said Hip Hop was dead, that meant that it was. Even though Nas was just broadcasting the obvious, it was good to see a partially mainstream artist come out and say it in amongst a field of fakes
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »

I guess this means mediocrity at it's greatest?

bouli77

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
infinite stays talking about the same albums and artists year in year out, RR&GB every spring, Hip Hop is Dead, lol...

Will_B

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »

I guess this means mediocrity at it's greatest?

If you say so Beibs :D

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
Its funny as hell sometimes to me how underground mcs like a Cormega will say the exact same shit as Nas before he says it n it gets ignored. Nas comes along n says it n hes a genius and visionary.

This is one of Nas 3 worst albums to me. Him takin Thiefs Theme beat, the last single off his previous albums, and havin Will I Am speed it up and throw some new lyrics on it is exactly why hip hop is dead. Laziness from the vets who realize because of their status and mediabrainwashing they can put out anything regardless how it sounds and their followers will eat it up and overhype it.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will