Author Topic: WHO IS THE GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME?  (Read 2623 times)

Sccit

WHO IS THE GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME?
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
was listenin to 710am today and max kellerman was arguing peyton manning... who u got as the GOAT qb? john elway? joe montana? tom brady? dan marino? whos ur greatest qb and whats ur case for them bein the goat??

Hack Wilson - real

Re: WHO IS THE GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »
peyton manning

he'll end up with every major record ever and probably 2 rings, maybe 3

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »
Montana.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
My case for Montana is that he changed the game. Montana was the first true Westcoast Offensive QB, and since then people have tried to replicate him over and over. Though it was an offence based off short passes, it created a new strategy in which the running game was not needed because now the swing pass was the new running game. Montana then added that with the fact he was cold ass ice in clutch time. Once the clock started ticking down, that's when Montana was at his best. I was a little kid and it was just seen as inevitable that the 49ers would comeback in the 4th quarter and win. The Packers in the 90's and the Colts/Patriots in the 2000's both had that feel too. So because watching all these great QB's I saw very little space between them, then I go by who changed the game. It's unfair to judge a QB in the 60's with the QB's now, because now they pass way more. And Montana was the type of game managers that Brady, Manning and Favre were. So the tie breaker to me is Super Bowls and then who changed the game. And in that, Montana has the edge.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Argument for manning is that had he played in that era, he'd also have the upper hand and more of an ability to "change the game"

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »
Argument for manning is that had he played in that era, he'd also have the upper hand and more of an ability to "change the game"

If Manning has a strong performance passing in the SB and they win, it becomes Manning.  Until then it's Joe.  Like MDogg I remember listening to games as a kid and you never got nervous when the team was down in the 4th quarter.  Joe made it happen.

whoisthis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
I hate the argument of "if this player was in this era" because it's purely speculative. Montana played in an era where a Defender didn't have to worry about hitting too high, too low, etc. That changes the game when a Defensive player becomes hesitant.

Basing purely off accomplishments:

Manning

Right he is only behind Favre in Passing Yards and TD's thrown. He's a 4 Time MVP (most ever in the NFL) and on his way to a 5th. Has a Ring and Superbowl MVP

If he can play 2 more seasons, he'll pass Favre in Yards. If he only plays 1 more season, he'll pass Favre in TD's. At this point, Manning has only played 15 seasons. Not sure if he has more in him, but he'll own even more records if he can keep going.

The only true knock on the man is that he doesn't have more rings. But Rings are a team thing. Big Ben has 2 rings. That doesn't make him a better QB than Manning, Marino or Favre. Nor does it equate him to Elway. Just means that he had the better team.

Manning was rarely blessed with a stellar Defense like Montana had. I'd say Montana always had the more complete team around him. Think about that 89 team. A top defense, which included one of the best defenders ever in Ronnie Lott. And a featured Montana throwing to the best Receiver of all time, Jerry Rice. That is one of the best teams in History.

I don't think any of Manning's team are considered all that great.
Some Of What's On Rotation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8</a>

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
Yea the difference between basketball and football is that football is more team dependent. An individual is much less likely to carry an entire team to the promise land.

Ghost, u don't fux wit basketball?

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
Yea the difference between basketball and football is that football is more team dependent. An individual is much less likely to carry an entire team to the promise land.

Ghost, u don't fux wit basketball?

I'm not that big of a basketball fan.  Baseball is my favorite.  Kobe is my favorite player though followed by Steph Curry:)

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »
Good picks

topdogg187

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
Montana is the greatest of all time for now...Brady can become the greatest if he can win another superbowl and continue putting up great numbers which have already surpassed montanas numbers. the argument for montana really lies in the fact that he was Joe "Cool" for a reason he has the best playoff performances of any other QB in the history of the game and has never lost or threw an INT in the biggest stage at the Super Bowl.

Top 5:

1) Montana
2) Brady
3)Elway
4)Manning
5) Favre

again i don't know enough about the old school players like Unitas, Staubach, Bradshaw and those guys this is based purely off the QB's i've watched play live.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »

Except he wasn't. But as I said, that's just a tie breaker, along with SB rings. But comparing Manning to Montana, having seen both, it's very, very close. It's just different eras.

I hate the argument of "if this player was in this era" because it's purely speculative. Montana played in an era where a Defender didn't have to worry about hitting too high, too low, etc. That changes the game when a Defensive player becomes hesitant.

Basing purely off accomplishments:

Manning

Right he is only behind Favre in Passing Yards and TD's thrown. He's a 4 Time MVP (most ever in the NFL) and on his way to a 5th. Has a Ring and Superbowl MVP

If he can play 2 more seasons, he'll pass Favre in Yards. If he only plays 1 more season, he'll pass Favre in TD's. At this point, Manning has only played 15 seasons. Not sure if he has more in him, but he'll own even more records if he can keep going.

The only true knock on the man is that he doesn't have more rings. But Rings are a team thing. Big Ben has 2 rings. That doesn't make him a better QB than Manning, Marino or Favre. Nor does it equate him to Elway. Just means that he had the better team.

Manning was rarely blessed with a stellar Defense like Montana had. I'd say Montana always had the more complete team around him. Think about that 89 team. A top defense, which included one of the best defenders ever in Ronnie Lott. And a featured Montana throwing to the best Receiver of all time, Jerry Rice. That is one of the best teams in History.

I don't think any of Manning's team are considered all that great.

You are right on that aspect. The Niners defense in the 80's was STACKED! But from all accounts, Montana was a leader of men, and that offense would follow him off a cliff. When Montana got hurt, Steve Young was not able to lead the team pass the Giants, and I think Young had better tools than Montana. But Montana proved he was not a system QB, he was the perfect QB for that system.

That's another thing that gets lost is the myth of a system QB. That's why more people don't say Brady, because they think of Brady as a system QB. Especially after the 2008 season when with Matt Cassel as QB, the Patriots went 11-5. But what people forget was the year before the Pats were 16-0. Yeah the Patriots were great, but the QB was the difference of 5 wins and a trip to the Super Bowl. Since football is a team game, it shows great QB's play for great teams, but the truly great QB's win. With that, Manning's Colts were 10-6 in 2010, but when Manning was hurt then the Colts went 2-14. So I give Brady credit, he's the difference of 5 games and getting deeper in the playoffs. Manning was the difference of 8 games.

Now here is the interesting. The difference of Brady and Cassel (decent QB), 5 games. The difference of Manning and Kerry Collins (decent QB), 8 games. The difference between Joe Montana and Steve Young (hall of famer), 4 games. That maybe the smallest margin, but of Montana was truly the product of a system, then Young have led the Niners to more wins, especially because he was a hall of fame QB himself.

So I never get caught up in the system QB argument. That's BS to me. Any system works with the right QB, and any QB can look good in the system made for them. Montana was a perfect Westcoast QB, Manning's game was more of a spread offense. If Manning played in a Westcoast offense then he would have been wasted, and if Montana would have played in a spread offense then you take away a part of his game. Even within eras it's hard to compare QB's. Someone like John Elway doesn't really compare with Dan Marino, as Elway was one of the first mobile QB gunslingers, well Marino was a pure pocket QB. Yet Elway compares well with Brett Favre, but when the 90's came and they both were in the league together, Elway was more of a pure pocket QB due to age.

But if a QB doesn't fit the system they are drafted in, then we don't even mention them. One name not mentioned is Drew Brees. Brees is AMAZING! But we all remember Brees on the Chargers, and how can an all time be let go like the Chargers did. As a fan Raider fan at the time, I was happy. Brees was gone! But he fit better with New Orleans than San Diego.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
Montana got the bling.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:02 AM »
Johnny Unitas and it's not even close.

Johnny on the 80s Niners would have been in the Superbowl every year and won at least 5. Montana on the late 50s/early 60s Colts would have been injured for the season by the 3rd game of each year and have been cut, plus he simply would not have been very effective against legal illegal contact by DBs where he'd be forced to throw outside the hash marks.

Had Paul Brown simply allowed Walsh to get the HC job in Cinci then we may be talking about Ken Anderson like we are Montana, and we may not have ever really known Montana.

Someone please get their hands on some Unitas games and then watch some games by other QBs in that era, and see how far ahead of them he was. It was a much harder environment to play QB in and he looks like a modern QB in it.