Author Topic: Eminem Show still moving units 11 years later  (Read 702 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Eminem Show still moving units 11 years later
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
you would think itd be MMLP gettin the sales with MMLP2 droppin that year n all

true
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »
I think his music just needs to grow up a little. The shock value and frat humour is done to death and comes off as immature. But even if he does make his Blood on the Tracks equivalent it won't generate nearly the amount sales of his peak era albums, and nor should it. It's time he let go of the past albums and just create new music based on his current life experiences and thoughts. He's not the same guy anymore and he doesn't live the same life. His music should not be trying to relive that. An MMLP2 is just stupid in concept.

He should try more of a roots hip hop album. I don't mean late 70s early 80s boom rap. But take an early 90s producer like Pete Rock or Premier and do a whole album with just that producer. Rap about adulthood, the state of hip hop then and now, stuff like that. Tone down the crazy over-rapping and just let it flow out of you.

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
I think his music just needs to grow up a little. The shock value and frat humour is done to death and comes off as immature. But even if he does make his Blood on the Tracks equivalent it won't generate nearly the amount sales of his peak era albums, and nor should it. It's time he let go of the past albums and just create new music based on his current life experiences and thoughts. He's not the same guy anymore and he doesn't live the same life. His music should not be trying to relive that. An MMLP2 is just stupid in concept.

He should try more of a roots hip hop album. I don't mean late 70s early 80s boom rap. But take an early 90s producer like Pete Rock or Premier and do a whole album with just that producer. Rap about adulthood, the state of hip hop then and now, stuff like that. Tone down the crazy over-rapping and just let it flow out of you.

isnt that what hes been doin wit all the sappy songs about gettin stronger and all that other gayass bullshit?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »

isnt that what hes been doin wit all the sappy songs about gettin stronger and all that other gayass bullshit?

That's not even close to what I said; Stronger is is a sing songy pop song with a rap verse in it. Listen to something like If I Had or Rock Bottom. That was EM properly expressing what his life was like at that time. He needs to do it like that again with his life now, over Pete Rock beats, and that would be a nice album.

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

That's not even close to what I said; Stronger is is a sing songy pop song with a rap verse in it. Listen to something like If I Had or Rock Bottom. That was EM properly expressing what his life was like at that time. He needs to do it like that again with his life now, over Pete Rock beats, and that would be a nice album.

his life aint like that no more...he lives the life of a pop artists n thats why we get pop

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »

Shallow, first, nice to have you back, where you been homie?  

Second... I agree with Sccit, except I wouldn't call the songs "sappy" or "gayass".  "Stronger" is a great song.  I was not a fan of Encore, Relapse, or even Recovery.  But now he has sort of found his voice again, and much in the way you are suggesting Shallow.

A lot of the songs on "Stronger Than I Was", "Legacy", and what I consider the best hip-hop song and video of the year "Guts Over Fear" are the more mature songs that you were asking for.  And if you want something more favorable to your old school Pete Rock sentiment then you should respect songs like "Rap God".

It's not fair to compare him to the early part of his career.  Of course tracks like "Rock Bottom" may be more expressive and easier to relate to because back then Em was just a struggling artist going dealing with the same sort of problems ordinary people deal with.  But you got to respect the fact that how famous he is worldwide, with two generations of fans, and with all the success he has achieved he is still putting out far better music than any other hip-hop artist today.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
a lot of the recent songs sound like they fit right into recovery for me.....as far as him puttin out better music than other rappers, i liked mmlp2 and even considered it his best album in a while. but there are a lot of rappers puttin out quality work compared to eminem's latest shit (that shady compilation+those new pop singles u were feelin werent the go to me)......all u have to do is dig in the underground. dj quik's latest album, big krit, etc. still puttin out quality. just picked up the new wu-tang, and haven't listened yet, but that should be good too....he's not puttin out "far better music" than any1 right now. this aint 2002, where that claim had some merit.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »
a lot of the recent songs sound like they fit right into recovery for me.....as far as him puttin out better music than other rappers, i liked mmlp2 and even considered it his best album in a while. but there are a lot of rappers puttin out quality work compared to eminem's latest shit (that shady compilation+those new pop singles u were feelin werent the go to me)......all u have to do is dig in the underground. dj quik's latest album, big krit, etc. still puttin out quality. just picked up the new wu-tang, and haven't listened yet, but that should be good too....he's not puttin out "far better music" than any1 right now. this aint 2002, where that claim had some merit.

Even though I didn't get into Recovery much, he clearly found a formula during that album that helped him get his life and career back in order... he raps on "Guts Over Fear"- "but id rather make Not Afraid 2 than another We Made You".... so sure, a lot of his tracks now mightve fit on Recovery, but that doesn't mean they aren't stellar cuts.

Name me one track out of all those albums you mentioned that is better than "Guts Over Fear" and I will go check it out

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
off top:

dj quik - puffin the dragon, pet sematary, fuck all night

big krit - soul food, third eye, mind control

but music is circumstantial...u cant just bump them on youtube and be like "naah, that aint better", because a mood/situation will dictate how you hear a song. the quik album is produced much better than anythin em has put out in a minute, i suggest you buy it and let it soak in. and big krit is doin mature music the right way, witout all the extra sap. i'd suggest coppin that 1 too....i'll get back to u on the wu-tang after i bump it.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
TES is still selling because it was his most recent dope album

MMLP is not on that list but it is not too far behind...Total sales are approaching 11 million

daytondanger

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
off top:

big krit - soul food, third eye, mind control

but music is circumstantial...u cant just bump them on youtube and be like "naah, that aint better", because a mood/situation will dictate how you hear a song. the quik album is produced much better than anythin em has put out in a minute, i suggest you buy it and let it soak in. and big krit is doin mature music the right way, witout all the extra sap. i'd suggest coppin that 1 too....i'll get back to u on the wu-tang after i bump it.

I think the best track from Big K.R.I.T's Cadillactica is "Saturdays = Celebration":

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/J207eco5gFk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/J207eco5gFk</a>

Lupe Fiasco's verse on Lost Generation was great as well, never heard anything from him before and he killed the track:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ecHYTm3GK3s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ecHYTm3GK3s</a>

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »

Shallow, first, nice to have you back, where you been homie?  

Second... I agree with Sccit, except I wouldn't call the songs "sappy" or "gayass".  "Stronger" is a great song.  I was not a fan of Encore, Relapse, or even Recovery.  But now he has sort of found his voice again, and much in the way you are suggesting Shallow.

A lot of the songs on "Stronger Than I Was", "Legacy", and what I consider the best hip-hop song and video of the year "Guts Over Fear" are the more mature songs that you were asking for.  And if you want something more favorable to your old school Pete Rock sentiment then you should respect songs like "Rap God".

It's not fair to compare him to the early part of his career.  Of course tracks like "Rock Bottom" may be more expressive and easier to relate to because back then Em was just a struggling artist going dealing with the same sort of problems ordinary people deal with.  But you got to respect the fact that how famous he is worldwide, with two generations of fans, and with all the success he has achieved he is still putting out far better music than any other hip-hop artist today.

I've been around, but mainly in the Sports section.

And forgive me (to both you and Sccit), as I wasn't completely clear as to what I was saying with regards to Rock Bottom and If I had. It's not that I want him to revisit that style of content. I want to revisit that style of expression. He's done the My Name Is and As The World Turns over the top style to death. Those were two songs on the very same album that could very well fir into any of his new albums. If I Had would stick out like a sore thumb. He shouldn't rap about being poor or wanting to make it big. That's not his life. Talk about his current life the same way he spoke about hios past life in those two tracks. AInstead he chooses to rap about his current life the same way he rapped about his past life in Still Don't Give a Fuck or Bonnie and Clyde. Its too much fiction and forced emotions.

I just think he hasn't done enough songs in the vein of If I Had and and he's already mastered and overdone the other style.

And with Pete Rock and I meant the production style rather than the lyrical style that goes with it, but that would be nice too. I liked Rap God but again we are going into way too much. Scale it back. He could theorhetically re-record If I Had and change the content to fit his current problems.

Life.. by Marshall Mathers
What is life?
Life is like a big obstacle
put in front of your optical to slow you down
And everytime you think you gotten past it
it's gonna come back around and tackle you to the damn ground
What are friends?
Friends are people that you think are your friends
But they really your enemies, with secret indentities
and disguises, to hide they true colors
So just when you think you close enough to be brothers
they wanna come back and cut your throat when you ain't lookin
What is money?
Money is what makes a man act funny
Money is the root of all evil
Money'll make them same friends come back around
swearing that they was always down
What is life?

Those words right there could be said by him tomorrow and be just as true as they were back then.